Happy new year party with a dilemma.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Heart Happy new year party with a dilemma.
Hello and first I want to start off by saying I'm dyslectic. Sorry to all the gramer nazis in advance ^^'

Today is New Year eve in Sweden. Me and my Boyfriend was going to celebrate with one of his friends family.

Today when celebrating they had a tradition that the oldest daughter had to go in to the house first. They told me it was just a tradition so I didn't think much about it. But then when it came to doing it. It was much more then that. First I had to go with the right foot in first to the house and then give a kiss to a painting of what was some kind of Christian art work. I was right in the door so I didn't have much time to think about it. So I walked in with my right foot and gave a light kiss to the painting (Really I just touched it a little with my lips). I didn't know what to feel. I have not told them that I was an Atheist. And I already knew they where Christians because they had a lot of Christian art work in the house.

I sat on the stairs thinking about it when all of the suddenly a women came up to me and did some kind of gesture with a cross and a smoking thing. I said "No thanks" But she just smiled at me. They all told me this was Greek tradition.

I do think you all have been in a similar situation and I am sure I am not the fist posting about it. People seam to confuse tradition with ritual in this house hole Tongue
I didn't feel like breaking there tradition because everyone told me this was an important "tradition" to them. Yet I didn't feel to great about kissing a painting of what looked like the virgin Mary.

In this situation. What do you think a person should do. I feel like if I told them that I was a buddist and didn't want to kiss the picture they wold have allowed it. But of I said "No, I am a Atheist" They would have taken offense Sad
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like PurpleLink's post
31-12-2012, 07:06 PM
RE: Happy new year party with a dilemma.
Hey welcome!

You're sure to get different input to your dilemma, but here's what I think about it...Since it really doesn't mean anything, you're simply participating in a family tradition. Even from a "Christian" point of view, that sort of ritual is more superstitious than it is "spiritual." To me, it's no different than celebrating Christmas. Sure, there may be some religious significance to other people, but I enjoy it without that significance. In this case, you can enjoy being part of a tradition without giving credence to there being anything real about it. Then again, you had to kiss a painting, and that just sounds a little weird to me. Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
31-12-2012, 07:10 PM
(31-12-2012 07:00 PM)PurpleLink Wrote:  Hello and first I want to start off by saying I'm dyslectic. Sorry to all the gramer nazis in advance ^^'

Today is New Year eve in Sweden. Me and my Boyfriend was going to celebrate with one of his friends family.

Today when celebrating they had a tradition that the oldest daughter had to go in to the house first. They told me it was just a tradition so I didn't think much about it. But then when it came to doing it. It was much more then that. First I had to go with the right foot in first to the house and then give a kiss to a painting of what was some kind of Christian art work. I was right in the door so I didn't have much time to think about it. So I walked in with my right foot and gave a light kiss to the painting (Really I just touched it a little with my lips). I didn't know what to feel. I have not told them that I was an Atheist. And I already knew they where Christians because they had a lot of Christian art work in the house.

I sat on the stairs thinking about it when all of the suddenly a women came up to me and did some kind of gesture with a cross and a smoking thing. I said "No thanks" But she just smiled at me. They all told me this was Greek tradition.

I do think you all have been in a similar situation and I am sure I am not the fist posting about it. People seam to confuse tradition with ritual in this house hole Tongue
I didn't feel like breaking there tradition because everyone told me this was an important "tradition" to them. Yet I didn't feel to great about kissing a painting of what looked like the virgin Mary.

In this situation. What do you think a person should do. I feel like if I told them that I was a buddist and didn't want to kiss the picture they wold have allowed it. But of I said "No, I am a Atheist" They would have taken offense Sad
Hi and welcome! Happy new year from Australia!

My opinion is that if people are offended by you stating you're an atheist then they have the problem, not you. I think we should all be proud of who we are.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
31-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks. Didn't think of it like that but yeah I could understand.

The kissing of the painting part was really wired. Never thought I would do something like that after becoming a Atheist.
(31-12-2012 07:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey welcome!

You're sure to get different input to your dilemma, but here's what I think about it...Since it really doesn't mean anything, you're simply participating in a family tradition. Even from a "Christian" point of view, that sort of ritual is more superstitious than it is "spiritual." To me, it's no different than celebrating Christmas. Sure, there may be some religious significance to other people, but I enjoy it without that significance. In this case, you can enjoy being part of a tradition without giving credence to there being anything real about it. Then again, you had to kiss a painting, and that just sounds a little weird to me. Tongue
01-01-2013, 02:04 AM
Gee.....you're 18 and Swedish.....um......any......chance....we could see a photo of you?
01-01-2013, 02:29 AM
This does sound like an Orthodox (or Greek) thing to do. Though a bit more hard core than most people (it's usually priests who wave around those things). The swinging thingummy was probably full of incense. I love the smell, so it doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't be too keen on kissing a piece of wood (minds out of gutter, the rest of you! Icons in our churches are usually painted on wood, so I'm assuming) or even a normal painting that a bunch of other people have been slobbering over for who knows how long. But it's the slobbering part that bothers me, not the religious one.

You're still right - they shouldn't insist on you doing it, but as they do not know you're an atheist... Also, it is more superstitious than anything else...

Oh and - välkommen Smile Whereabouts in Sweden are you from? I lived in Linkoping for a year. Beautiful town.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
01-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

Once you told them you did not want to participate they should have respected your wishes and dropped the matter. It was their being rude not you.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume