Harambe the Gorilla

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2016, 03:31 PM
RE: Harambe the Gorilla
The "fence" (if it could be called that) probably a 10 year old could get through or around. The zoo had to have secure system, what ever they chose, which would prevent unsafe childish activity. They failed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2016, 03:33 PM
(03-06-2016 02:41 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Imma skirt the whole debate and get to the meat in the sandwich.

Zoos are wrong.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

Make sure you know something about what's going on in these animals' natural habitats before you make that call.
03-06-2016, 03:33 PM
(03-06-2016 03:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The "fence" (if it could be called that) probably a 10 year old could get through or around. The zoo had to have secure system, what ever they chose, which would prevent unsafe childish activity. They failed.

The law requires reasonable precautions, not foolproof ones.

What constitutes reasonable in this case, who the hell knows.

... this is my signature!
03-06-2016, 03:36 PM
(03-06-2016 03:33 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Make sure you know something about what's going on in these animals' natural habitats before you make that call.

In the context of "firestorm of the minute" I'm more than content in my hasty pudding. If you expect rational discourse from a non-evolutionary biologist, non-sociologist, I guess I could do that ... if I were sober and had time to research.

What are you saying? That for some animals, zoos are preferable to their natural (and in some cases non-extant) habitats? Sure, I get that. What I also get is a facebook wall where everybody is suddenly an expert, that's the whole debate I'm trying to avoid.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Quote:What are you saying? That for some animals, zoos are preferable to their natural (and in some cases non-extant) habitats? Sure, I get that.

Cool. I think that's a much more intelligent, interesting, and important topic. I know it lacks novelty but it makes up for it by actually being significant.

I don't agree with your blanket statement about zoos but I'm right there with you about this extremely isolated borderline non-story.
03-06-2016, 05:05 PM
(03-06-2016 01:39 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 12:34 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We have a leash law in Michigan. Your dog MUST be restrained at all times.

We also have a concealed carry law. And I do carry.

If your dog chases me on a bike - you're pretty likely to lose a dog.

If your dog bites me - you WILL lose a dog.

And you'll be paying my medical bills -- after you get out of jail.

Fuckn people who let their animals run loose, shouldn't be allowed to own animals...

I'm a dog owner but I completely agree with you. You would never have to shoot my dogs because I care enough about them to keep them on-leash. I wouldn't mind at all if you killed a few of the ones running around here off-leash.

You're one of the good ones....

I like dogs. I've owned more than a few. BUT --- like anything else --- it's YOUR dog - and YOU are responsible for it. If you're willing to do that - and do it - EXCELLENT!!!!! That's the way it's supposed to be....

But the asshats who let their mutts run loose, causing havoc and expecting everyone else to believe "That's just how dogs are - and you should expect it" --- need to be beaten severely....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-06-2016, 05:11 PM
I agree that people who let their pets roam freely are just asking for something (bad) to happen to their pets. I don't agree with killing these pets if they start chasing you.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-06-2016, 05:46 PM
(03-06-2016 05:11 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I agree that people who let their pets roam freely are just asking for something (bad) to happen to their pets. I don't agree with killing these pets if they start chasing you.

Having it come down to that would be a nightmare, for me at least. It pisses me off that some dog owners are so nonchalant about putting people in that position. Having to kill a dog would cause me incredible distress and anguish. I know I would feel horrified afterward and very worried about the consequences. But I can't say it's off the table for me either, especially if my own LEASHED dogs might be in danger.
03-06-2016, 07:23 PM
(03-06-2016 03:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 08:22 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  But there is a difference between safety railing, which stops an accident from happening, and a full gate, which might stop somebody from intentionally entering. From what I've heard/read, the kid intentionally did this.

You think toddlers have intent?

That's my position for everyone involved including Harambe. There was no intent by anyone involved for this outcome. There is no blame to place. Lessons to be learned for sure, but no blame deserved.

This is life, always has been. I also agree with Cantor in the sense that if we hadn't cornered a fucking Silverback and invited the general dumbshit public to come harass it there would be no chance of this scenario playing out in the first place.

That said, given the extreme circumstances of the situation, I respect the decision of the people who most intimately knew the gorilla and had the most reason to keep him alive to pull the trigger. If they thought it was best, I have no choice but to agree.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
03-06-2016, 07:29 PM
(03-06-2016 03:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 08:22 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  But there is a difference between safety railing, which stops an accident from happening, and a full gate, which might stop somebody from intentionally entering. From what I've heard/read, the kid intentionally did this.

You think toddlers have intent?
I think he was 4, and yes I think he had control over whether or not he did this.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.