Happy Birthday Thomas Jefferson!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Happy Birthday Thomas Jefferson!
Thomas Jefferson was born this day back in 1743. He is quotable in many good ways, and here is but one.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. . . . Do not be frightened from this inquiry by any fear of its consequences. If it ends in a belief that there is no God, you will find inducements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise, and the love of others which it will procure you."
~ Thomas Jefferson's letter to nephew Peter Carr, written from Paris, Aug. 10, 1787
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like captainphilbo's post
13-04-2017, 07:42 AM
RE: Happy Birthday Thomas Jefferson!
Happy Birthday T-Man!

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
13-04-2017, 06:17 PM
RE: Happy Birthday Thomas Jefferson!
(13-04-2017 06:58 AM)captainphilbo Wrote:  Thomas Jefferson was born this day back in 1743. He is quotable in many good ways, and here is but one.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. . . . Do not be frightened from this inquiry by any fear of its consequences. If it ends in a belief that there is no God, you will find inducements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise, and the love of others which it will procure you."
~ Thomas Jefferson's letter to nephew Peter Carr, written from Paris, Aug. 10, 1787

> Back in the 1980's I sent one of my nephews a copy of that letter and told him to read it with an open mind. He was in high school at the time. several years later, he came out as an atheist and told me that Jefferson's letter had been instrumental in helping him to throw off the shackles of Catholic indoctrination. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post