Happy VD!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Happy VD!!
No, not chlamydia damnit...

Happy Veterans Day.

To all my brothers and sisters who served --- there's no better fraternity than one that exists for a better reason than getting drunk and doing stupid shit....

(although to think of it, we did a lot of that too....)

Semper Paratus....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-11-2015, 09:37 AM
RE: Happy VD!!
For all past and present service members: Thank you.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
11-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Thank you both. I was in the US Army from September 11, 2000 to December 20, 2003. I spent the majority of my time in the 82nd Airborne Division. I've been out for so long that my service seems almost like a dream.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
11-11-2015, 10:37 AM
To all our past and present servicemen and women a sincere and heartfelt thank you. Yes

[Image: vetpos87.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-11-2015, 10:53 AM
(11-11-2015 09:57 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Thank you both. I was in the US Army from September 11, 2000 to December 20, 2003. I spent the majority of my time in the 82nd Airborne Division. I've been out for so long that my service seems almost like a dream.

US Navy, '72-'76. That sure was a long time ago- joined when I was 20 YO. I worked in the engine room of steam powered ships.
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
11-11-2015, 11:06 AM
I guess you guys also have Memorial day as a more sombre counterpart, but the idea of associating "happy" with what is marked as Remembrance day in the Commonwealth is... weird.

I wish some people were better at separating their feelings for the military (and certain military operations) from the individual men and women who have served.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
11-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Thank you to all who have served and continue to serve!

[Image: vd-cj1.jpg]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-11-2015, 11:12 AM
War is nothing to be happy about or proud of. No no no no, I don't mean don't be thankful for service. I didn't serve but am damned glad there are people who do. It for me is a bittersweet thank you. In a perfect world there would be no military worldwide for any country. But war itself is hell and both service people and civilians get hurt or die. It is nothing to be happy about.

If we want to honor vets, we should honor them by valuing diplomacy and exhaust all paths and only put them in harms way when there is no other choice. But I am no fan of fake patriotism that uses cliche images and words. Our military is diverse, from privates to Generals, coming from all religious, political, economic views and backgrounds of all shades of skin tone.

Yes thank them, thank them because we live in an imperfect world. Thank them because you can type this here and now. Thank them because they do what most don't. But do them and humanity a favor, don't glorify war.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
11-11-2015, 11:25 AM
(11-11-2015 11:06 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I guess you guys also have Memorial day as a more sombre counterpart, but the idea of associating "happy" with what is marked as Remembrance day in the Commonwealth is... weird.

Yeah. That.

11/11 is for me a very poignant day.

I've stood on the Champs Elysee on that day watching old men weep.

I've watched my father with his medals polished and gleaming in the winter sun breathing deeply to hold back the tears of memory.

Hearing The Last Post ... can't be "happy" on those occasions.

"We will remember them".

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
11-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Wasn't it originally called armistice day? It was a day to remember the end of WW1.

One of those other days no one was supposed to forget.

That said on my errands today I bought a veteran a cup of coffee.

I wish I could do more for him, but he doesn't want the help.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post