Ham in hot water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 04:13 PM
RE: Ham in hot water
(29-10-2014 01:29 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I thought it was about the son of Noah! LOL.

Basically, the state cannot award a grant or whatever and then say, "No, we don't like the religious affiliations and hiring practices of the awardees..." so Ham will likely win in any suit.

Yet again you demonstrate how little you know about the real world.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Yes, you cannot violate laws and be in possession of government funds (at least, not after you're caught). Smile

You do have the free right of association and the government on its part cannot discriminate against an organization because it includes a statement of faith in its hiring practices, etc.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
30-10-2014, 12:13 PM
(30-10-2014 12:00 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Yes, you cannot violate laws and be in possession of government funds (at least, not after you're caught). Smile

You do have the free right of association and the government on its part cannot discriminate against an organization because it includes a statement of faith in its hiring practices, etc.

As a business you can not discriminate based on religion in your hiring practices or on who you serve. Civil rights Act of 1964, if you need to look at the law. If Ham wants an exception he needs to qualify under title VII of that act. Not sure if he does.

Free right of association only applies to things like unions, trade groups, private clubs, etc. Employers do not qualify.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like wazzel's post
30-10-2014, 12:14 PM
(30-10-2014 12:00 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Yes, you cannot violate laws and be in possession of government funds (at least, not after you're caught). Smile

Wrong again.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-10-2014, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014 12:49 PM by wazzel.)
Also, IIRC, religious groups can only discriminate based on religion if it is considered a "crucial" to the religion. For example a church could require a religious education teacher to be of that religion, but not the janitor. Again Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The case that set the president - Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. Kamehameha School — Bishop Estate
30-10-2014, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014 02:31 PM by Winterwolf00.)

It can sure as hell discriminate when it decides who to give ITS funding to.
The government doesn't owe that idiot anything.
And the fact that you don't know this once again shows your ignorance of how our government works.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
30-10-2014, 04:03 PM
(29-10-2014 02:08 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 01:29 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I thought it was about the son of Noah! LOL.

Basically, the state cannot award a grant or whatever and then say, "No, we don't like the religious affiliations and hiring practices of the awardees..." so Ham will likely win in any suit.

[Image: funny-picture-the-stupid-it-burns.jpg]

I see your burning stupidity with a stupidity explosion.

[Image: SzzSgAQ.png]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Aren't we assuming they are discriminating by asking for disclosure?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
31-10-2014, 10:06 AM
(31-10-2014 10:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Aren't we assuming they are discriminating by asking for disclosure?

No because they went beyond that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-10-2014, 10:29 AM
(31-10-2014 10:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Aren't we assuming they are discriminating by asking for disclosure?
The question itself is discriminatory. When you are interviewing a person for a position you can not ask about religious views or have it on an application.