Happier as an atheist then i ever was a christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2016 03:38 PM by anonymousyam.)
Happier as an atheist then i ever was a christian
If anyone else remembers my introduction i posted my really odd story of when i was a christian and how when i was a christian i was always in the cycle of sin and repent of that sin over and over again because i was convinced that i was gonna burn in hell forever because some conman went to my church once and did a sermon on the underworld.

All of this happened in early 2014 when i was just a 13 year old kid and lasted till about summer of 2015 when i really stopped caring about religion and lived my life as a secular culturally christian who technically believed in god but did not really care that much anymore as i stopped worrying about sin and the rest of the nonsense in the bible as time went on.

Now it is may 17th 2016 i have been an agnostic atheist since febuary of this year and since then life for me has gotten better. I am no longer as worried about going to hell anymore since i will not worship a being that tortures people forever and if my family was in hell i would rather join them then worship an evil god.

I now realize that this is the only life i get and that i should live it to the fullest because in a mere 10 to 80 years ill be dead there is nothing to prove that an afterlife exists aside from untrustworthy testimony's that the mind of the dying created.

Do to my realization of there only being one life i am now more of a confident and fun person because i don't want to die with regrets in life and life does not give a guarantee date on it. Like the christian preacher said this day could be your last but instead of accepting jesus i accept the fact that i must live my life without regrets because this day could be my last and i do not get to live forever in heaven meaning my life is more valuable knowing that it is limited.

I honestly don't see were the unhappy atheist meme comes from? i feel better in life then i ever did while accepting the faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like anonymousyam's post
17-05-2016, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2016 03:39 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Happier as an atheist then i ever was a christian
Congrats, stay happy!

I think the unhappy atheist meme/idea is just a tribal attempt to encourage "us vs them" sentiments. Something along the lines of, "Since they don't have what WE have, their life can't be nearly as good/happy/fulfilled as ours." Basically, something to cement group superiority/solidarity.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Edit: It also serves as a way to dismiss atheists, whose existence is a pretty big threat to church attendance and religiosity in general. Knowing that people exist who don't believe in a god can get you thinking. And well, that's heavily discouraged after a certain point Wink.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
17-05-2016, 05:59 PM
I've wondered about that myself. Becoming a non-believer has enabled me to shed a lot of irrational fears and to stop trying to be something that I'm not. So that was a huge contribution to my well being. On the other hand, I find that I've been less likely to step far from my comfort zone, because I no longer believe in a divine safety net that will prevent me from failing or experiencing the consequences of bad choices. I realize that it's just a challenge that I need to work on, but sometimes I miss the conveniences of being delusional.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaiscio's post
17-05-2016, 06:20 PM
At age 15? Well done. I was in my twenties when I let it go. I wouldn't go back either.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
17-05-2016, 06:47 PM
(17-05-2016 06:20 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  At age 15? Well done. I was in my twenties when I let it go. I wouldn't go back either.

I second that well done! I was in my 50s when I made the leap. Though I was a doubter for decades, and didn't want to admit it.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
(17-05-2016 05:59 PM)Kaiscio Wrote:  I've wondered about that myself. Becoming a non-believer has enabled me to shed a lot of irrational fears and to stop trying to be something that I'm not. So that was a huge contribution to my well being. On the other hand, I find that I've been less likely to step far from my comfort zone, because I no longer believe in a divine safety net that will prevent me from failing or experiencing the consequences of bad choices. I realize that it's just a challenge that I need to work on, but sometimes I miss the conveniences of being delusional.

This is something I have thought about too and I can certainly identify with what you say there. It's like we gain something, but also lose something, when we discard these beliefs. I think it is also quite scary, or has been for me, to know that you are master of your own house, or responsible for ourselves, even with the knowledge we have conscious power over our own choices and decisions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dramamask's post
07-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Yes, happiness is a good descriptor of the feelings of freedom from divine monitoring combined with the directness of personal responsibility...they are both a weight taken off one's psyche, and a huge step towards living in the moment.

I was thinking the other day of the essential futility of prayer, and the burden of having to ask or beg for a good outcome...and how it must be limiting to think in those terms. Better to live a day free than a lifetime in chains.

Enjoy, enjoy!

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
[+] 1 user Likes larry-new's post
07-06-2016, 02:59 PM
I feel ruffly the same.

My mine is a little more at ease, not worring if i'm doing something god approved. And I've spent more time talking about religion and God now then I've ever had when I was a believer.

But as far as my day to day life, and relationship's go. No change.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
08-06-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm glad you are feeling better as an atheist, don't let anyone feel you are less than for not believing. You have gained so much by losing religion, an open mind is one thing and it's a great thing to have. I find that theists are closed off to new information for example.

I've not experienced the unhappy atheist meme myself but it kind of makes me laugh because I've suffered depression and anxiety disorders in my life and it has nothing to do with my atheism. If anything it would make me feel like just ending it all since I get to go to Heaven forever or maybe trapped in an endless cycle of torture if I go to Hell, then I'd never want to die and I guess try to find the secret to immortality.

Religion may make some people happier and connected to others but I feel connection to others and to the universe, no need for a sky wizard. I guess it might feel good to think a divine being loves you but so what? Would it feel good to know there is a planet out there of a trillion souls who watch us all the time and they love you? They're just a big fan and only want good things for you but you'll never meet them or speak to them? That's what God is like to me, just this far away being that cares but also judges, ummm,no thanks.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
11-06-2016, 06:56 PM
I have always been an unbeliever, and I'm miserable.