Hard hitting question from a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 11:29 PM
RE: Hard hitting question from a theist.
(27-02-2014 05:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Question i saw today:

If the bible was written by man and not god, why are four of the Ten Commandments about god and rules about him?

I don't know how to answer that, not cos it's a good question... I'm just too aghast!

So does he think that everything which is written about god is written by god?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
27-02-2014, 11:33 PM
(27-02-2014 09:40 PM)retroviral Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 09:10 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Just how is that question in any way, shape, or form "hard-hitting"...?

Same way Fox News is "fair and balanced". Sarcasm...

LOL Okay...I guess....welcome to the forum, BTW...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
27-02-2014, 11:53 PM

If the bible was written by man and not god, why are four of the Ten Commandments about god and rules about him?

I don't know how to answer that, not cos it's a good question... I'm just too aghast!

- keep holy the sabbath, aka, come to temple and bring your sacrifices
- have no other gods before me, aka, no, bring your sacrifices to *this* temple, not *that* one
- lords name in vain, aka, careful what you say!...best come to temple and bring sacrifices so we can explain it better
- idols..., aka, no, you *must* come to temple and bring sacrifices, you can't do this shit on your own at home

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
28-02-2014, 02:33 AM
Yea of course it's sarcasm lol. It's a ridiculous question. But the stupidity of it had me reeling and I couldn't form a response.
28-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Re: Hard hitting question from a theist.
As the great Napoleon supposedly said, in some manner.

Religion is a great tool for controlling the masses.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-02-2014, 06:14 AM
(28-02-2014 06:06 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  As the great Napoleon supposedly said, in some manner.

Religion is a great tool for controlling the masses.

Karl Marx: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

Napoleon: "Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
28-02-2014, 06:41 AM
(27-02-2014 08:56 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 07:01 PM)alpha male Wrote:  While I agree that the commandments aren't good examples, the person mentioned by OP was onto something.

If the Bible is just the creation of men, then...
Why circumcision?
Why a prohibition from banging your wife for a week after her period?
Why give everyone, including slaves and animals, every seventh day off?
Why prohibit farming every seventh year?
Why the death penalty for gathering wood on the Sabbath?

If the Bible is inspired by God why all those things? They all seem ridiculously random even factoring in a deity.

So far as I can figure, Alpha's argument is "Guys, you can tell the Bible was made by God because it makes no sense!".

I certainly agree with half of that assessment. Another possible conclusion you could arrive to along those lines is "the Bible was written by crazy people". I mean, we have actual evidence that crazy people actually exist, so, Occam's Razor and all...
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
28-02-2014, 06:46 AM
(28-02-2014 06:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 08:56 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  If the Bible is inspired by God why all those things? They all seem ridiculously random even factoring in a deity.

So far as I can figure, Alpha's argument is "Guys, you can tell the Bible was made by God because it makes no sense!".

I certainly agree with half of that assessment. Another possible conclusion you could arrive to along those lines is "the Bible was written by crazy people". I mean, we have actual evidence that crazy people actually exist, so, Occam's Razor and all...
But hey at least we should rejoice the christianity is not as bad as it could have been Wink
28-02-2014, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 07:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)

There are 628 legal injunctions. Many of them result in death if broken. Many of them have to do with unclean food and menstruating women, and men's weenies.
The Babble was written by a woman on the rag who needed a shower, who hated her pet pig, who was obsessed with men who had circumcised dicks.

Dummy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm a Christian and I don't get the question.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post