Happy Feet. HEAR ME OUT, K?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Happy Feet. HEAR ME OUT, K?
So, watched Happy Feet for the first time when I was pretty young, and walked out of the theater kind of feeling like I missed something. Now, I gave it another go, and noticed some... interesting underlying tones. Holy crap, it's actually a pretty morally grey film, by Disney standards.

First off, the movie is vaguely against religion/superstition. First we see a group of emperor penguins, who all worship 'the Grrreat Guinnnn!' who allegedly provides them with fish. The leader of this group is the film's closest thing to an antagonist, and it's implied he may be making it up. In the scene where they are keeping their eggs warm, a northern lights version of the Great Guin appears over their heads as they pray to him. Over one penguin's head appears the image of his wife. This is obviously just in his head, subtly implying that the Great Guin may only be in the others heads.

Later, when the protagonist, Mumble, is banished for being different (more on that later), he encounters another culture of latino penguins. Historically, Spain and Mexico have been largely catholic, and this is displayed by Lovelace, a 'chosen one of the mystic beings) who wears a strange outfit. Sound familiar? He's the pope. Of course, later it turns out he made it up all along.

That covers the religious part, but we have another part to assess. Tolerance towards atheist/lgbt people. Mumble is born different from the other penguins in that he cannot sing. Instead, he dances, which results in him being viewed as a heretic, and unnatural. Sound familiar? HE'S A MUTANT! Nah, but seriously, this is some serious anti-intolerance stuff we've gotten into. By the end of the movie, they all decide to live in harmony, dancing or singing or both.

LGBT themes are even lampshaded in the sequel, where we have two (male) shrimp, or krill, or whatever they're supposed to be, discussing adoption. Shrimp are also described as abominations in the bible. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

What do you think? Anything I missed?

What the heck is a signature? -RecursiveRecursion
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 09:55 PM
RE: Happy Feet. HEAR ME OUT, K?
Well, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say the movie is about tolerance of atheists and LGBT people. I definitely think it's about tolerance. This is a common thing in kids movies and books. An anti bully lesson to children to be tolerent of those who are different than them.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Re: Happy Feet. HEAR ME OUT, K?
It's simply intolerance and being who you want to be. Same way Frozen develops plot wise.

And that movie has some outlandish internet hissy fitters saying that movie us encouraging homosexuality because of that.

You can read those things into the films but it's mainly a baseline of intolerance. The same goes for Xmen, but I do like to joke about the homosexual undertones in that series.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson