Harry Potter and Jesus freaks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: Harry Potter and Jesus freaks
(13-01-2014 12:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Funny, and I have seen it quoted that Tolkein told some clergyman that LOTR was "fundamentally religious and Catholic".

I didn't see anything religious, and especially "catholic"-religious about it.

Read the Silmarillion, it is very catholic.

Thank you, but I am not into self-torture. Big Grin

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 12:36 PM
(13-01-2014 12:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Read the Silmarillion, it is very catholic.

Thank you, but I am not into self-torture. Big Grin

It is the backstory for everything in Tolkien's universe it explains the origins of all the races and how the Rings were forged. It's a good read but it has a heavy catholic overlay.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-01-2014, 01:46 PM
(13-01-2014 12:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Thank you, but I am not into self-torture. Big Grin

It is the backstory for everything in Tolkien's universe it explains the origins of all the races and how the Rings were forged. It's a good read but it has a heavy catholic overlay.

Thanks.

Didn't he write it some time after LOTR, though? Revisionism, perhaps? Because LOTR/H just doesn't scream YOU NEED A SAVIOUR AND ITS JEEBUS THROUGH MARY THROUGH THE POOP OR WE'LL SET YOUR ASS ON FIRE to me.

13-01-2014, 01:54 PM
(13-01-2014 01:46 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is the backstory for everything in Tolkien's universe it explains the origins of all the races and how the Rings were forged. It's a good read but it has a heavy catholic overlay.

Thanks.

Didn't he write it some time after LOTR, though? Revisionism, perhaps? Because LOTR/H just doesn't scream YOU NEED A SAVIOUR AND ITS JEEBUS THROUGH MARY THROUGH THE POOP OR WE'LL SET YOUR ASS ON FIRE to me.

No the Silmarillion was written all throughout his life, which is why LotR uses it's mythos. It does not deal with Jesus or Mary more with the fall of man and a paradise set aside. It's well worth reading if you enjoyed LotR's.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Misery loves company.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2014, 03:37 PM
(13-01-2014 01:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 01:46 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Thanks.

No the Silmarillion was written all throughout his life, which is why LotR uses it's mythos. It does not deal with Jesus or Mary more with the fall of man and a paradise set aside. It's well worth reading if you enjoyed LotR's.

Is it written in the same "faux-biblical" style that LOTR was (and The Hobbit wasn't)? Because I found that quite tedious and affectatious.

13-01-2014, 03:49 PM
(13-01-2014 03:37 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 01:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No the Silmarillion was written all throughout his life, which is why LotR uses it's mythos. It does not deal with Jesus or Mary more with the fall of man and a paradise set aside. It's well worth reading if you enjoyed LotR's.

Is it written in the same "faux-biblical" style that LOTR was (and The Hobbit wasn't)? Because I found that quite tedious and affectatious.

Oh no this one is written in high prose. If you had problems with LotR then you will not enjoy the Silmarillion.

13-01-2014, 04:05 PM
(13-01-2014 03:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 03:37 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Is it written in the same "faux-biblical" style that LOTR was (and The Hobbit wasn't)? Because I found that quite tedious and affectatious.

Oh no this one is written in high prose. If you had problems with LotR then you will not enjoy the Silmarillion.

Well, I didn't have problems reading it (is that what you meant?), I just thought found it affectatious and pretentious.

13-01-2014, 04:15 PM
(13-01-2014 04:05 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 03:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Oh no this one is written in high prose. If you had problems with LotR then you will not enjoy the Silmarillion.

Well, I didn't have problems reading it (is that what you meant?), I just thought found it affectatious and pretentious.

13-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Ugh. Dull as fucking ditchwater.