Harvard bans professor sex with undergrads

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Harvard bans professor sex with undergrads
What's the world coming to when profs can't have sex with students? Isn't that one of the perks of tenure? Maybe they will increase salaries to compensate for the lost opportunity.

Seriously, I understand banning sex when a student is enrolled in the class, but otherwise they are consenting adults. I generally support Title 9 but this is going too far.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02...story.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like freetoreason's post
08-02-2015, 05:36 AM
RE: Harvard bans professor sex with undergrads
Just a strain of thought here. If I owned a buiseness with several people working for me and an option of promotion being there. I would want that promotion to go to the people who would deserve it most based on their acomplishments. If one of my higher ranked workers were to sleep with another worker who is seeking that promotion, I would fire both of them.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
08-02-2015, 05:47 AM
(08-02-2015 05:36 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Just a strain of thought here. If I owned a buiseness with several people working for me and an option of promotion being there. I would want that promotion to go to the people who would deserve it most based on their acomplishments. If one of my higher ranked workers were to sleep with another worker who is seeking that promotion, I would fire both of them.

That's not really the same thing at all. Sounds like you would want to ban students have sex with each other.
08-02-2015, 06:47 AM
(08-02-2015 05:47 AM)Machias Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 05:36 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Just a strain of thought here. If I owned a buiseness with several people working for me and an option of promotion being there. I would want that promotion to go to the people who would deserve it most based on their acomplishments. If one of my higher ranked workers were to sleep with another worker who is seeking that promotion, I would fire both of them.

That's not really the same thing at all. Sounds like you would want to ban students have sex with each other.

How did you get that out of what I posted?????? If you want to argue against strawmen go find a weat field.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
08-02-2015, 06:58 AM
freetoreason: Banning sex when student and teacher are in the same classroom is acceptable, otherwise it isn't.

The Germans are coming: Teachers may be biased if they sleep with one of their students.

Machias: That's not the same thing, you want to ban sex between students.

The Germans are coming: lolwut

Guys, please, please try to read each other's posts. This thread is a mess.

(OP's alright though)

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
08-02-2015, 07:04 AM
(08-02-2015 06:47 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 05:47 AM)Machias Wrote:  That's not really the same thing at all. Sounds like you would want to ban students have sex with each other.

How did you get that out of what I posted?????? If you want to argue against strawmen go find a weat field.

I read it to mean that you were saying your workers shouldn't sleep with each other and you would fire them if they did.
08-02-2015, 08:27 AM
In my country students can't have sex with professors in university because of several reasons, namely that it can favour their grades and professors are obliged to be impartial and fair. After graduation though everything goes

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
08-02-2015, 08:46 AM
The old rule was fine. No sex with students where you control their grade. Same should go in any workplace for a manager in control of promotion and salary, male or female.

But we need to get past the idea that sex is good for men but bad for women, if women are going to have an equal place. Sex feels good, and whether casual or loving, is a way of expressing that you find someone desirable, emotionally or physically. Desirability is a fundamental human need.

But here we are once again legislating for less sex because of the twisted view that men are just trying to use women, whatever that means, and women need to be protected from their own decisions about what to do with their sexuality. Damn't, we need more sex, more loving kindness, more open expression of affection, not more straight jackets.

Btw as a man who loves women and advocates for their rights, this kind of thing makes me feel like I'm labeled a predator.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
08-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I find this all pretty disturbing, but I haven't read the actual policy yet. The question is "Where does this stop ?" What if two people meet, THEN later one is promoted and the other later wants to take a class ? What about graduate teaching assistants and their students ? What about two underdgrads who meet and one is 1 year ahead, and BECOMES a faculty member ? The fact is I dropped a class (at Cal Tech) purposely so I could date the ER doc that was teaching the class, and he turned out to be be Mr. Right. My first impression is that the admins should mind their own fucking business. People are either adults at 18, or they're not. Can't have it both ways. I've taken classes from someone I discovered had been hired by a family member when he was an admin. Should that be illegal ? What about kids from families that take classes from people sitting in endowed chairs by a their family ? Their is no end to this bullshit once it gets started. If academic integrity can't be assumed, we're all up Shit Creek.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-02-2015, 09:57 AM
While it can be said 18 and consent makes sex legal, the problem with a person in power and a subordinate having sex can have a look of conflict of interest. And even with adults on the workplace power can be abused and that is enough to have a policy.

AT BEST you might allow the dating to happen if the two are not in the same class or field, but even then. And being a teen myself and even in my early 20s hormones can be for many mistaken for love, it certainly was for me.

I think it is simply better not to allow it to avoid any problems in a breakup even if consensual. Divorces in marriage outside this can be quite bitter and messy and full of false accusations. A teacher/student relationship can emotionally ruin a student and or ruin the career of the Professor.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post