Hard hitting question from a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 12:32 PM
RE: Hard hitting question from a theist.
(27-02-2014 08:56 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  If the Bible is inspired by God why all those things? They all seem ridiculously random even factoring in a deity.
Note the stated purpose of the law:
Ex 19
5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

That's the KJV. Young's Literal also says "peculiar," while others say "special" or something similar. Part of the purpose of the law was to make Israel different from other people. Obviously a law which is pretty much like all the others won't make them different. It needed to contain provisions which seem strange to outsiders. An entire nation shutting down every seventh day was a very public display of difference. The law also promoted this separateness by discouraging frivolous conversions. You're not going to join a religion which requires circumcision unless you're pretty serious about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 01:05 PM
(27-02-2014 05:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Question i saw today:

If the bible was written by man and not god, why are four of the Ten Commandments about god and rules about him?

I don't know how to answer that, not cos it's a good question... I'm just too aghast!
It's funny how people think about things from completely opposite perspectives. In my mind, if a god had written the bible, the ten commandments would have been more concerned with true morality instead of devoting 40% to the self-centered "bow down before me and nobody but me and make sure you give me plenty of attention because I'm an attention whore" crap. So those four commandments strike me as evidence that humans, not a god, wrote it.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
28-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Circular checkmate athiests!
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
28-02-2014, 02:44 PM

If the bible was written by man and not god, why are four of the Ten Commandments about god and rules about him?

I don't know how to answer that, not cos it's a good question... I'm just too aghast!

Sometimes the best response is to burst out in gales of hysterical laughter.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
28-02-2014, 03:05 PM

If my "Dogs Encyclopedia" is written by man and not by dogs why the whole book is about dogs?

Consider

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
28-02-2014, 03:22 PM

So to turn this question into a statement. 'God exits and wrote the bible because four of the Ten Commandments are about him'. If this is the criteria for god's existence then there must be many gods that exist because numerous religions have rules about their god and how to worship that god.

Dumb, dumb de-dumb. Facepalm

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
28-02-2014, 04:03 PM

Fucking simpleton. He deserves to live his life in slavery under his made up god. Fuck him and laugh.

[Image: geoImcXGIQOmfb0Jil2zp_6od392QbLCXCF9r49S...boA1w=w300]
[+] 1 user Likes TheWordsoftheBeast's post
28-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Why so many commandments about God?

Because it provides job security for the rabbis.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 08:45 AM
"Hard hitting...."

Seems you left out the "S"...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post