Happy March 1st!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 05:20 AM
RE: Happy March 1st!
(03-03-2013 05:16 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 05:08 AM)k37713 Wrote:  Carnations are kinda meh flowers here too.. although I have no historical facts about them.. I've just always thought it was because they seem to be the cheapest.. ( never thought to think of why till this moment ) but the cut variety my mother used to buy me all the time looked so completely different that I was surprised they were in the same family (cousins i think..-joke) do you guys also call this a carnation?
[Image: 45018312.jpg]

Yeah, those are the ones. I guess they might be cheaper to grow or something, but they are beautiful, esp. some colours. I love the two-coloured ones (but I'm very easy to please when it comes to flowers Tongue )

[Image: carnations-purple-white.jpg]
yeah.. although you can pick them up in bundles at the grocery store here.. if someones gives them to me.. its almost more touching than a beautiful arrangement.. funny how you attach sentiment to things

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 05:27 AM
(03-03-2013 05:20 AM)k37713 Wrote:  yeah.. although you can pick them up in bundles at the grocery store here.. if someones gives them to me.. its almost more touching than a beautiful arrangement.. funny how you attach sentiment to things
Well, we don't have too many florists' chains here and (we have a couple of boutiques but they don't have a lot of choice), but you can get flowers at all open-air markets, so to me at least, it's not about the cost (hell, sometimes a more elaborate arrangement is less tasteful than a simple bunch of flowers.) or the arrangement. I do like how in the States they often sell them with a vase, that matches the colour of the flowers. That's cute.

Another useless factoid - we have this superstition here that you are not supposed to give an even number of flowers as a present - those are only for cemeteries. Anytime I buy an even number of flowers, vendors look at me funny and ask if I'm sure... Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
03-03-2013, 05:40 AM
(03-03-2013 05:27 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 05:20 AM)k37713 Wrote:  yeah.. although you can pick them up in bundles at the grocery store here.. if someones gives them to me.. its almost more touching than a beautiful arrangement.. funny how you attach sentiment to things
Well, we don't have too many florists' chains here and (we have a couple of boutiques but they don't have a lot of choice), but you can get flowers at all open-air markets, so to me at least, it's not about the cost (hell, sometimes a more elaborate arrangement is less tasteful than a simple bunch of flowers.) or the arrangement. I do like how in the States they often sell them with a vase, that matches the colour of the flowers. That's cute.

Another useless factoid - we have this superstition here that you are not supposed to give an even number of flowers as a present - those are only for cemeteries. Anytime I buy an even number of flowers, vendors look at me funny and ask if I'm sure... Smile
That is quizzical to me since the norm here is a dozen or variables of that... at least when getting one type of flower.. interesting

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
03-03-2013, 05:44 AM
(03-03-2013 05:40 AM)k37713 Wrote:  That is quizzical to me since the norm here is a dozen or variables of that... at least when getting one type of flower.. interesting
What can I say, we're weird people Tongue

And I'm even weirder as I refuse to play by the rules of whatever place I'm at Angel

03-03-2013, 06:33 AM
(03-03-2013 02:52 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-03-2013 09:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  You guys are soooooo Hemispherist
Well, sue me. I love my hemisphere and having four seasons. Life can be way too boring as it is, imagine having only hot and less hot. I love seasons and change and variety, even if deep down nothing really changes (hey, safer that way, anyway). I love waiting for the green to come back, the trees to start blooming, the nightingales to return... (for a full list, see post 69; also, I've really spread myself in that thread... should really learn to keep my mouth shut [Image: LaieA_052.gif])

[Image: lilacs+ludwig+spaeth.jpg]

And I love lilacs, even though I still have quite some time to wait for those.
Lilacs smell so good.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
03-03-2013, 06:45 AM
(03-03-2013 05:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 05:40 AM)k37713 Wrote:  That is quizzical to me since the norm here is a dozen or variables of that... at least when getting one type of flower.. interesting
What can I say, we're weird people Tongue

And I'm even weirder as I refuse to play by the rules of whatever place I'm at Angel
You sound just like me. I tell people all the time that I'm odd and weird and I like it that way.

03-03-2013, 06:46 AM
(03-03-2013 06:33 AM)smidgen Wrote:  Lilacs smell so good.
Yeah, love the smell. We have several in our garden and when they start blooming, the whole place smells wonderful. Sadly, they don't last too long in a vase Sad

Am not too keen on white lilacs, which is a bit weird, as I love white flowers as a rule. But not lilacs. Plus, white lilacs don't really smell. Go figure.

03-03-2013, 06:47 AM
(03-03-2013 05:27 AM)Vera Wrote:  

I love useless factoids.

03-03-2013, 06:51 AM
(03-03-2013 06:45 AM)smidgen Wrote:  You sound just like me. I tell people all the time that I'm odd and weird and I like it that way.
In all fairness, I don't think I'm weird. Or I think everyone is a bit weird. (But I've been called that; didn't particularly care about it, either Tongue )

(03-03-2013 06:47 AM)smidgen Wrote:  I love useless factoids.
I have hundreds of those. My brain seems to only retain those. Anything useful goes out the moment it goes in No

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-03-2013, 06:53 AM
(03-03-2013 06:46 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 06:33 AM)smidgen Wrote:  Lilacs smell so good.
Yeah, love the smell. We have several in our garden and when they start blooming, the whole place smells wonderful. Sadly, they don't last too long in a vase Sad

Am not too keen on white lilacs, which is a bit weird, as I love white flowers as a rule. But not lilacs. Plus, white lilacs don't really smell. Go figure.
I don't think I have ever seen a white lilacs grow around here.
They mostly grow wild around here and they are always pink. hmmm