Happy Birthday KC!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 08:59 PM
RE: Happy Birthday KC!
(15-05-2013 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 05:01 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Commission is for the licence to print and share this watermarked signature version as the webshare version, I imagine, but not to retain copyright, I haven't heard of too many photographers giving that when it's not a commercial shoot.

Well being a professional photographer and all, you would certainly know better than me, but how is it not a "commercial" shoot if I'm paying you to take photos of me? Does that copyright watermark appear on the printed hardcopy? Or are you saying all I paid for was the printed hardcopy and the photographer retains the rights to the originals? Does that mean the photographer is free to distribute electronic photos of me without my knowledge or consent for whatever purpose they want? And further, since I didn't commission it, did I violate copyright law by copying it to my photobucket page to redistribute it?

A commercial shoot is for the intention of making profit off of the resulted photo, most people think it's for 'advertising', but it can also be for things like entering a photo contest, being background art to a CD pamphlet, selling off on T-shirt prints or many other things.

A personal shoot (the kind people get for portrait sessions, wedding, etc) is for the purpose of enjoyment from the photo (prints for the wall, for family members, for albums at home, etc).

International copyright is based on the photographer saying so (so the watermark version that's agreed upon). Canadian photography copyright just changed so that the photographer possess' the copyright in the first place. I'm not sure what USA national laws are.

The client is usually given two copies of each photo (KC can correct if his wife's experience was different with her photographer, but this is the norm). One copy is for printing a hardcopy without the watermark (so the one that goes on the bedroom wall is just the photo). The 'signature' version is for webshare and MUST be for webshare (my contracts state this). It prevents theft and is also a way of authenticating the art of the photographer. Some photographers charge for each print and never hand over the jpeg file and some sell the licence to print from jpegs (transferred via CD, memory stick, directly uploaded or whatever their method is).

In conjunction with the copyright and licensing agreements, there should be a model release also signed. This is the part that, yes, the photog can use any photo of you they've taken however they see fit. Blogs, websites, billboards. Some clients will say they do not wish for this to be on the web but it's allowed on private portfolios or displays. If pics of you distributed or represented electronically disturb you, you can put that into the model release. Any photo taken of you in a public space is legal and can be put online unless published, then special permission is needed (model release), unless you are in a large group photo (in a public space).

You did not violate copyright laws by taking a photo from the net and passing it along unless you sold it or gained profit in some way (winning a free TV or some other monetary gain). It is courteous to ask permission or credit a source.

It should be noted also that it is illegal to deface copyrighted photos, such as cropping or photoshopping or other. This is such a grey area, but people can be taken to court over it. Photogs are always complaining about clients doing this (esp on FB) because it gives a 'wrong impression' of their work, they send out warnings. I usually let it slide because it doesn't really bother me. People can just look at my portfolio if they really want to know the truth, otherwise F 'em. Big Grin

I've heard HORROR stories of breached copyrighted photos from photographers being screwed and clients not knowing how to handle copyright and their image is plastered all over something they don't agree with but mistakingly agreed to (head spinning yet? lol. Maybe best to leave it in the hands of someone who has experience).

Breakdown of photog fees:

$X amount Photography session: Strictly the 'time' of the photographer, also known as 'sitting fee'.

One or a combo of the following (every photographer or situations is different):

$X amount Prints: Prints of the photographers picks of photos fro the session, different sizes and mediums (canvas, metal sheet, foam mount, etc)
$X amount Licence to 'print only' files: comes in the form of jpegs to keep and print wherever and however you like.

Of those two, usually the webshare (signed) version of the photos is included for free.

$X amount Copyright Licence. Client can use photos in anyway they see fit, photographer no longer retains any rights to the future of the image.

With a model release, in commercial shoots that's where the model gets paid (and not by the photographer, lol). In portrait shoots, model release is just part of the deal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
16-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Happy birthday to your little daughter! She's such a cutie! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
16-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Hope you and your daughter have great birthdays KC Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
16-05-2013, 03:28 PM
(16-05-2013 03:07 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Happy birthday to your little daughter! She's such a cutie! Big Grin

Thanks Big Grin

My little chunk is growing up.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
16-05-2013, 04:16 PM
(15-05-2013 08:59 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  A commercial shoot ...

Thanks! Thumbsup

(15-05-2013 08:59 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It should be noted also that it is illegal to deface copyrighted photos, such as cropping or photoshopping or other.

shit ... (frantically un-photoshopping QC's head from Girly's fundoshi pic and vice versa).
[Image: typing.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-05-2013, 05:22 PM
(16-05-2013 04:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 08:59 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  A commercial shoot ...

Thanks! Thumbsup

(15-05-2013 08:59 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It should be noted also that it is illegal to deface copyrighted photos, such as cropping or photoshopping or other.

shit ... (frantically un-photoshopping QC's head from Girly's fundoshi pic and vice versa).
[Image: typing.gif]

Sad I'd like to see that. Vosur does this shit all the time, mainly to Chas. Send him the job. Thumbsup
16-05-2013, 06:37 PM
(15-05-2013 04:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So while doing my damndest not to lust after my neighbor's wife, I noticed the © Courtney Dellaflora.

If you commissioned the photograph, how can the photographer maintain copyright? Huh

[Image: qc.jpg]

Happy Birthday Christian!

Copyright?? Where??

Oh my... I hadn't seen those letters Rolleyes

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
16-05-2013, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2013 08:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-05-2013 05:22 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 04:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Thanks! Thumbsup

Sad I'd like to see that. Vosur does this shit all the time, mainly to Chas. Send him the job. Thumbsup

hehehehehehehe ... fuck 'da copyright popo. Happy Birthday Christian, I got you a gift you can't return. Evil_monster
[Image: fundoshiqc2.png][Image: qcbob.png]

So I got another question for LJ on photography copyrights? If the photoshopping is obviously satirical, do the copyright laws still apply?

P.S. Paint.NET is free and much easier to use than Gimp or Photoshop. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-05-2013, 08:34 AM
(16-05-2013 07:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 05:22 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sad I'd like to see that. Vosur does this shit all the time, mainly to Chas. Send him the job. Thumbsup

hehehehehehehe ... fuck 'da copyright popo. Happy Birthday Christian, I got you a gift you can't return. Evil_monster

So I got another question for LJ on photography copyrights? If the photoshopping is obviously satirical, do the copyright laws still apply?

P.S. Paint.NET is free and much easier to use than Gimp or Photoshop. Big Grin

Satire falls under the 'fair use' section, so it's OK.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2013, 08:49 AM
(16-05-2013 07:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  hehehehehehehe ... fuck 'da copyright popo. Happy Birthday Christian, I got you a gift you can't return. Evil_monster

Confused dunno if I'm gonna ever see QC *or* Girly the same way...