Harry Potter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Harry Potter
Bet you read the title and assumed I was actually going to talk about how great or how awful Harry Potter is. But I'm not.
I was talking to my "wife" earlier this morning and mentioned that her mom was getting into Harry Potter. I said... OK. She said that it was crazy because she hadn't been allowed to read or watch anything having to do with similar subject matter as a kid, and her parents were both very against Harry and his cohorts when the books had first reached popular status.
This ideology isn't new to me, that fundamentals are against Harry and I even understand why. Wizards are evil. Plain and simple.
This however made me burst into a fit of laughter as I know both of these people fairly well.
Her mom is religious in my opinion only because she is in a loveless marriage with a man who is very devout and she daily, attempts to show interest in anything he has previously shown interest. I can prove this if you are curious, but PM me I don't want to write forever right now. I also believe she has used the sense of community religion gives as a way to fill several holes in her own life. So to see her go back on something she said about Mr. Potter doesn't surprise me.
Her father not letting her watch certain programs or read certain books doesn't surprise me at all, however I want to call him out on this (can't though, currently live with them Sad) as he is a hypocrite of insane proportions.
I also believe him to be homosexual (don't mean anything negative about this I just think he is, and I think it tortures him. His own wife and daughters have said the very same thing oddly enough.)
However in this instance he is a hypocrite because he forbade Harry, yet he watches Lord of The Rings... Star Trek... Star Wars... ETC. All films and television that feature heritical beliefs prominantly. Lord had Sauron, sauromon, gandalf for christ sakes. All in the magic club. Star Trek had Q and many more. Star Wars had all those evil sith lords using what can only be described s magic, as well as the jedi (magic again) and one of the sith even looks like the devil.
[Image: Maulsnarl.jpg]
Ugh I don't know why I wrote all this, I think I just wanted to vent.
Why can't people just dislike Harry Potter because it's mediocre? I like them all right (not the movies though) but I see them for what they are. I also find it reprehensible to deny your child knowledge of any sort, to keep them from reading is ridiculous. Have you read the bible? It's brutal, if it was the only fiction I could ever read I would burn out my own eyes to spare them.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2011, 04:26 PM
RE: Harry Potter
My wife's mother and father forbade them to watch or read anything like that (anything magical). And then come to find out they used to play D&D. The hypocrisy burns.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
24-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Yep, it's just more of the old pick and choose with these people. I like Lord of the Rings so that`s ok, but harry potter ain`t my cup of tea so he`s a devil worshipper. Love it. It`s great.... [Image: TR-3114.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
25-07-2011, 10:40 AM
What about Life of Brian? Guess not... that movie makes some astute observations about Christianity and Judaism.

Harry Potter doesn't. No devil, no worship, no harm. It's just kid lit, fcs! Not particularly riveting for an adult: i read one book and watched the first 20 minutes of one movie, and knew everything there is to know about it. But children like it, as the slightly older ones like all that vampire crap. So what? It's the exact same desire for magic, for something beyond the mundane, that drives a lot of adolescents to religion. With luck, and a wide choice of reading material, they'll outgrow both.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
25-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I enjoyed the Harry Potter series for what it was...entertainment. Were they the best books/movies I have ever experienced? No. Were they the best storyline? No. But they were entertaining and a good way to relax and enjoy a good story with well developed characters. I do think that is one thing that J.K. Rowling did well. She had good characters that continued to build for all 7 books (the movies too but they left a lot out so it is not as good) and I enjoyed that.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
25-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Ah the memories, I was one of the Potter Generation kids, ol' Harry and I grew up together. I remember I was once at my grandma's church, I was about 12 years old and I had read all three of the available Harry Potter books. The pastor was preaching about Harry Potter being evil today and I was very upset, I remember going up to him as soon as service was over and YELLING at him! My grandparents thought I lost my mind, but then again, you don't call a 12 year old's hero evil without expecting them to be pissed.

The pastor was freaked out that I loved to read Harry Potter (I'm sure I was already on his watch list for arguing with the Sunday school teacher about evolution). My grandparents assured him that Harry Potter was not evil, and perfectly okay with kids... he kinda eyed them and shrugged his shoulders.

I never trusted the pastor after that... Harry Potter is in some ways, responsible for turning me into an atheist, but only because of the damn idiocy of Baptists.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes monkeyshine89's post
25-07-2011, 11:22 PM
My mom wouldn't let me read Harry Potter either. She read the first book and said "well, it is well written, but that's just to make kids think that all the wizardry stuff is ok", so basically since it's good, it's worse for kids because I dunno, people assume kids are too stupid to tell fantasy from reality?

Then I had to read the third book for a class last semester (I needed a reading course basically, it was an awesome class: Fantasy lit written by women, I read several really good books), really, I feel like the witchcraft and wizardry is more of a backdrop then the purpose of the book per se. A very well made world that is awesome, but thinking the books are actually teaching kids wizardry is like saying GTA teaches you how to literally steal a car, pick up hookers, and shoot a gun (wait, some people seem to think that too, lol)

And you want magic and fantasy? What do you call a book that mentions unicorns and the dead coming back to life?

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
26-07-2011, 07:24 AM
So, the father from the first post, he thinks that Harry Potter is evil atheist, but he watches Star Trek? The most atheistic show ever shown on television? That guys picture should stay in the dictionary right next to HYPOCRITE word.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
26-07-2011, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2011 08:09 AM by Peterkin.)
All children's fiction - at least the stuff they actually read - is about magic. Talking bunnies, some big-headed girl with a monkey, sleeping princesses... So is the illustrated children's bible all about magic.

Children have no power to affect their environment or the circumstances of their own lives. They need fantasy.

So, what about the densely-printed adults' bible? Miracles. The Efficacy of Prayer. Do religious adults not see that what they want from their God is the bending of natural laws; making them an exception; giving them power no other animal (and hopefully, no rival human) has?

Maybe they just want to keep it all to themselves, control all the magic there is; not give any to the kids?

(PS Filox? What do you do with the potted petunias and bewildered whales?)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
26-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Yes all very true. It all seems to go back to the religious persons ability to accept one delusion but deny any others without ever questioning why.
I call it selective insanity. I mean how can a person see Sauron as acceptable reading material for a child but Voldemort not? The two stories have shit tonnes of parables.
It is lunacy.
Sort of falls under the same ideology that seems to miss the point of FSM.