Ham in hot water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 12:09 PM
RE: Ham in hot water
(28-10-2014 05:26 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I think this is old news. I can distinctly remember thinking "Why on Earth would anyone but a Christian want to work there in the first place?".
For a paycheck with which to put food on the table. When you've been unemployed long enough you don't get too picky about who's signing the check.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like f stop's post
05-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Q -

Your argument isn't terribly consistent. Let's try a quick thought experiment.

I will start a museum for critical thought. I will require all employees to sign a waiver saying they don't believe in any sort of deity, religion or supernatural absurdity.

What do you anticipate the public reaction will be?
05-11-2014, 03:14 PM
(05-11-2014 02:48 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Q -

I will start a museum for critical thought. I will require all employees to sign a waiver saying they don't believe in any sort of deity, religion or supernatural absurdity.

I would LIE to get in. HAHAHAHAHA! Put one over the evil atheists. *I* LIED when I signed that piece of paper saying I support rational thought. THAT'LL really show them!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-11-2014, 03:50 PM
(28-10-2014 05:26 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I think this is old news. I can distinctly remember thinking "Why on Earth would anyone but a Christian want to work there in the first place?".

I would totally take that job. In a heartbeat. If they can make it through a single day without harassing me to an actionable degree I would be amazed.

That place is a lawsuit gold mine just waiting to happen.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
06-11-2014, 10:45 AM
(05-11-2014 06:58 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 02:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  For example, I don't know the length and breadth of the universe and whether there might be supernatural beings somewhere else in the universe or outside of it. That would take a large amount of special knowledge.

This is true. I also do not know if there are supernatural entities. I do know know whether or not YHWH, Allah, leprechauns, or wizards exist. I will not assume they do until I see some evidence of their existence. Claiming that one of those exists and that the others do not is incredibly dishonest.

In a decision-theoretic context, I can see for myself the issues in the Qu'ran, for one example, having read about two-thirds of it (in English, admittedly, not Arabic). And don't think that wasn't fun! (Because it wasn't.) Smile I can see statements in the Bible and see if they're true or false, too, same as anyone else. And since I began my pre-Christian background as a skeptic, I first read the Bible as an adult without any confirmatory bias. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Allah was not a good choice that you made because the Koran is invalidated by the presence of a Jewish State in Israel. This is why there is so much violence from the moslem world to eradicate Israel. Issac's descendants, not Ishmael's, inherited the land.

Again, and I know you have a background in Christianity, but your assumption from a relativistic view that absence of consensus (or in this case, even absence of evidence) means absence of truth, is incorrect.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2014, 10:47 AM

If its critical thought, you are showing a bias. If it's skeptical thought, the right group has come together.

You see, where everyone's argument falls apart is that churches all over America are tax-exempt and absolutely hire pastors, priests, etc. precisely according to extremely specific criteria.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
06-11-2014, 12:46 PM
(06-11-2014 10:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

If its critical thought, you are showing a bias. If it's skeptical thought, the right group has come together.

You see, where everyone's argument falls apart is that churches all over America are tax-exempt and absolutely hire pastors, priests, etc. precisely according to extremely specific criteria.

Yes, because that is a legal exception. A 'museum' does not have that protection.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
(06-11-2014 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 10:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If its critical thought, you are showing a bias. If it's skeptical thought, the right group has come together.

Yes, because that is a legal exception. A 'museum' does not have that protection.

You can have a museum in a church, just like you can have a mausoleum inside an atheist society hall.

06-11-2014, 02:01 PM
(06-11-2014 01:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, because that is a legal exception. A 'museum' does not have that protection.

You can have a museum in a church, just like you can have a mausoleum inside an atheist society hall.

But that's not what we're talking about. Do try to stay on track. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-11-2014, 02:22 PM
(06-11-2014 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 01:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You can have a museum in a church, just like you can have a mausoleum inside an atheist society hall.

But that's not what we're talking about. Do try to stay on track. Drinking Beverage

I apologize, I'm ready for a new track. You are saying that Ken Ham was jeopardizing his funding and I stand corrected.

However, do you think withholding his funding is any way an abrogation of his freedom of association?