Harry Potter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2011, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2011 11:18 AM by myst32.)
RE: Harry Potter
(24-07-2011 01:23 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I also find it reprehensible to deny your child knowledge of any sort, to keep them from reading is ridiculous.

Once, while shopping at a book store, a child (age about 8) walked by and grabbed a book off a kiosk for The Golden Compass and began to page through. Suddenly I saw a woman break into a sprint... run up to the child and slap the book out of the child's hands. The child looked up with a surprised look as the parent grabbed her by the arm and began pulling her away saying "You are to never read those books". The child, still in shock asked, "why?". The mother then replied that someone had told her they were bad.

Reprimanding a child for reading a book that the parent knows nothing about because they are told not to read it by others is beyond reprehensible. The idea that any movie or entertainment book would destroy someones "faith" is a tacit admission that ones faith is easily swayed.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like myst32's post
26-07-2011, 11:39 AM
This gets sillier and sillier. What about CS Lewis, then? How are his (very Christian) fantasy stories different from Pullman's? They all bolster the same principles and morality.
Half the time, or more, the parents have only the vaguest idea what they're forbidding and why: they accept an unknown third person's opinion as fact.
On the upside, that mother's ignorant overreaction will probably drive the child to a library, to find out what all the fuss is about.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
26-07-2011, 02:36 PM
(26-07-2011 11:39 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  This gets sillier and sillier. What about CS Lewis, then? How are his (very Christian) fantasy stories different from Pullman's? They all bolster the same principles and morality.

It's all pretty simple... It's not about the stories... it's about the authors..

CS Lewis lost his faith... but then returned to it due to the influence of J. R. R. Tolkien who was very religious. Both were good friends at Oxford University. Lewis wrote extensively on Christian apologetics.

Pullman is an outspoken atheist. If he wrote a cook book it would probably get banned. Even if his filet mignon was the best!!

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
27-07-2011, 07:12 AM
@ Peterkin

I water my petunias and I take my whales for a swim from time to time. Unfortunately, they both look at me very strange every day when I get near them... If only I could know what they are thinking. Maybe I'll throw them out of my window when I get bored with them.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-07-2011, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 07:21 AM by Peterkin.)
Oh. Well, now it makes sense. As long as we don't know what they actually said or wrote, we can be sure atheists are immoral.

(@ Filox Big Grin Sure, and a sofa will land on someone's head.... Were those not just the best books? Okay, second best, after Pratchett's Small Gods. And the Christian kids aren't allowed to read either, nor Gaimen, i assume. What a poor, bleak intellectual life they have!)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
27-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Funny enough, I believe Rowling is a Christian of some sort, and it's very obvious if you read Harry Potter...

He's the 'chosen one' is tempted by the dark side, and he must sacrifice himself out of love to protect the world...

hmm...

Anyways, personally I think Harry Potter is a great book for kids because it teaches morality without getting obnoxiously preachy. My mother and I would have complex discussions about morality and we would often use Harry Potter and his friends as examples.

I always give Harry Potter to kids for their birthday (with parent's permission of course). What a great way to get kids into reading!

I even have a pristine set of books I purchased a few years ago that I plan to give to my children when they are old enough. I feel that Harry Potter is a secular Narnia.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
27-07-2011, 09:28 AM
(27-07-2011 08:02 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  Funny enough, I believe Rowling is a Christian of some sort, and it's very obvious if you read Harry Potter...

He's the 'chosen one' is tempted by the dark side, and he must sacrifice himself out of love to protect the world...

hmm...

Anyways, personally I think Harry Potter is a great book for kids because it teaches morality without getting obnoxiously preachy. My mother and I would have complex discussions about morality and we would often use Harry Potter and his friends as examples.

I always give Harry Potter to kids for their birthday (with parent's permission of course). What a great way to get kids into reading!

I even have a pristine set of books I purchased a few years ago that I plan to give to my children when they are old enough. I feel that Harry Potter is a secular Narnia.

I wouldn't attribute the "chosen one" and the "temptation by darkness" to be a christian tone in the books. That is more of a Star Wars theme! Having said that there are obvious parallels. That is a likely cause of the hero complex that exists in a lot of literature, myths and folklore. I have no idea if she is a christian but I don't recall any explicitly christian messages within it. I find it more likely that, since she is British, she left religion out of it entirely so it would appeal to a wider audience. Irregardless of her beliefs.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-07-2011, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 09:35 AM by myst32.)
(27-07-2011 08:02 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  He's the 'chosen one' is tempted by the dark side, and he must sacrifice himself out of love to protect the world...

By that standard the Matrix is also Christian...

(27-07-2011 07:14 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Oh. Well, now it makes sense. As long as we don't know what they actually said or wrote, we can be sure atheists are immoral.

hehehehe Correct!!

27-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Narnia is an awesome children's series, just like The Lord of the Rings I didn't pay any attention to christian undertones in these series. The main thing parents need to realize is that these crazy ideas they are worried about probably won't even be noticed by the kids. If your child picks up a book and starts thumbing through it be happy about it, and if after asking them to show it to you it's not a book for them, you just have to use the regular we can't get this one right now and move on. You control your child's finances don't be stupid and create complexes as well. That little girl is definitely going to be reading that book and paying a lot of attention to find out what about it her mom doesn't want her to know. Some parents just can't remember how they acted as kids.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.