Harassed by a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Harassed by a theist?
I'm coming here right now mostly just to blow off steam. I had my first absolutely ridiculous confrontation with a theist exfriend from highschool. I've been an atheist for about a year. I haven't spoken to this girl in almost 9 years. That is until today. She friended me on facebook and likely notice that I am listed as an atheist. She sent me her phone number to text. She used to be a cool person, so I texted her.

She was weird from the start. Tried to pry into what she assumed my problems were. I told her very little but generic info about me. Nothing private at all. Then out of the blue said "I just prayed." I resisted the urge to reply with I just masturbated and said OK. Then she said "Ok, I'll pray for you."

Me: "Ok well you're welcome to pray for me if you like, but I am not christian so can we discuss something else?"

Her: "God and Jesus can save you. I do not want to see you go to Hell but that is your choice."

This is where I got pissed and told her off. " No, things that do not exist cannot save me and I have nothing to be saved from. Do not threaten me with your religions hell. I do not appreciate you seeking me out with the sole purpose of preaching at me. Do not contact me again."

Then she told me this and set my blood boiling
"If I didn't have God and Jesus, I would be a messed up naughty little girl too."

I spent a further 30 minutes telling her in various ways to stop texting me and leave me alone. I finally had to download an app for my droid to block her calls and texts. She accused me of being judgmental and even accused me of not wanting to be her friend because she was a christian. Then she tracked down my husband on facebook and sent him this in a private message:

Dear Brian *****, I talked to your wife, Jessica *****. She doesn't want to be my friend because I am a Christian, that loves to talk about God and Jesus. I would be her friend, but I don't what to talk about with her because she doesn't tell me. Maybe some day she will come to realize God and Jesus are here for her. I heard you are a Christian man. (For the record my husband is actually an anti-religious deist) You know all we can do is pray for her, now. I hope your marriage gets better. It is great that you have three children. I hope you enjoy your three children. Jessica Jones was my friend in high school. Have a great day. God bless you. Sincerely, Jessica.

Yes, we're both named Jessica. Some damn nerve. I wish I had told her off even more than I did. At one point in the ridiculous text argument/harassment session she asked me why my husband would have ever married me. I could not believe she went so far as to actually track down my husband and message him. How do the rest of you deal with this kind of crap?
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
RE: Harassed by a theist?
I typically just laugh that sort of stuff off. If a person is curious as to why I'm an atheist, what exactly an atheist is, then I'll answer happily and honestly, but if they start to harass me like you, I typically make a joke of it. For example, if someone says,

"Why do you hate god?", then I might say,

"Have you read the old testament? The guy's a jerk", or something kidding like that. I'm pretty hard to annoy, so this is all easy to me. If they see that they can't get under your skin, they'll stop trying. And if not, again, just try to make a game of it. Life is far to short to spend in frustration and anger. And with your husband(that was pretty nervy to message him), just talk to him and explain what happened. If he is tolerant enough to marry an atheist, he should be understanding enough to realize that she was crossing lines.

Hope you stay, this is a great site to blow off steam and relate to other atheists.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I know how you must feel. I'd be furious too. I can't stand that sort of shit. I think you did the right thing by blocking her. I hope your husband has the sense to blow her off as well.

Just leave it alone. You can argue with these sort of people til you're blue in the face and you won't get anywhere. The more you argue, the more she thinks she right. Not saying this makes sense to normal people, but...

You should be able to say leave me alone and have that end it. This person has no respect for you or your boundaries at all. She needs to prove you wrong to feel like she's right. It's all a load of crap, and it's not even meant to help you, (as she may try to claim) it's about her inflating her own ego and being "right."

Try to just let it go. Unfriend her. Block her calls and text. Your husband should do the same. You know the truth, and I trust your husband does too. But feel free to vent away, we all understand here.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I agree with Ashley, if you make light of it, either they will leave you alone, or you might actually set-off some sort of reason protocol in their brain, but if you can't then I'd go with trillium's advice (I would offer my own, but they both got here before me and stole it xP). And you are more than welcome here, we love new people (I'm sorta obligated, being God and all, not sure why the others do, jk).
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Quote:I resisted the urge to reply with I just masturbated and said OK

Quote:Then she tracked down my husband

One of the greatest statements ever followed by the worst statement ever. You had me until then. But hey, my name's Brian too, maybe your husband and I are related.

Yeah I get this a lot also. An overly happy, blank-stare christian asking me frustratingly devoid of any logic questions... and then asking why atheists are "so mad" at everyone. I usually just start listing off the gems in the Bible that most religious either never heard of or conveniently forgot about. Counter their claim that "you don't know Christ" with proof that you know this Christ person much better than they do. Start listing off all the wonderous passages of Deuteronomy or the "how to properly beat your slave" instructions of Exodus and then ask her what kind of person would subscribe to this malicious doctrine.

Then tell her that if she would just invite Zeus into her heart, one day she might be saved from the fires of Hades.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
(02-01-2011 11:20 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  

One of the greatest statements ever followed by the worst statement ever. You had me until then. But hey, my name's Brian too, maybe we're related.

Yeah I get this a lot also. An overly happy, blank-stare christian asking me frustratingly devoid of any logic questions... and then asking why atheists are "so mad" at everyone. I usually just start listing off the gems in the Bible that most religious either never heard of or conveniently forgot about. Counter their claim that "you don't know Christ" with proof that you know this Christ person much better than they do. Start listing off all the wonderous passages of Deuteronomy or the "how to properly beat your slave" instructions of Exodus and then ask her what kind of person would subscribe to this malicious doctrine.

Then tell her that if she would just invite Zeus into her heart, one day she might be saved from the fires of Hades.

I love you.
02-01-2011, 11:39 PM
(02-01-2011 11:22 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 11:20 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  

One of the greatest statements ever followed by the worst statement ever. You had me until then. But hey, my name's Brian too, maybe we're related.

I love you.

[Image: thumbsup.gif]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
03-01-2011, 07:19 AM
We all love Buddy Christ, for he is our lord and savior :'D
lol

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
03-01-2011, 09:21 AM
(02-01-2011 06:04 PM)Aleena Wrote:  I wish I had told her off even more than I did.

Why? For what possible purpose? If you have not spoken to this person in 9 years, then she is not your friend so why do you care what she thinks?

For someone I have a relationship with I may respond the way Ashley suggested. For someone who tries to pry their way into my life for the sole purpose of preaching to me, I won't even bother to respond.

You have no obligation to respond to this girl. All you've done, in my opinion at least, is let her have control over how you do things. Why even bother blocking her from texting you? You have no obligation to read her texts or to respond to her.

For me, the best way to deal with people like this is to let them live their life while I go and live mine. Life is too short to get upset over things or people that have no real bearing on us.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
life is too short and too long to hold a grudge

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"