Happy 500th Birthday Protestanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2017, 09:01 AM
RE: Happy 500th Birthday Protestanism
In a certain sense wasn't most of the "protestant reformation" people who were pissed because the Catholic Church wasn't strict enough?
Yikes.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
30-10-2017, 09:22 AM
(28-10-2017 02:54 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 02:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  “Five hundred years ago, an unknown monk named Martin Luther marched up to the church in Wittenberg, a small town in what is now Germany, and nailed a list of criticisms of the Catholic church to its door.

Supposedly marched up. That's not a historical fact. His list is, but not the public display.

Anyway, I liked the day we celebrated two years ago better. The first time in recorded history when a man said "kiss my ass". The galant knight Götz von Berlichingen issued the invitation to an imperial official, when burning down his property. Made famous and immortal by the poet Goethe.

I happened to watch a documentary just the other day on Martin Luther. According to the documentary, some printers in the area were looking for something to make runs on their printer so they could test it out and Martin Luther's Thesis made the prefect test project for their printer. There was a bulletin board type thing near the church that the ninety-five compaints was probably posted on but it would have been there with many other notices and it probably didn't get the attention at that time. According to the scholar on the documentary it was a printer warming up his printing press that did the trick. He printed many copies to see how the letters and format was working. The copies sorta went viral after that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
31-10-2017, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2017 01:17 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Alas, despite posting a "Nailed It" Luther Meme and gushing thankfully at Luther for liberating people from the clutches of the evil Catholic Church, Evangelical Youth Minister has not yet risen to my bait of:

Quote:Happy 500th Anniversary of Reformation Day, I suppose. On this day in 1517, Luther supposedly nailed the 95 Theses to the door of the cathedral in Wittenburg. He set into motion his changing of Sacred Scripture (a direct contradiction of "Sola Scriptura") and shattered a comparatively unified Christendom into 40,000+ denominations and counting. His actions began countless religious wars, the ones immediately following his refusal to go to Rome to be questioned about the 95 Theses would lead to untold numbers of European dead in the resulting wars. Friend would burn friend at the stake for not holding the proper views on Reform and the German Princes would find a marriage between state and religion that the Catholic monarchs had only dreamed of, with their power firmly over that of Church. In 1525 when the peasants rebelled, Luther came to the aid of his Princely friends, writing “Against the Murderous, Thieving Hordes of Peasants,” and advocating their slaughter; this lead to the deaths of 130,000 people as a direct result. Luther's legacy extends throughout the centuries, nurturing anti-Semitism with his writings such as "On Jews and Their Lies". So I guess, Brother Luther, I am supposed to thank you for the oceans of blood you have splashing against your hands. Though I guess I do have to admit, you did change the face of history forever!

Indeed, your strain of anti-intellectualism still lingers in our society to this day, for the spirit of your words are not forgotten, when you proclaimed, “Reason is the Devil’s greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil’s appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom … Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism… She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets.”

Must admit I'm tempted to just post this quote of "On the Jews and their Lies" to his gushing praise:
Quote:First to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them. This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians, and do not condone or knowingly tolerate such public lying, cursing, and blaspheming of his Son and of his Christians. For whatever we tolerated in the past unknowingly ­ and I myself was unaware of it ­ will be pardoned by God. But if we, now that we are informed, were to protect and shield such a house for the Jews, existing right before our very nose, in which they lie about, blaspheme, curse, vilify, and defame Christ and us (as was heard above), it would be the same as if we were doing all this and even worse ourselves, as we very well know.

Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed. For they pursue in them the same aims as in their synagogues. Instead they might be lodged under a roof or in a barn, like the gypsies. This will bring home to them that they are not masters in our country, as they boast, but that they are living in exile and in captivity, as they incessantly wail and lament about us before God.

Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them. (remainder omitted)

Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb. For they have justly forfeited the right to such an office by holding the poor Jews captive with the saying of Moses (Deuteronomy 17 [:10 ff.]) in which he commands them to obey their teachers on penalty of death, although Moses clearly adds: "what they teach you in accord with the law of the Lord." Those villains ignore that. They wantonly employ the poor people's obedience contrary to the law of the Lord and infuse them with this poison, cursing, and blasphemy. In the same way the pope also held us captive with the declaration in Matthew 16 {:18], "You are Peter," etc, inducing us to believe all the lies and deceptions that issued from his devilish mind. He did not teach in accord with the word of God, and therefore he forfeited the right to teach.

