Harry Potter and Jesus freaks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 02:17 AM
RE: Harry Potter and Jesus freaks
My wife worked in a Christian school library for a while where they had only just relented to allow "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" into the collection. It contains a witch. Right there in the title. It might give children ideas.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2014 09:11 AM by Chas.)
(12-01-2014 11:53 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Chas, really? Harry Potter ripped off LOTR with so many themes and characters it's laughable.

Just to name a few, and this isn't a comprehensive list. It's like comparing Jesus to Krishna.

http://www.mugglenet.com/hpvslotr.shtml

Most of the things on that list are trivial, a stretch, or common to any mythic story.

It looks like a conspiracy theory to me - not credible, and silly 'evidence'.

I had read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings many times before the Harry Potter books came out.
When I read the HP books, I see no rip-off. The HP books are full of very original ideas set in a heroic tale context.

So, no, I reject your claim.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-01-2014, 09:05 AM
(13-01-2014 02:17 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  My wife worked in a Christian school library for a while where they had only just relented to allow "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" into the collection. It contains a witch. Right there in the title. It might give children ideas.

Yabut, it's written by a Christian apologist and has Christian themes. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-01-2014, 09:45 AM
(13-01-2014 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 11:53 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Chas, really? Harry Potter ripped off LOTR with so many themes and characters it's laughable.

Just to name a few, and this isn't a comprehensive list. It's like comparing Jesus to Krishna.

http://www.mugglenet.com/hpvslotr.shtml

Most of the things on that list are trivial, a stretch, or common to any mythic story.

I had read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings many times before the Harry Potter books came out.
When I read the HP books, I see no rip-off. The HP books are full of very original ideas set in a heroic tale context.

Ugh. J.K. Rowling succeeded because she stood on the shoulders of a giant. Sorry, I'm not buying the "common to mythic" argument, there are too many very specific characters and ideas that are unique to these two stories. But I don't want to hijack this thread, I was merely making a funny comment.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
13-01-2014, 10:25 AM
(12-01-2014 09:42 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  remind me what the theist problems are with HP

....................... witches ..............................................................

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-01-2014, 11:05 AM
(13-01-2014 09:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 02:17 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  My wife worked in a Christian school library for a while where they had only just relented to allow "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" into the collection. It contains a witch. Right there in the title. It might give children ideas.
Yabut, it's written by a Christian apologist and has Christian themes. Yes

You know that and I know that and they know that... but that's the level of paranoia we're talking about here.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Same shit, different theme for those whack jobs.

It was D&D when I was growing up, and they said all the same BS back then too.
And, obviously they're full of it since all this time later I have yet to successfully cast a 'fireball' or 'detect magic' spell....

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
13-01-2014, 12:15 PM
(13-01-2014 09:45 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Most of the things on that list are trivial, a stretch, or common to any mythic story.

Ugh. J.K. Rowling succeeded because she stood on the shoulders of a giant. Sorry, I'm not buying the "common to mythic" argument, there are too many very specific characters and ideas that are unique to these two stories. But I don't want to hijack this thread, I was merely making a funny comment.

I have read the Hobbit and LOTR and all of the Potter books, and I can say unequivocably that you don't know what you are talking about.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
13-01-2014, 12:21 PM
(12-01-2014 03:40 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 02:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Yeah. I remember my very short stint in a baptist church, they had problems with my Tolkien stuff.

Absolutely ridiculous. My addiction is totally understandable and normal.

I always found that funny as Tolkien was a devout Catholic.

Funny, and I have seen it quoted that Tolkein told some clergyman that LOTR was "fundamentally religious and Catholic".

I didn't see anything religious, and especially "catholic"-religious about it.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
13-01-2014, 12:23 PM
(13-01-2014 12:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 03:40 PM)Crulax Wrote:  I always found that funny as Tolkien was a devout Catholic.

Funny, and I have seen it quoted that Tolkein told some clergyman that LOTR was "fundamentally religious and Catholic".

I didn't see anything religious, and especially "catholic"-religious about it.

Read the Silmarillion, it is very catholic.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense