Hard hitting question from a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 06:59 PM
RE: Hard hitting question from a theist.
(27-02-2014 05:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Question i saw today:

If the bible was written by man and not god, why are four of the Ten Commandments about god and rules about him?

I don't know how to answer that, not cos it's a good question... I'm just too aghast!

I bet they were actually proud of that question too.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Hobo

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
27-02-2014, 07:01 PM
While I agree that the commandments aren't good examples, the person mentioned by OP was onto something.

If the Bible is just the creation of men, then...
Why circumcision?
Why a prohibition from banging your wife for a week after her period?
Why give everyone, including slaves and animals, every seventh day off?
Why prohibit farming every seventh year?
Why the death penalty for gathering wood on the Sabbath?
27-02-2014, 07:06 PM
(27-02-2014 07:01 PM)alpha male Wrote:  While I agree that the commandments aren't good examples, the person mentioned by OP was onto something.

Why circumcision?

Why any silly rule in any silly religion ever? Because people are naturally superstitious as hell. Any time something bad happened, it had to be attributed to the work of a god, doesn't matter how arbitrary these things were if it meant that the crops would come in. Any time misfortune came about, people looked to what was happening at the time and figured it must have meant that their god looked unfavorably on such things. Bam, rules made.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
27-02-2014, 07:10 PM
(27-02-2014 05:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Question i saw today:

If the bible was written by man and not god, why are four of the Ten Commandments about god and rules about him?

I don't know how to answer that, not cos it's a good question... I'm just too aghast!

Then you can asked them:

"If the bible was written by god and not man, why are the four commandments about him written in the voice of a jealous child?"

The point being that an omnipotent god wouldn't need such negative human emotions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
27-02-2014, 07:28 PM
(27-02-2014 07:01 PM)alpha male Wrote:  While I agree that the commandments aren't good examples, the person mentioned by OP was onto something.

Why circumcision?

Why the arcane rules in some sports, or any other millions of weird ass memes and cultural traditions.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
27-02-2014, 07:43 PM

Why circumcision?

What is more likely that a religion incorporated all the existing cultural taboos and traditions or an all powerful creator of the entire universe dislikes the fact that he put extra skin on a penis? Everything existed in the culture before the cult of Yahweh took power, except the prohibition on pork. We know this because it is how we can tell the early canaanite sites from the later hebrew ones, no pig bones.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Think of religion as a non-physical organism that, like all organisms, wishes to live in order to prosper and duplicate by infecting the minds of other physical organisms such as we humans.

This organism will do anything to stay alive, it will even tell it's predators that their end is inescapable in order to wrongfully intimidate them into submissiveness. And, along with this, it will tell others that there is no way in hell that you can defy it's presence, which is one of the many tricks that the series of books contains.

It truly is a parasite of the mind, and once you've caught it, it's very hard to find a cure.
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
27-02-2014, 07:54 PM
The thing that gets me is: why are any of these "modern Christians" worried about the ten commandments in the first place? According to their own beliefs, the commandments were God's first covenant with man, which was then discarded for the second covenant, being Jesus. So, if the first covenant is null and void, why even base your views on it? I don't harass my black neighbors simply because my country USED to allow slavery. And before anybody flames me for drawing a link between the commandments and racial legislation, remember that, to a lot of Christians, this book is LAW.
27-02-2014, 07:58 PM
(27-02-2014 07:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What is more likely that a religion incorporated all the existing cultural taboos and traditions or an all powerful creator of the entire universe dislikes the fact that he put extra skin on a penis? Everything existed in the culture before the cult of Yahweh took power, except the prohibition on pork. We know this because it is how we can tell the early canaanite sites from the later hebrew ones, no pig bones.

wasn't the whole "don't eat pork" thing just to keep people from getting trichinosis?