Hard boiled eggs.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 07:01 AM
RE: Hard boiled eggs.
I love and omelet, deviled eggs, and egg sandwich. Some in Cajon country like boiled eggs with crawfish and gumbo; it's o

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 07:04 AM
(21-02-2014 02:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Love me some hard boiled eggs. I haven't experimented much, but I have found a method I like.

Room temp eggs, at least 4-5 days old. Put them in a pot with water and turn on the heat. As soon as they reach a boil, cover them, turn off the heat and let them sit for a minute. After a minute take them off the burner and let them set for ten minutes covered. After ten minutes is up rinse them repeatedly under the tap to cool off.

The yolk is never grey or overdone, always almost creamy. The only thing is that sometimes they're hard to peel, I haven't figured that part out yet.

I know it sounds strange, but I eat my hard boiled eggs with peanut butter and a dash of Tony Chachere's. Don't knock it til you've tried it motherfucker! Dodgy

Any other good methods for great eggs?

They would be hard to peel because you aren't doing the "cooling off" correctly. When the eggs are very hot still, put them in very cold water, I put them in a pot of ice cold water and replace the water for a while as it warms up. You can also use running cold water, but make sure all of the eggs get cooled off very fast on all sides.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-02-2014, 07:56 AM
(21-02-2014 07:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 02:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Love me some hard boiled eggs. I haven't experimented much, but I have found a method I like.

Room temp eggs, at least 4-5 days old. Put them in a pot with water and turn on the heat. As soon as they reach a boil, cover them, turn off the heat and let them sit for a minute. After a minute take them off the burner and let them set for ten minutes covered. After ten minutes is up rinse them repeatedly under the tap to cool off.

The yolk is never grey or overdone, always almost creamy. The only thing is that sometimes they're hard to peel, I haven't figured that part out yet.

I know it sounds strange, but I eat my hard boiled eggs with peanut butter and a dash of Tony Chachere's. Don't knock it til you've tried it motherfucker! Dodgy

Any other good methods for great eggs?

They would be hard to peel because you aren't doing the "cooling off" correctly. When the eggs are very hot still, put them in very cold water, I put them in a pot of ice cold water and replace the water for a while as it warms up. You can also use running cold water, but make sure all of the eggs get cooled off very fast on all sides.

I think I've heard that before . It's hit and miss whether they peel easy or not. I just haven't unlocked the secret yet.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
21-02-2014, 08:14 AM
(21-02-2014 07:56 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 07:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  They would be hard to peel because you aren't doing the "cooling off" correctly. When the eggs are very hot still, put them in very cold water, I put them in a pot of ice cold water and replace the water for a while as it warms up. You can also use running cold water, but make sure all of the eggs get cooled off very fast on all sides.

I think I've heard that before . It's hit and miss whether they peel easy or not. I just haven't unlocked the secret yet.

That is the secret. You have to shock the eggs from hot to cold. My guess is that you let them cool down too much in water before you shock them.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Right on. Then peanut butter! Yes

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
21-02-2014, 08:59 AM
I worked with a guy who had hard boiled eggs everyday in his packup. He used to peel the skin off and just chuck it on the floor of the cab of our works lorry. He only did it because it used to piss off our driver who was OCD over cleanliness lol.

Have you tried Eggy bread??? Whisk some eggs up and soak bread in them (normally it takes one egg per piece of bread) for about one minute each side. Then fry the bread.

Then you can spread peanut butter on it Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
21-02-2014, 09:09 AM
(21-02-2014 08:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  Have you tried Eggy bread??? Whisk some eggs up and soak bread in them (normally it takes one egg per piece of bread) for about one minute each side. Then fry the bread.

That's called French Toast this side of the pond. I have it often, with butter a maple syrup, and a side of bacon.

Quote:Then you can spread peanut butter on it Tongue

I suppose it's good with PB. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-02-2014, 10:35 AM
French Toast is a staple around here. Try it with some applesauce. (Chas, I'm sure you have some kicking around somewhere Wink )

If you find your eggs sticking to the shell when you peel them, try leaving them out a little longer before cooking them (a couple days should do the trick). After they sit at room temp for a while, the moisture in the egg starts to slowly evaporate through the porous shell. This effectively shrinks the egg, and causes it to pull away from the shell.

If you must use very fresh eggs, pierce the top of each egg with a thumbtack before boiling.

With all eggs, fresh or aged, follow Doms finishing instructions. The sudden change from hot to cold not only causes the shell to loosen, but also keeps your egg in tact, and stops it from cooking (which causes that grey layer around the tolk in overlooked eggs)

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
21-02-2014, 10:53 AM
(21-02-2014 10:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  (which causes that grey layer around the tolk in overlooked eggs)

"Tolk" in "overlooked" eggs Huh ...LOL

Nice crack at Chas about "applesauce" , did you figure he had some because he gums his food ? Gasp

Anyway, how long should the eggs boil to make em hard and should they be dropped into the boiling water or before it boils ?

Not kidding guys, I've made eggs every way possible...... except hard boiled Blush , and I'd like to try and make some egg salad.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
21-02-2014, 10:57 AM
(21-02-2014 10:53 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 10:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  (which causes that grey layer around the tolk in overlooked eggs)

"Tolk" in "overlooked" eggs Huh ...LOL

Nice crack at Chas about "applesauce" , did you figure he had some because he gums his food ? Gasp

Anyway, how long should the eggs boil to make em hard and should they be dropped into the boiling water or before it boils ?

Not kidding guys, I've made eggs every way possible...... except hard boiled Blush , and I'd like to try and make some egg salad.

Try my method, but take the others' advice and let them sit out for a while first.