Handling Peer Pressure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 08:00 PM
RE: Handling Peer Pressure
(12-10-2016 06:31 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 05:03 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  So I'm a Senior in High School and this Friday the whole class is having a Senior skip day. They will be going up to this party place and I'm pretty sure there will be alcohol. Now there are people begging me to go and I refuse. I think it's stupid and not morally good for me to do. The thing is that as a Christian I could just tell people that God wouldn't want me to do this and as someone who preaches this sets a bad example. It's different as an atheist. I have a few Christian friends who I know aren't going. As an atheist this still doesn't seem right to me, but it seems like a lot of Christians I know wouldn't do these things because of their faith. What do you all think about all of this? Thanks.

I think it really depends on your situation.
If you don't care about any of the people who are going to the party then fuck it. You can skip the day and spend it at home or go to the movies or something else if you just don't want to go to the party.

But as you say a lot are begging you to come by. Well you can probably still go while staying out of trouble at the same time. Not sure how old you are. How old is a senior in high school? I am not from the US. But whatever, just have a drink, stay for an hour or two and then leave. That way you stay out of trouble, you do show up, but you can leave after a while without getting shitfaced and without troubles.
As long as your brain does the thinking and not some odd instinct or your hormones or alcohol or whatever drugs you run into at the party, things should be fine. You can still have fun, dance, talk, laugh, etc. if you find it hard to find an excuse to leave, just have a friend call you at a specific time so you can be like "oh shit, I gotta go now. See ya guys"
Thanks, but this specific situation I explained in a previous comment on why it wouldn't be a good idea this time. I'm 18 btw, but I'm an older Senior. If all failed and I went for some reason then I can do that! I appreciate it.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2016, 05:52 AM
Well in that case, it doesn't matter why you don't want to go, the reason is really not relevant. If you don't want to go, you don't go. Nothing against skipping a day when everybody in your year does, you can easily do something else. Anything you like, just enjoy the day.
If someone asks why you are not going, you say you don't want to go. If they don't accept that answer, then that is not your problem.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
13-10-2016, 08:56 AM
(12-10-2016 07:57 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Alcohol is really fun. Go.

Jokes aside, that is certainly an option with both pros and cons. The main point isn't that you shouldn't go get wasted. If that's what you want and you truly believe the perceived positives outweigh the perceived negatives, then go for it. The main point is don't let the opinions of others who don't have your interests in mind be the determining factor.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
14-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Update:
I made the correct decision by not going after all. Some student's grades were negatively affected, the cops showed up, and a few people got in a car accident. I'm glad I thought everything out and didn't take any chances. Thanks for the help everyone!

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
[+] 3 users Like goldenarm's post
15-10-2016, 05:40 AM
(12-10-2016 07:57 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Alcohol is really fun. Go.

Agreed... alcohol can be fun, but not in excess, no binging, and no driving. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post