Has America created a dictatorship?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 11:17 AM by Patriot10mm.)
Has America created a dictatorship?
Disclaimer: Although I'm going to use President Obama's name, this has more to do with politics than any individual president. I only use his name because his are the most recent examples.

My issue is with these executive orders. If a president can issue an executive order of great significance, how can it be stopped?

For example, President Obama's executive order on immigration. If the Senate and house pass bills declaring the order invalid, Obama can simply Veto the bill. There is no way to block the order. The congress votes along party lines, and they can't reach a 2/3 majority to be veto proof.

The same situation with the Cuba thing. Obama can simply veto any bill that attempts to block his Cuba changes.

That is why the executive was never meant to create laws, only execute them. Each president takes it a little bit further, until when? Where do we draw a line? A future president could sign an executive order doing anything on their parties agenda, and without a 2/3 majority to stop it we just have to deal with it? That was not the intent of the constitution. People on one side don't care until it's a president they don't agree with. What if it was an executive order banning abortions after the first trimester? Or requiring ID to vote? Or banning gay marriage. And without 2/3 majority it couldn't be stopped?

We're creating a monster.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 11:30 AM
RE: Has America created a dictatorship?
(21-12-2014 11:12 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Disclaimer: Although I'm going to use President Obama's name, this has more to do with politics than any individual president. I only use his name because his are the most recent examples.

My issue is with these executive orders. If a president can issue an executive order of great significance, how can it be stopped?

For example, President Obama's executive order on immigration. If the Senate and house pass bills declaring the order invalid, Obama can simply Veto the bill. There is no way to block the order. The congress votes along party lines, and they can't reach a 2/3 majority to be veto proof.

The same situation with the Cuba thing. Obama can simply veto any bill that attempts to block his Cuba changes.

That is why the executive was never meant to create laws, only execute them. Each president takes it a little bit further, until when? Where do we draw a line? A future president could sign an executive order doing anything on their parties agenda, and without a 2/3 majority to stop it we just have to deal with it? That was not the intent of the constitution. People on one side don't care until it's a president they don't agree with. What if it was an executive order banning abortions after the first trimester? Or requiring ID to vote? Or banning gay marriage. And without 2/3 majority it couldn't be stopped?

Quote:Like both legislative statutes and regulations promulgated by government agencies, executive orders are subject to judicial review, and may be struck down if deemed by the courts to be unsupported by statute or the Constitution

If a Congress is as do-nothing as the most recent ones, what other choice do a president have? Does he let Congress take over the Executive via blackmail?

Why does a Congress, knowing that the Senate will not pass the bill, vote 50 times to repeal Universal Health Care?

If Congress' approval rating was higher than 11-13%, one might have reason to want them to have more influence.
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
21-12-2014, 11:42 AM
(21-12-2014 11:30 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:12 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Disclaimer: Although I'm going to use President Obama's name, this has more to do with politics than any individual president. I only use his name because his are the most recent examples.

Quote:Like both legislative statutes and regulations promulgated by government agencies, executive orders are subject to judicial review, and may be struck down if deemed by the courts to be unsupported by statute or the Constitution

If a Congress is as do-nothing as the most recent ones, what other choice do a president have? Does he let Congress take over the Executive via blackmail?

Why does a Congress, knowing that the Senate will not pass the bill, vote 50 times to repeal Universal Health Care?

If Congress' approval rating was higher than 11-13%, one might have reason to want them to have more influence.

The answer is Obvious. The people want rid of Obamacare. The 2010 midterms gave 60+ more seats to Republicans in the House so they could overturn it, the largest swing ever. The House of reps are the direct representation of the people in the congress because they are voted in by district. In 2014 midterms the Senate also switched to Republicans to finish the job. The people have spoken, but haven't reached a 2/3 majority yet. After two more years of executive orders, we just might reach it.

21-12-2014, 11:45 AM
(21-12-2014 11:42 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:30 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  If a Congress is as do-nothing as the most recent ones, what other choice do a president have? Does he let Congress take over the Executive via blackmail?

The answer is Obvious. The people want rid of Obamacare.

So, where do you get your health insurance from?

#sigh
21-12-2014, 11:47 AM
(21-12-2014 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:42 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  The answer is Obvious. The people want rid of Obamacare.

So, where do you get your health insurance from?
I pay for it through USAA out of my own check.

21-12-2014, 11:57 AM
(21-12-2014 11:47 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So, where do you get your health insurance from?
I pay for it through USAA out of my own check.

Assurant Health participates in the ACA. Not sure why'd you go through a middleman like USAA instead of just buying it direct. And if you're eligible for subsidies and don't take them out of priniciple .... well there's no accounting for stupid.

#sigh
21-12-2014, 12:08 PM
(21-12-2014 11:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:47 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I pay for it through USAA out of my own check.

Assurant Health participates in the ACA. Not sure why'd you go through a middleman like USAA instead of just buying it direct. And if you're eligible for subsidies and don't take them out of priniciple .... well there's no accounting for stupid.
I would never use a subsidy. I would never use food stamps. Or welfare. Even if I were eligible. I've worked two jobs when needed, and so has my girlfriend.

21-12-2014, 12:10 PM
(21-12-2014 11:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  well there's no accounting for stupid.

Maybe...but there is accounting for dummies which is pretty close to the same thing.

[Image: 554757.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
21-12-2014, 12:18 PM
(21-12-2014 12:08 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Assurant Health participates in the ACA. Not sure why'd you go through a middleman like USAA instead of just buying it direct. And if you're eligible for subsidies and don't take them out of priniciple .... well there's no accounting for stupid.
I would never use a subsidy. I would never use food stamps. Or welfare. Even if I were eligible. I've worked two jobs when needed, and so has my girlfriend.

Never is a very long time.
21-12-2014, 12:21 PM
You need to learn what an executive order is.

Quote:President Obama has issued 184 orders so far in his presidency. His predecessor, President George W. Bush, issued 291 orders over eight years

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2014/...cal-terms/

Were you complaining about Bush, too?

Now I'll tell you what America has created. A pluto-kleptocracy ( rule by rich thieves) who buy elections and congressmen to serve their interests, not ours.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 7 users Like Minimalist's post