Happier as an atheist then i ever was a christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 07:22 PM
RE: Happier as an atheist then i ever was a christian
(11-06-2016 06:56 PM)carusmm Wrote:  I have always been an unbeliever, and I'm miserable.

Maybe you're miserable because of other problems. Ever seen a psychologist? It might be helpful.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2016, 07:23 PM
(11-06-2016 07:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:56 PM)carusmm Wrote:  I have always been an unbeliever, and I'm miserable.

Maybe you're miserable because of other problems. Ever seen a psychologist? It might be helpful.

I don't need a quack. I need a new drug.
[+] 1 user Likes carusmm's post
12-06-2016, 03:08 PM
(11-06-2016 07:23 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 07:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Maybe you're miserable because of other problems. Ever seen a psychologist? It might be helpful.

I don't need a quack. I need a new drug.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
10-07-2016, 07:56 PM
ever consider that you were never a Christian? that just because you "acted" (to the best of your perception) like one, that that didn't qualify you as a Christian? Or that you never understood the religion. Maybe you never genuinely believed in it, and thus the household you were raised in doesn't make you a post-Christian.

???
for a pragmatic approach.

because that is the way it should be said, if that is the way it is.

think.
10-07-2016, 08:00 PM
(10-07-2016 07:56 PM)AsIseephit Wrote:  ever consider that you were never a Christian? that just because you "acted" (to the best of your perception) like one, that that didn't qualify you as a Christian? Or that you never understood the religion. Maybe you never genuinely believed in it, and thus the household you were raised in doesn't make you a post-Christian.

???
for a pragmatic approach.

because that is the way it should be said, if that is the way it is.

think.

Wow arrogant enough?

How many logical fallicies did I just count? Consider

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Lol, I love the "you were never a Christian" bullshit; just another mental gymnastic technique to help the weak minded deal with the fact that just maybe not everyone thinks like you do, and a way to say "It's not the Bible, IT WAS YOU". LOL.

Anyway, I'm definitely happier for several reasons. One, I never liked church. It's boring. I'm an introvert too, so going several times a week and having to act all happy and social was such a chore and made me so uncomfortable. I hated having to act like I was friends with people I really had nothing in common with, or sometimes people I honestly didn't like very much.

But probably the biggest reason is, for someone who thinks critically, church is the most frustrating place in the entire world you can go, because you simply can't apply logic to things you talk about. Bible studies were a charade of logical thinking but only because it was "Christian" logic; which basically meant you could sound smart in your replies but only through the filter of it meshing with the Bible and specifically the denomination I was in (CoC).

So for example, you could use real logic to poke holes in other religions and denominations, and even to the point of almost ridiculing them. But don't you dare attempt to use said logic when it came our own beliefs, because you couldn't do that. Any critical analysis of the church's beliefs and practices would be met with the awesome logic of "It's in the Bible, God said it's true, case closed". Not once did I ever witness a real discussion of oh....where the Bible actually came from, or any discussions of contradictions or even any inconsistencies of the character of God within the book. It's so bad that even when you point out things like if Hitler is bad for the genocide of the Jews, then God is bad for his decimation of the entire world in the Flood and the ordered slaughter of the Canaanites, then I shit you not the reply is "God did no wrong, because he can do no wrong. Him ordering the Flood and the clearing of Canaan is good because he wanted it".

Stuff like that would make my head want to explode and scream "THIS MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE!!!!".
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
12-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Hug

And HELLO! Big Grin
24-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Atheism can go both ways. You can start appreciating life more because you realize it's extremely likely that this is all you get, but on the other hand you might get depressed because of that same fact. I'm glad you didn't though. Me, I'm neutral on the subject. I certainly used to be happier as a theist, in some ways, but I also used to be brainwashed to a certain extent, so I definitely enjoy being a skeptic more than I did being a theist.
09-09-2016, 03:07 PM
(12-08-2016 10:01 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Lol, I love the "you were never a Christian" bullshit; just another mental gymnastic technique to help the weak minded deal with the fact that just maybe not everyone thinks like you do, and a way to say "It's not the Bible, IT WAS YOU". LOL.

Anyway, I'm definitely happier for several reasons. One, I never liked church. It's boring. I'm an introvert too, so going several times a week and having to act all happy and social was such a chore and made me so uncomfortable. I hated having to act like I was friends with people I really had nothing in common with, or sometimes people I honestly didn't like very much.

But probably the biggest reason is, for someone who thinks critically, church is the most frustrating place in the entire world you can go, because you simply can't apply logic to things you talk about. Bible studies were a charade of logical thinking but only because it was "Christian" logic; which basically meant you could sound smart in your replies but only through the filter of it meshing with the Bible and specifically the denomination I was in (CoC).

So for example, you could use real logic to poke holes in other religions and denominations, and even to the point of almost ridiculing them. But don't you dare attempt to use said logic when it came our own beliefs, because you couldn't do that. Any critical analysis of the church's beliefs and practices would be met with the awesome logic of "It's in the Bible, God said it's true, case closed". Not once did I ever witness a real discussion of oh....where the Bible actually came from, or any discussions of contradictions or even any inconsistencies of the character of God within the book. It's so bad that even when you point out things like if Hitler is bad for the genocide of the Jews, then God is bad for his decimation of the entire world in the Flood and the ordered slaughter of the Canaanites, then I shit you not the reply is "God did no wrong, because he can do no wrong. Him ordering the Flood and the clearing of Canaan is good because he wanted it".

Stuff like that would make my head want to explode and scream "THIS MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE!!!!".
Wow. Your post just nailed it. I too was caught up in that world asking questions anwered with the same old unacceptable blah blah blah. Sometimes I'd wanna just scream at those folks and ask if they are really heading themselves.
At are 52 I am free of those idiots and there poluted way of thinking. Life is good without the chains of a God.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes greenmonster714's post
02-10-2016, 01:15 AM
Check out the 38th chapter of job. Or the book of Ezekiel. I dare you