Happy March 1st!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Happy March 1st!
While I'm not a huge fan of traditions (actually, I believe that no tradition should be accepted just because "it's tradition" and that all of them should be reexamined and a lot - discarded), there are some which I kinda like. And this is one of them - celebrating the first day of March, as a symbol of the approaching spring.

So, on March 1st, folk in my minuscule and unimportant part of the world give each other martenitsi, small thingamajigs, made of red and white threads and meant to wish health and good luck to those we gave them to. We never buy them for ourselves, but only for friends and family and wear them until we see the first stork, swallow (but swallows being much tinier, storks are usually our best bet Tongue ), or the first blooming tree - all signs that spring is finally here.

So, this little and not quite necessary lecture concluded - happy first of march, guys! (Won't be giving them individually, 'cause I'm not sure those who didn't make the list would be able to live with the disappointment Tongue )

[Image: martenitza.jpg] [Image: martenica.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
28-02-2013, 04:51 PM
RE: Happy March 1st!
Pagan Big Grin

Happy march day Vera.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
28-02-2013, 04:55 PM
(28-02-2013 04:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  Pagan Big Grin

Happy march day Vera.
I've been called worse (though usually not to my face), so thanks...

Lots of good luck and new beginnings to you Smile

28-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok...that kinda sounds fun. Happy March 1st Vera!

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-02-2013, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 05:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-02-2013 03:45 PM)Vera Wrote:  While I'm not a huge fan of traditions (actually, I believe that no tradition should be accepted just because "it's tradition" and that all of them should be reexamined and a lot - discarded), there are some which I kinda like. And this is one of them - celebrating the first day of March, as a symbol of the approaching spring.

So, on March 1st, folk in my minuscule and unimportant part of the world give each other martenitsi, small thingamajigs, made of red and white threads and meant to wish health and good luck to those we gave them to. We never buy them for ourselves, but only for friends and family and wear them until we see the first stork, swallow (but swallows being much tinier, storks are usually our best bet Tongue ), or the first blooming tree - all signs that spring is finally here.

So, this little and not quite necessary lecture concluded - happy first of march, guys! (Won't be giving them individually, 'cause I'm not sure those who didn't make the list would be able to live with the disappointment Tongue )

[Image: martenitza.jpg] [Image: martenica.gif]

I'm gonna be getting a fucking furlough notice 'cause my Government is currently completely fucking dysfunctional and impotent and inept and fucking feckless and ain't none of it my fault and it's completely fucking outta my control. Weeping ... I like your gifts and sentiment better, ManlyGirl's become quite the master of crochet. I'm gonna ask her to make me something.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-02-2013, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 06:02 PM by Vera.)
(28-02-2013 05:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm gonna be getting a fucking furlough notice 'cause my Government is currently completely fucking dysfunctional and impotent and inept and fucking feckless and ain't none of it my fault and it's completely fucking outta my control. Weeping ... I like your gifts and sentiment better, ManlyGirl's become quite the master of crochet. I'm gonna ask her to make me something.
Sorry to hear about that, Girly (even though I did have to look furlough up... my English ain't as good as I thought it was)... It would appear that you, too, can use a bit of good luck, so here's one just for you:

[Image: 19476798.jpg]

Hug

Also, who knew I was capable of sentiment... I guess it just takes a glass or two of wine...

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-02-2013, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 08:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-02-2013 05:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-02-2013 05:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm gonna be getting a fucking furlough notice 'cause my Government is currently completely fucking dysfunctional and impotent and inept and fucking feckless and ain't none of it my fault and it's completely fucking outta my control. Weeping ... I like your gifts and sentiment better, ManlyGirl's become quite the master of crochet. I'm gonna ask her to make me something.
Sorry to hear about that, Girly (even though I did have to look furlough up... my English ain't as good as I thought it was)... It would appear that you, too, can use a bit of good luck, so here's one just for you:

Hug

Also, who knew I was capable of sentiment... I guess it just takes a glass or two of wine...

Thanks, Vera. Hug ManlyGirly's agreed to create this for me and provide me with the requisite pins and incantations. Big Grin

[Image: voodoo.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-02-2013, 08:19 PM
(28-02-2013 08:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-02-2013 05:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  Sorry to hear about that, Girly (even though I did have to look furlough up... my English ain't as good as I thought it was)... It would appear that you, too, can use a bit of good luck, so here's one just for you:

Hug

Thanks, Vera. Hug ManlyGirly's agreed to create this for me and provide me with the requisite pins. Big Grin

[Image: voodoo.jpg]
Laughat

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
28-02-2013, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 02:17 AM by Bucky Ball.)
I need one of the little dolls to stick pins in on the Ides of March.
I'll name it Brutus, and chant "E tu, Brute", as I dance around the May pole. Oh wait.
We do "I saw my first Robin", but now there are always a few that hang around all year, so it's not really a big deal.
Mostly all horses foal now that were bred last Spring, and it's a fun time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2013, 08:48 PM
(28-02-2013 08:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I need one of the little dolls to stick pins in on the Ides of March.
I'll name it Brutus, and chant "E tu, Brute", as I dance around the May pole. Oh wait.

hehehehehe ... "Et tu, ManlyGirl." Ides of March is Girly's 27th wedding anniversary. ... hehehehe. ... Evil_monster It's worked well for us. Big Grin ... Your mileage may vary.