Handling Peer Pressure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 01:40 AM
RE: Handling Peer Pressure
The other guys have already covered all the best options, with which I totally agree.

Alcohol is actually a CNS (central nervous system) depressant. Depressants are a class of drug which slow down brain functioning, and are commonly referred to as "downers". In other words, alcohol doesn't elevate your state of mind, it simply masks your inhibitions or—more importantly—dulls your sense of rationale, coherence, and consequence. (Technically, it interferes with the brain's excitatory neurotransmitters.)

I agree that you need to take a firm stance and follow your beliefs about not consuming alcohol. When I'm in that situation, and I have to drive, I drink lemon, lime and soda with ice. It looks as though your drinking a "real" drink, and keeps any untoward critics happy in their ignorance.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
12-10-2016, 05:38 AM
(11-10-2016 09:22 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 06:42 PM)julep Wrote:  We didn't even have a senior skip day when I was in high school, back WHEN DINOSAURS ROAMED THE EARTH.

If you want to participate, that's fine. And if you don't want to drink, don't--and you don't need to give a reason. We all tend to think other people are more interested in our reasons for an action than they actually are. The people who care about you won't need an explanation; the people who don't will be bored and also won't need an explanation. It's really nobody else's business. You'll find that it's not actually that hard to say, "I'll have a Coke."

I will note that it's extremely instructive and a useful exercise occasionally to be sober while people around you are drinking.
Got it. Thank you!

Fixt it for you!. Also, for goldenarm- whatever you accept as a beverage, if you do go to said party, make sure that it is opened by you, or in your presence. Lots of pranksters.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
12-10-2016, 05:42 AM
(11-10-2016 05:03 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  So I'm a Senior in High School and this Friday the whole class is having a Senior skip day. They will be going up to this party place and I'm pretty sure there will be alcohol. Now there are people begging me to go and I refuse. I think it's stupid and not morally good for me to do. The thing is that as a Christian I could just tell people that God wouldn't want me to do this and as someone who preaches this sets a bad example. It's different as an atheist. I have a few Christian friends who I know aren't going. As an atheist this still doesn't seem right to me, but it seems like a lot of Christians I know wouldn't do these things because of their faith. What do you all think about all of this? Thanks.

Maybe I'm missing something, for example, I don't know what a senior skip day is. But you haven't explained why having a party and drinking alcohol is a bad thing or why you don't want to go.

If you could explain that, then that's all you need regardless of whether you are a Christian or atheist. There doesn't have to be any morality involved, it just might not interest you, or you don't enjoy getting drunk, or you want to spend the time doing something more productive or whatever.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-10-2016, 05:42 AM
(11-10-2016 08:56 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  If you've gone through puberty then your liver won't care much. Unless you drink copiously and frequently it's pretty hard to damage. Ditto for your brain and other organs. You can completely screw yourself at a very young age if you pickle yourself with years of binge drinking but a drink now and then or even getting wasted every once in a while is unlikely to do any long-term damage unless you drink to the point of alcohol poisoning.

As others have mentioned, the bigger risk is the short-term psychological effects. People say that alcohol changes people but that isn't quite right. What it does is knocks down your inhibitions. That lets you do all the things that normally you might think twice about. That can be a real blast if you know what you're doing and if you're with a group that you trust. With a large group of people that you don't know well you can pretty much count on a few true bastards showing their colours one way or another. Listen to the gossip after Skip Day and you'll here some great stories and some real ugliness too.

Some times inhibitions just get in the way of a good time. Some times they get in the way of a very bad idea. And sometimes it isn't your lack of inhibitions that's the problem. Drunken bastards don't often care who they hurt.

For your first time drinking pick some close friends that you trust and keep it moderate. That way you'll remember getting silly and won't have a hang-over straight out of Revelations.

Thanks for the great advice! That I will definitely do.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
12-10-2016, 09:55 AM
(12-10-2016 01:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The other guys have already covered all the best options, with which I totally agree.

