Harambe the Gorilla

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Harambe the Gorilla
I'm sure all of you have already seen the story of the gorilla, Harambe, who was killed after a child snuck into his enclosure and fell into the moat. I don't mean to spark a debate about the "should we or shouldn't we have killed the endangered gorilla" question, which has apparently been raging throughout the rest of the internet.

No, I post this because my mother and a few other fundamentalists in my family and social circles from back home in Louisiana posted this article by a Louisiana preacher about it, called "Harambe Wasn't Made In God's Image".

I consider it an example of how Creationism poisons the minds of humans. It was all I could do not to explode at my own mother for endorsing it, so I came here to vent, instead.

(If y'all want to know my personal opinion on it, I'm astounded the zoo's experts reached for bullets over tranquilizer darts, rather than using bullets as the backup plan in case the tranqs failed or the gorilla actually made a violent move toward the child, since every aspect of the gorilla's behavior--including dragging the child through the water by his ankle--was exactly the same way a gorilla male will act when protecting baby gorillas from threats. All the humans were shrieking and shouting, and the gorilla clearly considered them a threat to the boy, whom he kept trying to hide from their shrieks-- I suspect Harambe's last thoughts were to wonder why the tribe of bipedal chimpanzees was wanting to kill the youngling.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-06-2016, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 08:19 PM by SitaSky.)
RE: Harambe the Gorilla
Well according to their logic we humans are made in God's image so that makes us better? The last I checked only humans have been able to develop nuclear weapons capable of killing thousands of our fellow humans in one instant. We also have a tendency to commit genocides because those other humans have a different skin tone than us and they worship the same god we do....but they do it wrong!

The one thing we have is our intelligence and our creativity over animals, sadly we can be just as savage if not more so and we're constantly at war with each other, other animals and the planet we call home. We're currently destroying it and we're more like a virus, killing our host. Is that ok because Jesus will come back and destroy it anyway?

I have noticed the family of the boy along with others have credited "angels" and Jesus himself for saving that boy, I guess the angels didn't care enough to calm the gorilla and get him away from the boy, the bullet was good enough for that? The cruelty of these beliefs is truly astounding. I agree that tranquilizers were the better option if they would work quickly but we'll never know now. RIP Harambe.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
02-06-2016, 08:10 PM
(02-06-2016 07:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm sure all of you have already seen the story of the gorilla, Harambe, who was killed after a child snuck into his enclosure and fell into the moat. I don't mean to spark a debate about the "should we or shouldn't we have killed the endangered gorilla" question, which has apparently been raging throughout the rest of the internet.

No, I post this because my mother and a few other fundamentalists in my family and social circles from back home in Louisiana posted this article by a Louisiana preacher about it, called "Harambe Wasn't Made In God's Image".

I consider it an example of how Creationism poisons the minds of humans. It was all I could do not to explode at my own mother for endorsing it, so I came here to vent, instead.

(If y'all want to know my personal opinion on it, I'm astounded the zoo's experts reached for bullets over tranquilizer darts, rather than using bullets as the backup plan in case the tranqs failed or the gorilla actually made a violent move toward the child, since every aspect of the gorilla's behavior--including dragging the child through the water by his ankle--was exactly the same way a gorilla male will act when protecting baby gorillas from threats. All the humans were shrieking and shouting, and the gorilla clearly considered them a threat to the boy, whom he kept trying to hide from their shrieks-- I suspect Harambe's last thoughts were to wonder why the tribe of bipedal chimpanzees was wanting to kill the youngling.)

Tranq's could have agitated him as they are not as potent and would have taken time to work, causing more harm then good and even if he was trying to protect the child, he was still doing it in a very aggressive manner. That's my opinion based off responses from experts. Just putting it out there.

As for creationists, reminds me of what Rush Limbaugh said about how could Harambe exists if evolution is true. Goes to show how little they actually understand evolution.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
02-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Somebody's been watching too much TV....

A tranq dart doesn't work instantaneously.. If you use a dosage high enough to knock an animal down instantly - it's almost certain to stop involuntary muscles too --- i.e. heart and lung function.

A bullet does work instantly-- if applied properly.

If you can't figure out the "human child > gorilla" math -- you need your head examined..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-06-2016, 08:56 PM
(02-06-2016 07:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm sure all of you have already seen the story of the gorilla, Harambe, who was killed after a child snuck into his enclosure and fell into the moat. I don't mean to spark a debate about the "should we or shouldn't we have killed the endangered gorilla" question, which has apparently been raging throughout the rest of the internet.

I can't find it right now but I'll post it later if I do. There's a post from an apes expert about the actions of Harambe and how they were not the "he's protecting the child" but were actually aggressive moves to warn off the people using the child as his threat. Gorillas often grab trees, limbs, rock and other things and drag them around as a threatening gesture, which is what he was doing with the child.

Yes, he was upset that the crowd was yelling and yes they did have to shoot him as much as it pains me to say so. Their fear was if tranqued he might be agitated or even pass out on top of the child in the moat and drown him. It could take up to 30 minutes to make him unconscious especially in his agitated state. It was a horrible but best call.

As for the religious people who think man is a gods little special snowflake, fuck them, they're asshats on many levels so I'm not surprised they spew more stupid.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 8 users Like Heatheness's post
02-06-2016, 10:20 PM

The problem is the zoo failed to provide a safe enclosure. It failed the gorilla a long time ago. The child should never have been even able to get near the moat. Most zoos have a system of double fencing. It should never have come to tranquilizing. But you're right. The idiot crowd should have shut the fuck up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-06-2016, 10:30 PM
The problem is silverbacks are killed in Rwanda to make ashtrays out of their hands to be sold in China.
02-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Yeah I had a co-worker who I know is religious start talking about how no matter what the human life is what mattered. I only "probably" agree. But not for the same reasons as her I'm sure.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-06-2016, 11:27 PM
(02-06-2016 08:56 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  There's a post from an apes expert about the actions of Harambe and how they were not the "he's protecting the child" but were actually aggressive moves to warn off the people using the child as his threat. Gorillas often grab trees, limbs, rock and other things and drag them around as a threatening gesture, which is what he was doing with the child.

This is correct. Dragging and swinging objects is a dominance display amongst gorillas.

Fact is, the zookeepers, who are not only formally educated in gorilla behavior but personally familiar with Harambe's personality, decided to kill him based on their own knowledge. OLB is right, tranqing the ape wasn't really an option given effective time, the danger to the boy, and dosage considerations.

I'm sad Harambe is dead. I'm glad the boy is alive. I'm mad the mother ignored the boy's repeated shouts that he was going to get down there.

This should never have happened ... but it has.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-06-2016, 12:23 AM
(02-06-2016 08:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you can't figure out the "human child > gorilla" math -- you need your head examined..
Honestly I don't know if I care more about the life of a stranger human child vs a stranger gorilla. I probably would value the life of a known gorilla over a stranger human.

I know many people who have pets have said that they value their pet's life over that of a stranger.

But ultimately I am not emotionally invested in this case. I get, given how humans value ourselves over other animals, that there were no options. That is, no other sure-fire options that ended with a minimally injured, but almost gauranteed alive child..

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.