Hard boiled eggs.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Hard boiled eggs.
Best to let the eggs warm with the water. Dropping them in water that's already boiling can crack them. Start timing after they start to boil. 10 minutes should do, depending on your elevation. If the Yolks have a bit of grey around them, cook a little less next time (but don't worry. The grey stuff is tasteless and harmless. It just doesn't look as nice, and means the yolk may be a bit dry.)

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
21-02-2014, 11:19 AM
(21-02-2014 10:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If you find your eggs sticking to the shell when you peel them, try leaving them out a little longer before cooking them (a couple days should do the trick). After they sit at room temp for a while, the moisture in the egg starts to slowly evaporate through the porous shell. This effectively shrinks the egg, and causes it to pull away from the shell.

Usually I don't have a problem, but I think I figured it out. Most of my eggs come from a gal who raises chickens on her "farm", so they're always free range, organic, whatever, and haven't been sitting in a fridge for days. Being that it's winter, the hens haven't been laying near as much, so I've used store bought. I'll take you's guys advice and we'll see what happens. Thanks to all!

(She's got a couple of ducks and throws a couple of their eggs in each dozen usually. Big yolks! She claims they're great for baking, but I'm not a big baker so I haven't been able to try them out there, but they still taste great.)

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
21-02-2014, 11:21 AM
(21-02-2014 11:16 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Best to let the eggs warm with the water. Dropping them in water that's already boiling can crack them. Start timing after they start to boil. 10 minutes should do, depending on your elevation. If the Yolks have a bit of grey around them, cook a little less next time (but don't worry. The grey stuff is tasteless and harmless. It just doesn't look as nice, and means the yolk may be a bit dry.)

I've found my method to work great, after they start to boil cover the pot and take them off the heat for ten minutes. Then give the shock treatment. No grey, just creamy yolks.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I never would have tried for 10 minutes after boiling.

I got so used to doing eggs in a frying pan that, that much time wouldnt have occured to me.

Cool, now I gotta try and make some egg salad and deviled eggs too. Woo-Hoo, another huge mess to clean up Big Grin

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
21-02-2014, 12:07 PM
(21-02-2014 02:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Love me some hard boiled eggs. I haven't experimented much, but I have found a method I like.

Room temp eggs, at least 4-5 days old. Put them in a pot with water and turn on the heat. As soon as they reach a boil, cover them, turn off the heat and let them sit for a minute. After a minute take them off the burner and let them set for ten minutes covered. After ten minutes is up rinse them repeatedly under the tap to cool off.

The yolk is never grey or overdone, always almost creamy. The only thing is that sometimes they're hard to peel, I haven't figured that part out yet.

I know it sounds strange, but I eat my hard boiled eggs with peanut butter and a dash of Tony Chachere's. Don't knock it til you've tried it motherfucker! Dodgy

Any other good methods for great eggs?

I hate that green ring...bleh I make deviled eggs for hubby once in awhile - he loves them and I hate it when the yolks are green...unless it's halloween.

it's amazing how many different "recipes" or suggestions there are for hard-boiled eggs! This is the method I use most often. What I do is move the pot to the sink after the 10 minutes and run cold water into the pot allowing it to overflow and for around 1-2 minutes. Older eggs peel easier than fresher ones...

I should also say it depends on the size of the egg. Medium eggs won't take as long, Jumbo or extra large eggs might take a bit longer.

Also, just a cooking thing....but did you know that all older recipes from the early 80s and before that were geared toward medium eggs? Today recipes in the US are geared toward large eggs.

It explained why my great-grandma's cake never came out the way she made it. I was using too many eggs.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

21-02-2014, 12:07 PM
(21-02-2014 11:16 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Best to let the eggs warm with the water. Dropping them in water that's already boiling can crack them. Start timing after they start to boil. 10 minutes should do, depending on your elevation. If the Yolks have a bit of grey around them, cook a little less next time (but don't worry. The grey stuff is tasteless and harmless. It just doesn't look as nice, and means the yolk may be a bit dry.)

You can prevent them from cracking by poking a hole in the big end (where the air bubble is) with a needle. Just through the shell into the bubble. Lower into the water slowly and gently.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-02-2014, 12:09 PM
(21-02-2014 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 02:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Love me some hard boiled eggs. I haven't experimented much, but I have found a method I like.

Room temp eggs, at least 4-5 days old. Put them in a pot with water and turn on the heat. As soon as they reach a boil, cover them, turn off the heat and let them sit for a minute. After a minute take them off the burner and let them set for ten minutes covered. After ten minutes is up rinse them repeatedly under the tap to cool off.

The yolk is never grey or overdone, always almost creamy. The only thing is that sometimes they're hard to peel, I haven't figured that part out yet.

I know it sounds strange, but I eat my hard boiled eggs with peanut butter and a dash of Tony Chachere's. Don't knock it til you've tried it motherfucker! Dodgy

Any other good methods for great eggs?

I hate that green ring...bleh I make deviled eggs for hubby once in awhile - he loves them and I hate it when the yolks are green...unless it's halloween.

it's amazing how many different "recipes" or suggestions there are for hard-boiled eggs! This is the method I use most often. What I do is move the pot to the sink after the 10 minutes and run cold water into the pot allowing it to overflow and for around 1-2 minutes. Older eggs peel easier than fresher ones...

I should also say it depends on the size of the egg. Medium eggs won't take as long, Jumbo or extra large eggs might take a bit longer.

Also, just a cooking thing....but did you know that all older recipes from the early 80s and before that were geared toward medium eggs? Today recipes in the US are geared toward large eggs.

It explained why my great-grandma's cake never came out the way she made it. I was using too many eggs.

How long they take also depends on your elevation. Whether you are on a mountain or on a beach can make quite a difference.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-02-2014, 12:14 PM
(21-02-2014 12:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I hate that green ring...bleh I make deviled eggs for hubby once in awhile - he loves them and I hate it when the yolks are green...unless it's halloween.

How long they take also depends on your elevation. Whether you are on a mountain or on a beach can make quite a difference.

That's an eggcellent point (get it? I kill me). I've always been at or around sea level, so I tend to forget about that. But you're totally right about that.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hard boiled eggs. Adrianime 19 158 Yesterday 07:14 PM
Last Post: Dom
  Scrambled eggs namiloveyou 30 1,247 17-08-2013 04:53 PM
Last Post: BrokenQuill92