Alcohol is actually a CNS (central nervous system) depressant. Depressants are a class of drug which slow down brain functioning, and are commonly referred to as "downers". In other words, alcohol doesn't elevate your state of mind, it simply masks your inhibitions or—more importantly—dulls your sense of rationale, coherence, and consequence. (Technically, it interferes with the brain's excitatory neurotransmitters.)

I agree that you need to take a firm stance and follow your beliefs about not consuming alcohol. When I'm in that situation, and I have to drive, I drink lemon, lime and soda with ice. It looks as though your drinking a "real" drink, and keeps any untoward critics happy in their ignorance.

Thanks for the advice!

[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
12-10-2016, 02:06 PM
(12-10-2016 05:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 05:03 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  So I'm a Senior in High School and this Friday the whole class is having a Senior skip day. They will be going up to this party place and I'm pretty sure there will be alcohol. Now there are people begging me to go and I refuse. I think it's stupid and not morally good for me to do. The thing is that as a Christian I could just tell people that God wouldn't want me to do this and as someone who preaches this sets a bad example. It's different as an atheist. I have a few Christian friends who I know aren't going. As an atheist this still doesn't seem right to me, but it seems like a lot of Christians I know wouldn't do these things because of their faith. What do you all think about all of this? Thanks.

Maybe I'm missing something, for example, I don't know what a senior skip day is. But you haven't explained why having a party and drinking alcohol is a bad thing or why you don't want to go.

If you could explain that, then that's all you need regardless of whether you are a Christian or atheist. There doesn't have to be any morality involved, it just might not interest you, or you don't enjoy getting drunk, or you want to spend the time doing something more productive or whatever.

My parents will get a call from the school saying I was absent. Everyone drinking the alcohol is underage and someone could tell. I need good attendance to exempt a final. That's my main reasons.

12-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Being complacent to other people's stupid ideas of "a good time" - is probably the WORST way to enjoy yourself.........................

If you want to take a day off -- and do WHATEVER --- for your enjoyment --- DO IT........

You'll enjoy your day -- and if it doesn't involve chugging vast quantities of alcohol --- you'll also have a great day tomorrow, tormenting the morons who do......................

Hint --- bring very greasy, spicy, smelly food -- and eat next to the people who were out drinking like a sailor --- who piss you off regularly...........

Revenge is a dish best eaten - and not puked back up....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-10-2016, 03:17 PM
(12-10-2016 02:14 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Being complacent to other people's stupid ideas of "a good time" - is probably the WORST way to enjoy yourself.........................

If you want to take a day off -- and do WHATEVER --- for your enjoyment --- DO IT........

You'll enjoy your day -- and if it doesn't involve chugging vast quantities of alcohol --- you'll also have a great day tomorrow, tormenting the morons who do......................

Hint --- bring very greasy, spicy, smelly food -- and eat next to the people who were out drinking like a sailor --- who piss you off regularly...........

Revenge is a dish best eaten - and not puked back up....

Big Grin
Haha thanks! I will definitely have to try that someday.

12-10-2016, 06:31 PM

I think it really depends on your situation.
If you don't care about any of the people who are going to the party then fuck it. You can skip the day and spend it at home or go to the movies or something else if you just don't want to go to the party.

But as you say a lot are begging you to come by. Well you can probably still go while staying out of trouble at the same time. Not sure how old you are. How old is a senior in high school? I am not from the US. But whatever, just have a drink, stay for an hour or two and then leave. That way you stay out of trouble, you do show up, but you can leave after a while without getting shitfaced and without troubles.
As long as your brain does the thinking and not some odd instinct or your hormones or alcohol or whatever drugs you run into at the party, things should be fine. You can still have fun, dance, talk, laugh, etc. if you find it hard to find an excuse to leave, just have a friend call you at a specific time so you can be like "oh shit, I gotta go now. See ya guys"

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
12-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Alcohol is really fun. Go.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post