Handling Peer Pressure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Handling Peer Pressure
So I'm a Senior in High School and this Friday the whole class is having a Senior skip day. They will be going up to this party place and I'm pretty sure there will be alcohol. Now there are people begging me to go and I refuse. I think it's stupid and not morally good for me to do. The thing is that as a Christian I could just tell people that God wouldn't want me to do this and as someone who preaches this sets a bad example. It's different as an atheist. I have a few Christian friends who I know aren't going. As an atheist this still doesn't seem right to me, but it seems like a lot of Christians I know wouldn't do these things because of their faith. What do you all think about all of this? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goldenarm's post
11-10-2016, 05:25 PM
RE: Handling Peer Pressure
You could just say you woke up not feeling well and just not go if you didn't want to get into your personal stance. Or you could just tell them drinking is just not for you, that your just not into it, you don't like the taste, the way it makes you feel, or whatever. If you don't want to go, you shouldn't go. Always follow your own path, not the path left by someone else. You'll always be happier you did.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
11-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Jenny said the important things. That you are talking about it is a testament to your individuality.
Don't fret so much about morality and taking some higher ground on it. That's a bad path and a negative mindset.
The really good reason is, bad things are likely to happen, consequences that far outweigh any benefits.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
11-10-2016, 05:40 PM
When I was a senior I was fairly antisocial and I skipped senior ditch day. I skipped other days of my own choosing and preferred reefer over alcohol. Be your self , that is what matters.

Front row seats for the Lancelot Link and the Evolution Revolution Reunion Tour!
[+] 3 users Like chimp3's post
11-10-2016, 06:30 PM
When my kids talked to me about things they didn't want to participate in, but were feeling peer pressure, I just told them to say, "if I screw up, I'll be in more trouble with my dad than I would be if I got in trouble with you guys!". They generally resisted that crap, but I had them knowing that they could rely on me to be that "asshole dad that spoils the party", if they didn't really want to go. I had few problems with them, and they're all a lot better behaved than I was at that age. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
11-10-2016, 06:31 PM
(11-10-2016 05:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You could just say you woke up not feeling well and just not go if you didn't want to get into your personal stance. Or you could just tell them drinking is just not for you, that your just not into it, you don't like the taste, the way it makes you feel, or whatever. If you don't want to go, you shouldn't go. Always follow your own path, not the path left by someone else. You'll always be happier you did.

Thank you!
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
11-10-2016, 06:32 PM
(11-10-2016 05:36 PM)skyking Wrote:  Jenny said the important things. That you are talking about it is a testament to your individuality.
Don't fret so much about morality and taking some higher ground on it. That's a bad path and a negative mindset.
The really good reason is, bad things are likely to happen, consequences that far outweigh any benefits.

Thanks and true that's a big reason I'm not going is because of the consequences that could arise. Also what is a better mindset in terms of morality in your opinion?
11-10-2016, 06:33 PM
(11-10-2016 05:40 PM)chimp3 Wrote:  When I was a senior I was fairly antisocial and I skipped senior ditch day. I skipped other days of my own choosing and preferred reefer over alcohol. Be your self , that is what matters.

Thanks!
11-10-2016, 06:36 PM
(11-10-2016 06:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  When my kids talked to me about things they didn't want to participate in, but were feeling peer pressure, I just told them to say, "if I screw up, I'll be in more trouble with my dad than I would be if I got in trouble with you guys!". They generally resisted that crap, but I had them knowing that they could rely on me to be that "asshole dad that spoils the party", if they didn't really want to go. I had few problems with them, and they're all a lot better behaved than I was at that age. Tongue

That's great! A good idea too haha. Honestly if my parents found out I would be screwed. Plus I would definitely get the," You need to get right with the Lord again" speech if I participated while still living with them. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
11-10-2016, 06:42 PM
We didn't even have a senior skip day when I was in high school, back in the Jurassic Age.

If you want to participate, that's fine. And if you don't want to drink, don't--and you don't need to give a reason. We all tend to think other people are more interested in our reasons for an action than they actually are. The people who care about you won't need an explanation; the people who don't will be bored and also won't need an explanation. It's really nobody else's business. You'll find that it's not actually that hard to say, "I'll have a Coke."

I will note that it's extremely instructive and a useful exercise occasionally to be sober while people around you are drinking.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post