Happy greeting card, chocolate, and floral company day!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
14-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Happy greeting card, chocolate, and floral company day!
SMH. What a stupid holiday.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
14-02-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: Happy greeting card, chocolate, and floral company day!
I got my wife a stuffed dog, a card, chocolate, and tulips. She likes that kind of stuff.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-02-2012, 09:36 AM
(14-02-2012 09:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I got my wife a stuffed dog, a card, chocolate, and tulips. She likes that kind of stuff.

Why didn't you do it on January 14th. Does it mean more because it's on Valentine's Day?

Are wives and girlfriends (or husbands and boyfriends) content with affection on only one day a year as long as it's Feb 14th?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
14-02-2012, 09:38 AM
(14-02-2012 09:36 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 09:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I got my wife a stuffed dog, a card, chocolate, and tulips. She likes that kind of stuff.

Why didn't you do it on January 14th. Does it mean more because it's on Valentine's Day?

Are wives and girlfriends (or husbands and boyfriends) content with affection on only one day a year as long as it's Feb 14th?

It's the same reason we celebrate Christmas on December 25th. It's designated.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-02-2012, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2012 10:14 AM by germanyt.)
(14-02-2012 09:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 09:36 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

It's the same reason we celebrate Christmas on December 25th. It's designated.

I guess my question is why we have a Valentines Day in the first place. I know it's history but it's widely debated and rarely agreed upon. Same with Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. I'm irritated by the fact that people feel it necessary to purchase products just because the media or a little text on a calendar tells them to. And if they don't, other people think they are mean or uncaring. I won't be texting anyone Happy Valentines Day or posting anything on FB. So I'll look like the dickhead. Oh well.

-Mark Twain
14-02-2012, 10:03 AM
It's a good day to get over the top smoothy-wooshy on a grande and public scale, but can take a wrong turn if one takes it too seriously Smile

And that's Happy SAINT greeting card, chocolate, and floral company day! Wink ha ha.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
14-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Funny thing is, my wife and I NEVER do anything on valentines. No presents, or other bullshit. It's not that we boycott valentines (we refer to it as "Hallmark Day"), it just feels fake to do that stuff on the one day of the year that the card and flower shops designate as the day to cash in on consumerism.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
14-02-2012, 10:15 AM
(14-02-2012 10:05 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Funny thing is, my wife and I NEVER do anything on valentines. No presents, or other bullshit. It's not that we boycott valentines (we refer to it as "Hallmark Day"), it just feels fake to do that stuff on the one day of the year that the card and flower shops designate as the day to cash in on consumerism.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! This!

-Mark Twain
14-02-2012, 10:23 AM
I personally believe that valentines day is bullshit.
I hate being told I have to buy something to show my love. It's like... fuck you I do.
Also I think the idea of forced present giving takes the specialness from the gift and adds a layer of competition to it that completely devalues it.
I remember the first one that meant anything to me because I had my first in school girlfriend. I was poor, and as such had no money for gifts. But I managed to scrape together enough money for a box of chocolates, and I'd picked some flowers from outside in the neighborhood, and I was also going to give her my favorite stuffed animal. (it was grade two... I don't have stuffed animals anymore... really... I swear..)
Only the day of I brought it all to school and saw all the other gifts the kids were giving. There was even one kid who gave a fucking gold bracelet, no joke in grade two the prick. So I felt like the stupidest kid in the world. I threw my gifts in the trash and broke up with her. Happy Valentines. Stupid horseshit holiday.

That being said I got my wife some candy and I made her a card and a picture frame with a picture of her and me and the kid in it. The picture was in sepia tone... booyah.
Cant' beat sepia tone suckers.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
14-02-2012, 10:58 AM
(14-02-2012 10:23 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Only the day of I brought it all to school and saw all the other gifts the kids were giving. There was even one kid who gave a fucking gold bracelet, no joke in grade two the prick.

I don't know why, but that makes me angry. Angry It just seems so extraordinarily fake and competitive.

In any case, my birthday is the day after Valentines day (tomorrow) so we usually celebrate both together with something simple but fun. This year we're going to make sushi! But we're going to do that this weekend rather than on Valentines itself.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post