Happy 4th of July!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 08:36 PM
RE: Happy 4th of July!
My man totally outdid himself. We revved up the smoker and used it for ribs...

Oh my.....they were amazing.

Oh, and the other stuff, slaw and garlic bread was good too.

And did I mention brownies with a layer of peanutbutter and topped with chocolate frosting.

Drooling

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-07-2017, 08:47 PM
(04-07-2017 08:30 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 02:33 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  [Image: lets-proudly-wave-our-american-flags-lf6.png]

Watching a baseball highlight show I noticed that every (I think) team had a small American flag sewn on the sleeve for the holiday. Every single one was backward.

Stars always go in the top left corner, unless you're signaling distress, then the flag is upside down.

Reminded me of the picture of the Tea Party rally where several flags were likewise displayed incorrectly.

(Pictures not provided because I'm on my phone. If you need proof, just search for it, 'kay?)

You are correct that the field is at the top left. I'm not sure where it comes from, but the USAF has the flag backwards on uniforms (they are embroidered that way). ALL of my eldest son's uniforms are that way. Huh Then again, I didn't wear a flag anywhere on my uniform when I was in the US Navy. We knew who we belonged to. Drinking Beverage

Oh, yeah- happy Fourth of July, everyone!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
04-07-2017, 09:07 PM
(04-07-2017 08:30 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 02:33 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  [Image: lets-proudly-wave-our-american-flags-lf6.png]

Watching a baseball highlight show I noticed that every (I think) team had a small American flag sewn on the sleeve for the holiday. Every single one was backward.

Stars always go in the top left corner, unless you're signaling distress, then the flag is upside down.

Reminded me of the picture of the Tea Party rally where several flags were likewise displayed incorrectly.

(Pictures not provided because I'm on my phone. If you need proof, just search for it, 'kay?)

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag's own right.

http://www.usflag.org/flagpatch.html

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Totally had an epic "what is God and how do we know if he's real" talk with my seven year old. Fireworks going off all around us. Kid is super smart, if confused about reality, and I was totally unhelpful on the whole how do we know about reality or god part, but come on, have you met me?

I think the best thing that was reinforced was skepticism and love. For all of the super deep questioning we did, the fact that we don't know but we love each other anyway was the best part of it.

High fives under shit blowing up beautifully around us was cool.

And I'm pretty sure he's keen on the fact that stories are just stories, no matter who tells you said story.

I need to go to bed. Good holiday. Blush

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
04-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Our neighborhood is awesome with fireworks!

Some near us had some Disneyland grade shit.

It was totally fantastic to watch from here.

We had some cool shit too. Omg it was soooooo much fun.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-07-2017, 05:07 AM
(04-07-2017 09:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 08:30 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  Watching a baseball highlight show I noticed that every (I think) team had a small American flag sewn on the sleeve for the holiday. Every single one was backward.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag's own right.

http://www.usflag.org/flagpatch.html

Okay. Thanks for that. Still, it looks stupid and I think it's a bad idea.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
05-07-2017, 05:11 AM
(04-07-2017 11:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Our neighborhood is awesome with fireworks!

Some near us had some Disneyland grade shit.

It was totally fantastic to watch from here.

We had some cool shit too. Omg it was soooooo much fun.

> “The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations (fireworks), from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.” (John Adams, in a letter to his wife Abigail) Thumbsup
05-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Had a lovely time at a coworker's. Librarian and her boyfriend, my friend, and one of the art profs all got together to make burgers and sit around and talk. (Granted, we did get a bit jumpy when some idiot started shooting his gun in the air nearby...in a neighborhood that had people shot last week.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
05-07-2017, 11:00 PM
We had a big dinner on the deck, then instead of setting fireworks off (aside from getting what we could out of some old sparklers) we just setup a fire pit in the backyard and made s'mores.

I liked it better than fireworks. It felt more like nice family time than the fireworks do. Also they tasted really good Yes

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
06-07-2017, 02:45 PM
(05-07-2017 11:00 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  We had a big dinner on the deck, then instead of setting fireworks off (aside from getting what we could out of some old sparklers) we just setup a fire pit in the backyard and made s'mores.

I liked it better than fireworks. It felt more like nice family time than the fireworks do. Also they tasted really good Yes

Replace s'mores with rum & beer, and your 4th sounds almost exactly the same as mine. Thumbsup I only just 1 hour ago, finally sweated out the last of the alcohol consumed that night. Hobo Worth it. Tongue