Fifth, I advise that safe­conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. For they have no business in the countryside, since they are not lords, officials, tradesmen, or the like. Let they stay at home. (...remainder omitted).

Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them and put aside for safekeeping. The reason for such a measure is that, as said above, they have no other means of earning a livelihood than usury, and by it they have stolen and robbed from us all they possess. Such money should now be used in no other way than the following: Whenever a Jew is sincerely converted, he should be handed one hundred, two hundred, or three hundred florins, as personal circumstances may suggest. With this he could set himself up in some occupation for the support of his poor wife and children, and the maintenance of the old or feeble. For such evil gains are cursed if they are not put to use with God's blessing in a good and worthy cause.

Seventh, I commend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow, as was imposed on the children of Adam (Gen 3[:19]}. For it is not fitting that they should let us accursed Goyim toil in the sweat of our faces while they, the holy people, idle away their time behind the stove, feasting and farting, and on top of all, boasting blasphemously of their lordship over the Christians by means of our sweat. No, one should toss out these lazy rogues by the seat of their pants.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
31-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Quote:cathedral in Wittenburg

*cough*church*cough* of Wittenberg Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
31-10-2017, 01:30 PM
(31-10-2017 01:19 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:cathedral in Wittenburg

*cough*church*cough* of Wittenberg Big Grin

Mea culpa. Smile

31-10-2017, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2017 01:37 PM by Deesse23.)
(31-10-2017 01:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(31-10-2017 01:19 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  *cough*church*cough* of Wittenberg Big Grin

Mea culpa. Smile

Ego te absolvo Big Grin

To be hoonest, not too long ago only i found out about the definition of a "cathedral". I always thought it had something to do with the size n stuff. Then i figured out just a few years ago that a cathedral is the church of where a bishop is seated.

Isnt it quite ironic that the tallest church isnt catholic nor a cathedral Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
31-10-2017, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2017 06:44 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(31-10-2017 01:33 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(31-10-2017 01:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Mea culpa. Smile

Ego te absolvo Big Grin

To be hoonest, not too long ago only i found out about the definition of a "cathedral". I always thought it had something to do with the size n stuff. Then i figured out just a few years ago that a cathedral is the church of where a bishop is seated.

Isnt it quite ironic that the tallest church isnt catholic nor a cathedral Tongue

It kind of is... Tongue But I think the same is true in the town I live in now. Though my town isn't famous for its church and what happened there. Laugh out load

Evangelical replied to my comment on his post gushing about Luther. Smarmy, talking about how Luther's 'anti-Semitism late in life is regrettable', and not so subtly implying I'm going to Hell for being a Catholic. His friends are all chiming in about how I don't know the context of Luther's anti-semitism with my attempt at a social media "gotcha".

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
31-10-2017, 09:50 PM
(30-10-2017 09:01 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  In a certain sense wasn't most of the "protestant reformation" people who were pissed because the Catholic Church wasn't strict enough?
Yikes.

In a way. The Catholic church was (and still is) corrupt. Salvation was sold by purchasing indulgences which were essentially ways to bribe the church to excuse your sins. This was a big part of his criticism, but also the general greed and excess of the pope and the church, and he challenged the church's role in deciding what god's punishment would be for acts here on earth. It was a challenge to the moral foundation and justification for authority of the catholic church and its pope, and Luther essentially pointed out that this church of Christ was not very Christ-like.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
01-11-2017, 03:51 PM
(30-10-2017 08:54 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I'm glad I'm not Lutheran anymore. My old church made a bigger deal out of Reformation Sunday than Easter. The service was 50% longer, and a guarantee that there'd be a dramatic singing of A Mighty Fortress.
I walk past a Lutheran church on my morning walk most days and I note that they are really putting on quite the shindig the past couple of weeks, with visiting lecturers, concerts, etc. The titles are along the lines of "Dr. Odious T. Fringbat, FF, FFF and F, discusses the implications of Reformation theology on the rights of women". I have been quite bemused by it, wondering how they wring that sort of thing out of Luther's small-minded and devisive ideology. What pretension!
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
01-11-2017, 04:07 PM
(31-10-2017 01:33 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(31-10-2017 01:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Mea culpa. Smile

Ego te absolvo Big Grin

That'll be fifty bucks, please.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post