Harvard bans professor sex with undergrads

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Harvard bans professor sex with undergrads
Meh... I slept with a professor.

I'd give him very a low B ... truth be told, more like a C. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
08-02-2015, 10:24 AM
(08-02-2015 09:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  While it can be said 18 and consent makes sex legal, the problem with a person in power and a subordinate having sex can have a look of conflict of interest. And even with adults on the workplace power can be abused and that is enough to have a policy.

AT BEST you might allow the dating to happen if the two are not in the same class or field, but even then. And being a teen myself and even in my early 20s hormones can be for many mistaken for love, it certainly was for me.

I think it is simply better not to allow it to avoid any problems in a breakup even if consensual. Divorces in marriage outside this can be quite bitter and messy and full of false accusations. A teacher/student relationship can emotionally ruin a student and or ruin the career of the Professor.

Life is dangerous. You can get hit by a bus tomorrow. Is that a reason to ban buses ? A teacher in a different department has no "power" over anyone.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-02-2015, 11:05 AM
(08-02-2015 10:16 AM)kim Wrote:  Meh... I slept with a professor.

Curious, who initiated it? We're you taking a class from them? Did you tell other students?
08-02-2015, 11:47 AM
(08-02-2015 05:36 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Just a strain of thought here. If I owned a buiseness with several people working for me and an option of promotion being there. I would want that promotion to go to the people who would deserve it most based on their acomplishments. If one of my higher ranked workers were to sleep with another worker who is seeking that promotion, I would fire both of them.

You would be destroyed in a jobs tribunal for sacking people for that reason.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
08-02-2015, 12:02 PM
(08-02-2015 10:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 09:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  While it can be said 18 and consent makes sex legal, the problem with a person in power and a subordinate having sex can have a look of conflict of interest. And even with adults on the workplace power can be abused and that is enough to have a policy.

AT BEST you might allow the dating to happen if the two are not in the same class or field, but even then. And being a teen myself and even in my early 20s hormones can be for many mistaken for love, it certainly was for me.

I think it is simply better not to allow it to avoid any problems in a breakup even if consensual. Divorces in marriage outside this can be quite bitter and messy and full of false accusations. A teacher/student relationship can emotionally ruin a student and or ruin the career of the Professor.

Life is dangerous. You can get hit by a bus tomorrow. Is that a reason to ban buses ? A teacher in a different department has no "power" over anyone.

Please don't tell me you love guns and you are a Libertarian or Republican. Life is dangerous? No kidding, which is why we have regulations, like traffic lights and speed limits, and health inspectors for the food joints you eat at.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2015, 04:33 PM
(08-02-2015 12:02 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 10:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Life is dangerous. You can get hit by a bus tomorrow. Is that a reason to ban buses ? A teacher in a different department has no "power" over anyone.

Please don't tell me you love guns and you are a Libertarian or Republican. Life is dangerous? No kidding, which is why we have regulations, like traffic lights and speed limits, and health inspectors for the food joints you eat at.

No. Hahaha. Not a chance. Tongue (Well I am *sort* of a Libertarian*).
But there is only so much you can to to protect people from their own stupidity.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-02-2015, 08:43 AM
(08-02-2015 11:05 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 10:16 AM)kim Wrote:  Meh... I slept with a professor.

Curious, who initiated it? We're you taking a class from them? Did you tell other students?

Initiation was mutual ... possibly more me. At the time, my marriage was crumbling and he seemed safe & free. I think he was surprised - he was much older. I was in advanced independent classes with him but grades & class situations were not effected.

Kiss & tell? How gouache. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
09-02-2015, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 05:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-02-2015 01:01 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  What's the world coming to when profs can't have sex with students?

They were asking for class participation.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-02-2015, 08:52 PM
(09-02-2015 08:43 AM)kim Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 11:05 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  Curious, who initiated it? We're you taking a class from them? Did you tell other students?

Initiation was mutual ... possibly more me. At the time, my marriage was crumbling and he seemed safe & free. I think he was surprised - he was much older. I was in advanced independent classes with him but grades & class situations were not effected.

Kiss & tell? How gouache. Drinking Beverage

The much older thing is interesting to me. That's usually how it is with profs and students. I don't get why a young woman that age is interested in someone 20+ years older? Maybe it's the position.

I'm a prof. Sometimes I'm shocked by what are very clear opportunities. It's too dangerous a game, but honestly incredibly difficult to resist. I tell myself I'm imagining. Big part of why I'm so damn horny all the time.

But I'm also a feminist who feels strongly about women's rights and not objectifying them. I'm vocal about it, and a leader on the issue in my sphere. I have loads of guilt, feeling like a hypocrite. Maybe that's why I feel so strongly about sexual freedom, to ease the guilt. Maybe the feminism is compensation. It sucks. I'm afraid I will fail and lose everything. It's biology damn't! When young I wanted older women, now the opposite.

If society didn't judge it, and we were truly equal, we could just love each other freely, and there wouldn't need to be all this concern about objectification. It's very complicated for me. God I love women. Kill me now.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
09-02-2015, 08:59 PM
That's why I didn't become a teacher! Undecided