Happy Carl Sagan Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Happy Carl Sagan Day
Today would have been Carl Sagan's 77th birthday. Heart

"Jag vill ha vetskap. Inte tro, inte antaganden, utan vetskap." - Antonius Block
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kvanderwyk's post
10-11-2011, 09:31 AM
RE: Happy Carl Sagan Day
Is this a good place to ask a question about scientists?

We have these two stereotypes: the cold, detached, unfeeling scientist and the mad scientist.
Sagan was obviously neither. Most scientists i've met or read about were neither. They may have been dedicated, single-minded even to the point of obsession, but always sane. Not always good at interpersonal relations, but certainly connected to, entangled with, other people.

So, where do you suppose these misconceptions come from?
And why are they so contradictory?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
10-11-2011, 05:07 PM
He is dearly missed.
[+] 2 users Like Adaptive's post
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Hot and cold. Hot is passionate and mad, cold is mathematical and logical. Scientist is firstly human; as there's a boatload of rigor, logic, and mathematics in science, you might think cold - and then listen to Dawkins... Tongue

I don't know any in reality; ran into a few in virtuality - give you the unanimous: love. For the most part, they love it; they ignore the commons outside of their occupation, but be a common, ask the right question to tickle their love - and blammo! Big Grin

Get word up. Sagan Day... get yer petitioner out. Cool

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2011, 04:13 AM
(10-11-2011 09:31 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Is this a good place to ask a question about scientists?

We have these two stereotypes: the cold, detached, unfeeling scientist and the mad scientist.
Sagan was obviously neither. Most scientists i've met or read about were neither. They may have been dedicated, single-minded even to the point of obsession, but always sane. Not always good at interpersonal relations, but certainly connected to, entangled with, other people.

So, where do you suppose these misconceptions come from?
And why are they so contradictory?

I think the sicentists considered "mad" go against the grain of contempory thinking.

They get shunned by the rest of society because there ideas dont normally match what is banded about in the scientific community.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
11-11-2011, 10:16 AM
No, i don't mean shunning real people with odd ideas - we always do that!
I mean the stereotypes of literature and comics, and especially of film.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
11-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Scientists are seen as pushing limits of what Man can do and know, therefore they are outrageous and crazed with obsession according to the comfortable middle ground people.

The earlier big science fiction stories embodied that stereotype with Victor Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and the general education of people have used those examples with the well known scientists of history. Einstein is often hyped up to have been a goofylooking man with wild ideas to children in school so much that, that image is what is synonymous with his name over anything else.

Carl Sagan is great and I feel quite ashamed it has only been in the last few months I found out who he was.
11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. Cool
11-11-2011, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 09:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-11-2011 07:38 PM)Saimmaq Wrote:  Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan

Far more galaxies than people. ... 'nuff said.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.