Harmless Eccentricity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 01:54 PM
RE: Harmless Eccentricity?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 02:22 PM
(18-12-2014 11:11 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  Gordon,

Of that 80% (which is questionable to begin with), how many profess beliefs that are genuine and how many profess beliefs for other reasons, such as the mistaken belief that the benefits of teaching children to believe makes them behave more morally? Or those that profess to believe because that it is a very good way to increase your influence and/or bank account? Or those (children) that profess belief in order to avoid punishment from their families. Or those whose profession of belief is simply traditional and they don't want to rock the boat. Those that truly believe, I would venture, is far less than that statistic suggests.

I know you were responding to another but I would really say 100% of people believe at some level but are more or less devout or in denial.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
07-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Smile RE: Harmless Eccentricity?
Quote:I know you were responding to another but I would really say 100% of people believe at some level but are more or less devout or in denial.

False!
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2015, 03:01 PM
(07-01-2015 02:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 11:11 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  Gordon,

Of that 80% (which is questionable to begin with), how many profess beliefs that are genuine and how many profess beliefs for other reasons, such as the mistaken belief that the benefits of teaching children to believe makes them behave more morally? Or those that profess to believe because that it is a very good way to increase your influence and/or bank account? Or those (children) that profess belief in order to avoid punishment from their families. Or those whose profession of belief is simply traditional and they don't want to rock the boat. Those that truly believe, I would venture, is far less than that statistic suggests.

I know you were responding to another but I would really say 100% of people believe at some level but are more or less devout or in denial.

I believe you're Qlueless.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-01-2015, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 04:23 PM by devilsadvoc8.)
Gordon, I have a protip for you. Read your posts before you hit "Post Reply". Maybe upon a second read you might remove statements that make you look like an utter clown. If you removed such dumbass remarks like "Gravity and sunlight also cause sever damage to societies", we might (I can't promise anything) be able to focus on your other points.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
08-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Hi,

I know its an unpopular statement among atheists to talk about denial of godhood but all theists would say denial by the nature of their being theists. They would say the majority are correct in this particular case.