Happy leap second Every body!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Happy leap second Every body!
Today is longer by one second. These leap seconds are put in and adjusted due to climatic and geological events. And overall, earths rotation is slowing down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

At one time, millions of years ago the earth spun much faster. We know that there were were 410 days in a year due to coral fossils.

You look at a coral today and they will have EXACTLY 365 growth rings in a year for each day (much like a tree has one for each year).

Corals have been around for millions of years. These same (fossilized) corals from millions of years ago have been found to have up to 410 rings!

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
30-06-2012, 03:54 PM
RE: Happy leap second Every body!
(30-06-2012 03:47 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Today is longer by one second. These leap seconds are put in and adjusted due to climatic and geological events. And overall, earths rotation is slowing down.

At one time, millions of years ago the earth spun much faster. We know that there were were 410 days in a year due to coral fossils.

You look at a coral today and they will have EXACTLY 365 growth rings in a year for each day (much like a tree has one for each year).

Corals have been around for millions of years. These same (fossilized) corals from millions of years ago have been found to have up to 410 rings!
The leap second is added after 23:59:59 UTC.
23:59:58
23:59:59
23:59:60
00:00:00
00:00:01

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Dang, that explains it! I knew this day seemed longer than most. Blush

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
30-06-2012, 04:02 PM
(30-06-2012 04:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Dang, that explains it! I knew this day seemed longer than most. Blush
Nyaaaah, that's because you live where the sun don't shine. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Technically leap seconds can either mean a 61 second UTC minute or a 59 second UTC minute, although only the 61 second variety has been needed so far. The adjustment is made to keep UTC and GMT sufficiently close to each other, where UTC is primarily based on atomic clock time while GMT is based on astronomical observation. The adjustments can't be forecast all that long into the future as we can't predict the changes that will occur to the earth's rotation.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
30-06-2012, 11:11 PM
(30-06-2012 03:47 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Today is longer by one second. These leap seconds are put in and adjusted due to climatic and geological events. And overall, earths rotation is slowing down.

I'm slightly confused.
What does our days have to do with a year? 1 Day is how long it takes for the Earth to spin, a year is how long it takes to spin around the sun.
So if years were 410days long ages ago, wouldn't that mean either we are speeding up, or more likely, we are getting closer to the sun? Which again, what's that got to do with the length of a day?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
30-06-2012, 11:47 PM
(30-06-2012 11:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

I'm slightly confused.
What does our days have to do with a year? 1 Day is how long it takes for the Earth to spin, a year is how long it takes to spin around the sun.
So if years were 410days long ages ago, wouldn't that mean either we are speeding up, or more likely, we are getting closer to the sun? Which again, what's that got to do with the length of a day?
The time it takes for the earth to orbit the sun still takes the same (approximate) amount of time.

However the earth spun faster..not orbit faster. the earth spun 410 times by the time it takes it to orbit the sun once. Now it only spins 365 times in one travel around the sun.

After enough of these seconds are added. We will get to 364 days a year. With an occasional leap year to help with the adjustment.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
30-06-2012, 11:54 PM
(30-06-2012 11:47 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  
(30-06-2012 11:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm slightly confused.
The time it takes for the earth to orbit the sun still takes the same (approximate) amount of time.

However the earth spun faster..not orbit faster. the earth spun 410 times by the time it takes it to orbit the sun once. Now it only spins 365 times in one travel around the sun.

After enough of these seconds are added. We will get to 364 days a year. With an occasional leap year to help with the adjustment.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes yes yes I got you. Spun more times in the same time it took to orbit.. yeah I get it.

My bad.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Dammit. I'm always late to the party. ... Probably should cut down on the pre-drinking.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I knew I got more sleep today! It all makes so much sense now!
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post