Happy birthday Sir Hume

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-05-2011, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2011 03:12 PM by Observer.)
Happy birthday Sir Hume
Earth 7 may 2011 AC (Julian calender system)

Sir David Hume:
It is me, humble layman in philosophy, a great honour to wish you a happy 300th birthday.

I wonder if you, during your life, could have grasped how much impact your thinking could have had 300 years from then.
I like to think that you'd say "thwas not that my thinking was right, thwas that history proved my thinking right"

Your view on the added value of "educated woman" as they where called in those days where truly a gentleman worthy.
Only for those insights alone you deserve utmost respect.

Your avocation on scepticism of science with insights on "how the rational deed of collecting evidence by scientific method is driven by the irrational emotion of curiosity" is a good one to prevent future scientist to become too cocky.

But my utmost respect for you comes from your thoughts on atheism. You Sir, paved the way for the more secular society we live in today. A society of humans who aren't god-puppets.

Sir Hume...
In French they say that "body's disappear in the water, but humans disappear in the mind"
You Sir, are one of the few that will live forever.

Insightful Hume-day everyone (link to wiki page)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
07-05-2011, 03:48 AM
RE: Happy birthday Sir Hume
I don't care much for birthdays, but he is certainly a man worth remembering.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm in research for real atheist celebration days. I think 7 may would be a good one. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
We already have one, the 1st of april. Just ask Ray Comfort. =P

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
07-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Think of the smell, if Sir. Hume actually get's up so as to blow out his candle! Confused
[Image: 12.gif]

Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
(07-05-2011 04:03 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Think of the smell, if Sir. Hume actually get's up so as to blow out his candle!
After 300 years no much will be left of him. some dust perhaps. Undecided

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist