Happy Flightless Bird Genocide Everybody!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2013, 11:21 PM
RE: Happy Flightless Bird Genocide Everybody!
TURKEY FLESH IN MY FACE

GRAVY IS SO NEAT

HEHEHE
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 12:37 AM
(28-11-2013 09:56 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Why grow living turkeys at all? We can just culture turkey meat.

This is the way to go, once we get technology to the point where we can simply cultivate protein/meat without growing the whole animal. All of the meat, none of the suffering; win-win.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
29-11-2013, 01:10 AM
I'm laughing at this.

[Image: errmehgawd_zpse2a21281.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
29-11-2013, 01:11 AM
(29-11-2013 12:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 09:56 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Why grow living turkeys at all? We can just culture turkey meat.

This is the way to go, once we get technology to the point where we can simply cultivate protein/meat without growing the whole animal. All of the meat, none of the suffering; win-win.

Being a robot doesn't creep me out, but this for some reason creeps me out.
29-11-2013, 01:43 AM
(29-11-2013 01:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 12:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  This is the way to go, once we get technology to the point where we can simply cultivate protein/meat without growing the whole animal. All of the meat, none of the suffering; win-win.

Being a robot doesn't creep me out, but this for some reason creeps me out.

What? So I want a Star Treck replicator already.... Weeping

29-11-2013, 01:50 AM
(29-11-2013 01:43 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 01:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Being a robot doesn't creep me out, but this for some reason creeps me out.

What? So I want a Star Treck replicator already.... Weeping

But Replicators wouldn't cultivate the meat; they'd take energy and create the meat; no growth.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-11-2013, 04:23 AM
(29-11-2013 01:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Being a robot doesn't creep me out, but this for some reason creeps me out.

(29-11-2013 01:50 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  But Replicators wouldn't cultivate the meat; they'd take energy and create the meat; no growth.

Fair enough, but I fail to see how growing meat in a lab is any creepier than the (quite frankly) inhumane things we do to animals to support our meat eating habits. Now wait, I'm not one of those PETA fucktards who firebombs research labs (I prefer the ASPCA personally). But if given the option to have the meat without the animal suffering, I'd take it.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving......... oops......well all Americans.

Smile

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
29-11-2013, 07:48 AM
(29-11-2013 04:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

(29-11-2013 01:50 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  But Replicators wouldn't cultivate the meat; they'd take energy and create the meat; no growth.

Fair enough, but I fail to see how growing meat in a lab is any creepier than the (quite frankly) inhumane things we do to animals to support our meat eating habits. Now wait, I'm not one of those PETA fucktards who firebombs research labs (I prefer the ASPCA personally). But if given the option to have the meat without the animal suffering, I'd take it.

We'd still need to control to food-animals populations to prevent them from becoming pests to surrounding ecology.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-11-2013, 07:53 AM
(28-11-2013 02:29 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 09:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  I am not aware of having said anything of the sort. I merely presented facts, not opinions.

If you want my opinion - what we have done to human engineered turkeys is disgusting and inhumane. But we don't eat the bones, so we are not concerned if they can maintain the structure that holds up the animal. The less bone, the better.

I'd like to see what would happen if the human skeleton collapsed out from under us when we try to walk.

The real turkeys, the ones that evolved without human intervention, are just fine and they can fly just fine. And they are well adapted and smart, and they are not going extinct.

Dodgy

Let's just get rid of the man-made turkeys and start again! We clearly did not do a good enough job the first time around, and now that we have better understanding of genetics; we should try again to build fatter, but better lived food-turkeys.
No?

Just outcrossing would improve things immensely.

It's a profit thing - the breast has to be as big as can be. (where did I hear that before? Tongue) The bones should be lightweight and thin. That makes for the most profit. People think the bird is "plump".

Trouble is, such an animal is only temporarily viable. As soon as the giant breast fills in, the skeleton collapses.

If breeders would take a small financial hit and outcross periodically, a better structured bird would result. And I bet there would be a niche market for it right away. In time, the improved flavor would draw more and more buyers. If you like turkey gravy, you would totally appreciate having wild birds crossed in. Flavors are getting more and more bland.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post