Happy Darwin Day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Happy Darwin Day!
So I figured this was the best place to put this... just a quick Happy Darwin Day to all of you. Charles Darwin was born on February 12, 1809.

http://www.darwinday.org/

The sad thing for me personally is that I am almost 30 years old, a high school and community college graduate, and I did not hear a serious and accurate interpretation of Darwin's Theory (along with any of the evidence and adjustments made to it in the past 100+ years) until I finally attempted to find out on my own, here in the last two years. Having gone to a Christian school during the years in which I took Life Science and Biology, we glossed right over all that (in fact, did not even mention Darwin or the Theory of Evolution directly). I went to public school during the years I took Chemistry and Physics, and it was never mentioned. My college courses did not require any Biology (Associates Degree in Visual Communications).

I hate our education system here in the south.

Tonight I shall raise a glass and try and read something educational. Smile

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
RE: Happy Darwin Day!
Good idea! I will celebrate Darwin by using my opposable thumbs to open a beer-bottle today. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Happy Darwin Day! My celebration tonight will include some vodka and a paper on Aristotle Smile

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
12-02-2011, 09:26 PM
A glass of wine for me and my ladyfriend.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
14-02-2011, 05:11 AM
I missed it. I'll just dedicate Pancake Day to him instead.

[Image: websig.png]
25-02-2011, 11:26 PM

there was a really good 4(?) part special on Darwin on CBC (maybe the Nature Of Things... it had David Suzuki narrating anyways) I found it very educational. And that it was not just Darwin, but his colleagues who helped and supported him along the way.
Quote this message in a reply