Ham in hot water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2014, 02:34 PM
RE: Ham in hot water
(06-11-2014 02:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  But that's not what we're talking about. Do try to stay on track. Drinking Beverage

I apologize, I'm ready for a new track. You are saying that Ken Ham was jeopardizing his funding and I stand corrected.

However, do you think withholding his funding is any way an abrogation of his freedom of association?

No.

Dude isn't being stopped from hanging around his ilk; he can still do that as long as he wants.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 03:19 PM
(06-11-2014 02:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  But that's not what we're talking about. Do try to stay on track. Drinking Beverage

I apologize, I'm ready for a new track. You are saying that Ken Ham was jeopardizing his funding and I stand corrected.

However, do you think withholding his funding is any way an abrogation of his freedom of association?

No.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2014, 10:47 PM
(06-11-2014 10:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 02:48 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Q -

Your argument isn't terribly consistent. Let's try a quick thought experiment.

I will start a museum for critical thought. I will require all employees to sign a waiver saying they don't believe in any sort of deity, religion or supernatural absurdity.

What do you anticipate the public reaction will be?

If its critical thought, you are showing a bias. If it's skeptical thought, the right group has come together.

You see, where everyone's argument falls apart is that churches all over America are tax-exempt and absolutely hire pastors, priests, etc. precisely according to extremely specific criteria.

There is an exception for things like ministers and religious educators. So a religious school or church can have those requirements for specific positions because they are critical to that specific job. It can not be a blanket policy of the institution. So a church could not require the janitor to be of that religion and religious school could not require the entire staff to be the same as there sponsoring religious. I provided you this information and reference already. Not a violation of free association already been shot down by the supreme court.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
07-11-2014, 08:17 AM
(06-11-2014 02:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, do you think withholding his funding is any way an abrogation of his freedom of association?

No.

Sometimes, when you have a group with disproportionate power and privilege, they take it as a slight, or even an attack when they're told they can't have their way on everything they want, always, forever. This is not an attack on Ken Ham; this is him being required to play by the same rules as everyone else.
07-11-2014, 08:53 AM
(30-10-2014 12:13 PM)wazzel Wrote:  As a business you can not discriminate based on religion in your hiring practices or on who you serve. Civil rights Act of 1964, if you need to look at the law. If Ham wants an exception he needs to qualify under title VII of that act. Not sure if he does.

Free right of association only applies to things like unions, trade groups, private clubs, etc. Employers do not qualify.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as currently amended only applies to employers who employ a certain amount of employees( I think it is 25). A small dentist office could refuse to hire a black woman because she is black unless it was forbidden by some state law.
07-11-2014, 08:58 AM
(07-11-2014 08:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 12:13 PM)wazzel Wrote:  As a business you can not discriminate based on religion in your hiring practices or on who you serve. Civil rights Act of 1964, if you need to look at the law. If Ham wants an exception he needs to qualify under title VII of that act. Not sure if he does.

Free right of association only applies to things like unions, trade groups, private clubs, etc. Employers do not qualify.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as currently amended only applies to employers who employ a certain amount of employees( I think it is 25). A small dentist office could refuse to hire a black woman because she is black unless it was forbidden by some state law.
No they can not, not hiring based on race is against the law.
09-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Good 'old Ken is at it again

Of course, the more he spends on billboards the less he has to complete his ark so that's a minor plus.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-12-2014, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 09:09 PM by CleverUsername.)
(09-12-2014 05:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Good 'old Ken is at it again

Of course, the more he spends on billboards the less he has to complete his ark so that's a minor plus.

A ship needs to be built before someone can sink it. Drinking Beverage

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
10-12-2014, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 12:33 AM by Bear100.)
To be serious for one moment, it really is sad to see time and resources that could've been used for scientific research or helping the poor is being wasted to promote this blatant fairy tale as history.
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post
10-12-2014, 01:03 AM
(09-12-2014 08:33 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 05:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Good 'old Ken is at it again

A ship needs to be built before someone can sink it. Drinking Beverage

Someone needs to remind him that a 600+ year old Jew and his three sons managed it in a few years with nothing but gopher wood and hand tools...

But I guess millions of dollars and access to heavy mechanized equipment, resources, and knowledge (AutoCAD, pre-treated lumber, steel, bulldozers, etc.) just makes things too hard for him.

Which do you think he'll realize first? That the story is bullshit? Or that god clearly isn't on his side and helping him out?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post