Happy but a little sad too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Happy but a little sad too
Well my eldest son moves out on Saturday, he's 21 so I think it's time he spread his wings and I am happy he has managed to sort himself with a job and flat and that he's really excited and upbeat about it all.

Thing is, I can't help but feel a little bit sad that he's not going to be around everyday, selfish I know but I'm really going to miss him.

I'm going to have to control the urge to visit him, I know it's going to be difficult, did anyone else feel the same about their kids moving away?

Thanks

Get your own bleeding hymn book
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thedemonbarber's post
06-09-2017, 08:19 AM
RE: Happy but a little sad too
(06-09-2017 07:33 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Well my eldest son moves out on Saturday, he's 21 so I think it's time he spread his wings and I am happy he has managed to sort himself with a job and flat and that he's really excited and upbeat about it all.

Thing is, I can't help but feel a little bit sad that he's not going to be around everyday, selfish I know but I'm really going to miss him.

I'm going to have to control the urge to visit him, I know it's going to be difficult, did anyone else feel the same about their kids moving away?

Thanks

In some ways you should be.. uh... thankful. Here in Australia, it's just been reported that the average age of "children" leaving the parental home is now 28 years!

I never had kids, so it's an emotion unknown to me—other than as the "leaver". I only ever saw my folks on roughly a monthly basis once I moved out, although as they aged, I probably visited them every couple of weeks, partly to make sure everything was okay from a medical and housekeeping aspect.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
06-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Once you start chasing your old lady around the house naked you'll get over it.
I'm guessing that as sad as you are about him leaving the nest, there's a party in the works.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
06-09-2017, 08:35 AM
It's a confusing time, for parents I think, although it should be more happy than not. I'm sure your son won't mind you visiting from time to time, and I'm sure he'll visit you when possible.

I would mention, just double check how he's getting on setting up all his payments and stuff like that. When I moved out, my mum was happy for me, but didn't give the inside scoop on how to handle your finances correctly, (What/who to pay, when to do so, prioritizing your money etc), and I had to find out the hard way haha.

Quote:Son of an owl!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
06-09-2017, 08:41 AM
(06-09-2017 08:25 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Once you start chasing your old lady around the house naked you'll get over it.
I'm guessing that as sad as you are about him leaving the nest, there's a party in the works.

Don't forget to get the locks rekeyed.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 5 users Like whateverist's post
06-09-2017, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2017 08:50 AM by BikerDude.)
(06-09-2017 08:41 AM)whateverist Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 08:25 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Once you start chasing your old lady around the house naked you'll get over it.

Don't forget to get the locks rekeyed.

Oh hell yeah.
Lava lamps, mirror ball, some of those bean bag chairs scattered around the den.
It cocktail time!

[Image: images.jpg]

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
06-09-2017, 09:16 AM
We had all expected my one and only to be around for at least the summer after college. She had her own private bedroom downstairs suite (door to outside world, bathroom) as far from our room on the second floor as possible. So she could come and go with no curfew and start to put aside some money before spreading her wings. Instead, she announced in APRIL, on my friggin BIRTHDAY that she was getting an apartment with one of her dorm mates that she didn't even particularly get along well with. It was very hurtful. She's never lived with us since and that's been 16 years. But she's never lived more than about an hour and a half away. Usually closer.

I see you said eldest son so I assume there are others at home. In our case it was easier to get used to because pretty quickly we started reveling in the fact that we could chase each other around nekkid and have complete privacy.

Good luck. I know it's going to be difficult especially at first.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
06-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Hug

Heart

Thumbsup
06-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Totally difficult! Im 5-10 years away from that and I think about this already. It's a change in the relationship, and a loss. Of course there are good memories that are different (a good kind) and fun that are ahead, too.

Just one of those things.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-09-2017, 10:23 AM
awwww. I am some years away from that, but I understand how difficult it must be.
But it also must be so exciting to see him spread his wings!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post