Happy Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
04-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Happy Easter
I know I'm probably talking a lot about Serbia, but since my country is mostly orthodox christian, on Easter we use a phrase to greet our friends: "Hristos vaskre!"-which means "Christ has been reborn" (or reincarnated, something like that), and the other person is supposed to respond by saying "Vaistinu, Hristos vaskrse!"-which means "True, Christ has been reborn!"
So we atheists like to respond: "Da Hristos VAS KRESE, vec hiljadama godina!", translated "Yes Christ has fucked you for thousands of years!"

So I was just wandering how do you respond when people wish you Happy Easter...I really don't know how to react so I just end up laughing like an idiot...Big Grin Then I like say: "Happy Zombie day to you too!" Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2010, 10:32 AM
RE: Happy (crappy) Easter
Hello neighbour! Well here in Romania we have exactly the same formula, we'd say 'Hristos a inviat!' and the answer would be 'Adevarat a inviat!'. I understand your difficulty, it is quite a problem for me too. I'm still a closeted atheist (not that I'm ashamed of it, but I hate giving explanations that no one would understand) so I just stick with the tradition and answer back as everyone does. I've given up religion, but I still enjoy Christmas and Easter traditions, and, whether I like it or not, some religious elements are just part of it. It's not that anyone really cares or thinks about it, of that I can assure you, it's just a formality, just like saying 'hello'. Yeah I know, maybe it is hypocritical, but I'm ok with it, it's just words and it doesn't change what I think and feel about Christianity.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I like to use, "Happy zombie Jesus day!"

But in America, that is considered an "Attack on Christianity".

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
04-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I just say "Happy Easter". No real point in starting a fight over it, and it's not like they meant to be offensive or anything. It's just a once-annual variation on "good morning".

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
04-04-2010, 01:31 PM
(04-04-2010 12:59 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I just say "Happy Easter". No real point in starting a fight over it, and it's not like they meant to be offensive or anything. It's just a once-annual variation on "good morning".

hm, i do the same. I think today it´s just tradition and most people don´t celabrate the rise of the dead from jesus but paint eggs and spend time with their familys, no point of starting an argue
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM

Yeah I get what you all mean...it's not like I hate the tradition or anything, sometimes it's quite fun actually. (But how came orthodox Christians don't celebrate Christmas with
Christmas-trees?-I like Christmas-trees!) Anyway I wouldn't say something offensive to a person who couldn't handle it as a joke. It's just that I feel kinda dirty saying those phrases even if it doesn't change the fact that I'm an atheist. "Happy Easter" is the only thing I could make myself say out-loud. Still I think you're right...I'll try to chill out, forget what it all really means, enjoy the tradition... and be nicer. It would be better for everyone.
PS ashley.hunt60, sometimes I'm really jealous of Americans. You have an awesome legal system. My county's politics stink! It wasn't like that before, but right now we're just pathetic...and yet everyone here is too stubborn to admit it - as expected from Serbs.
There...I even changed the thread title...but it didn't change in your replies...
04-04-2010, 06:40 PM

RE: Happy Easter
I find that a polite "Thanks" acknowledges the spirit of the greeting without responding to the religious implications. For those who you know are zealous, "So was Frankenstein's monster!" can be a sobering retort. One might also engage in dialog about the pre-xtian origins of the spring celebration.

Also, from Wikipedia:
"...Ostara, Eástre seems therefore to have been the divinity of the radiant dawn, of up-springing light, a spectacle that brings joy and blessing, whose meaning could be easily adapted by the resurrection-day of the Christian's God..."

ps: A sampling of my collection of antique Easter postcards circa 1910 can be viewed here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12...37bfeed00b (caution: one of them has an overtly xtian symbol of wrongful execution.)
05-04-2010, 01:01 AM
(04-04-2010 06:40 PM)jeroboambramblejam Wrote:  ps: A sampling of my collection of antique Easter postcards circa 1910 can be viewed here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12...37bfeed00b (caution: one of them has an overtly xtian symbol of wrongful execution.)

Those are lovely! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum Smile

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Happy to share; album has been stored 'til next EasterHuh
24-04-2010, 05:07 PM

I usually reply with, "Happy bunny day to you too." I like to take the proactive approach, so, I've adopted Easter and ripped out the parts I don't like. You know what Easter's really about? Eggs. Ya, that's right. Awesome. Colored. Eggs. Well...that and cute baby rabbits, but you get the idea I think.