Happy Ramadan you infidels.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 04:40 AM
RE: Happy Ramadan you infidels.
(05-06-2016 10:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 09:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, says me. It doesn't fit the definition. It's not fasting, just stupid.

So don't do it. Drinking Beverage

I would no more consider doing it than any other senseless religious dietary stricture.
This has nothing to do with people doing or not doing, it is about the absurdity of it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 05:01 AM
(06-06-2016 04:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 10:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  So don't do it. Drinking Beverage

I would no more consider doing it than any other senseless religious dietary stricture.
This has nothing to do with people doing or not doing, it is about the absurdity of it.

People climb mountains, run races, fight in martial arts... There's no reason for any of these things - they're senseless. Why would you climb a mountain just to see the view? We have movie cameras! Why would you run a race? You most likely won't win, and you'll be tired afterwards... Yet people enjoy such activities for the challenge itself. Religion be damned, I still think it's an achievement to do it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
06-06-2016, 05:38 AM
(06-06-2016 05:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 04:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  I would no more consider doing it than any other senseless religious dietary stricture.

People climb mountains, run races, fight in martial arts... There's no reason for any of these things - they're senseless. Why would you climb a mountain just to see the view?

To see the view for oneself.

Quote: We have movie cameras! Why would you run a race? You most likely won't win, and you'll be tired afterwards...

Athletic endeavors promote physical fitness.

Quote:Yet people enjoy such activities for the challenge itself. Religion be damned, I still think it's an achievement to do it.

It is an unhealthy 'achievement'. It is an absurd ritualistic sacrifice.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2016, 05:46 AM
(06-06-2016 05:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  It is an unhealthy 'achievement'. It is an absurd ritualistic sacrifice.

Aye, but even if running was as bad for me as cigarettes, I'd still do it Tongue I just happen to be lucky that my chosen poison is supposed to be good for one.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-06-2016, 06:33 AM
One thing that remains from my Catholic youth is Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday. It has become part of tradition that we have a load of pancakes for supper.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
06-06-2016, 08:21 AM
None of the ritual from my practicing Catholic days (by which I mean actions and practices which existed solely as Catholic ritual, not holidays recognized by my employer) was particularly useful, so I tossed it all out the window with the bath water. I find I'm plenty disciplined without things like Lenten sacrifice or daily prayer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
06-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Happy Ramadan you infidels.
My best friend when I was in the Navy wrote this on a bomb. The Muslims were outraged for some reason. Apparently it's alright to blow them up as long as you are diplomatic about it.
[Image: e624fda2257293e479a951206397a6d3.jpg]
06-06-2016, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 10:08 AM by Silly Deity.)
It's apparently the longest Ramadan for many years. That'll be fun for everyone eh?

A few years back I was working on an IT project at a client and we had project meetings in the late afternoon every day. One of the guys on the team was of South Asian origin and he kept disappearing below the table in our conference room complaining that he was having trouble with his ethernet connection. This happened every day for several days before someone looked under the table to find out what he was doing. Turned out he was munching on donuts. He was muslim but was cheating because he just couldn't fast until 8:30 in the evening.

Oh, how we chuckled!

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post