Has America created a dictatorship?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 01:27 PM
RE: Has America created a dictatorship?
(21-12-2014 12:42 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I work and pay taxes and these are my opinions.

And you have every right to hold them. My only suggestion would be that there is a while world of colors out there and limiting yourself to black and white seems , well, limiting.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 02:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-12-2014 01:02 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  You are correct, and I'm glad you brought that up because that was my next point. A VA Loan is a "benefit." I earned it through 10 years of service, 2 middle east deployments, missing the birth of my daughter, etc. It's a BENEFIT that was earned.

How do you feel about retirees that were promised a "retirement benefit" in the commercial sector that are now being dismantled piece by piece. How do you feel about a GirlyMan who started in the USN and ended up a GS 15-10 30 years later having my "promised" retirement benefits attacked by Congress?

"Do you feel what I feel?
Can we make that so it's part of the deal?"

who else is gonna bring you a bottle of rain

#sigh
21-12-2014, 01:42 PM
I prefer the Rod Stewart version.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
21-12-2014, 01:43 PM
(21-12-2014 01:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm a regular American

That means you take a shit every day without fail... things you learn in English class...

Ol' Patriot seems like a bit of an... irregular American Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-12-2014, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 02:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-12-2014 01:42 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I prefer the Rod Stewart version.

Why? His rendition of it is terrible.

#sigh
21-12-2014, 01:53 PM
(21-12-2014 11:12 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Disclaimer: Although I'm going to use President Obama's name, this has more to do with politics than any individual president. I only use his name because his are the most recent examples.

My issue is with these executive orders. If a president can issue an executive order of great significance, how can it be stopped?

For example, President Obama's executive order on immigration. If the Senate and house pass bills declaring the order invalid, Obama can simply Veto the bill. There is no way to block the order. The congress votes along party lines, and they can't reach a 2/3 majority to be veto proof.

The same situation with the Cuba thing. Obama can simply veto any bill that attempts to block his Cuba changes.

That is why the executive was never meant to create laws, only execute them. Each president takes it a little bit further, until when? Where do we draw a line? A future president could sign an executive order doing anything on their parties agenda, and without a 2/3 majority to stop it we just have to deal with it? That was not the intent of the constitution. People on one side don't care until it's a president they don't agree with. What if it was an executive order banning abortions after the first trimester? Or requiring ID to vote? Or banning gay marriage. And without 2/3 majority it couldn't be stopped?

We're creating a monster.

You don't understand how it works. Obama can recognize Cuba, as that is well within the purview of Executive functions. He cannot lift the economic embargo because there about about a half-dozen laws that specifically cover it. He could not issue an EO forbidding abortion, as the SCOTUS has held (Roe v. Wade) that it is a fundamental right. SS marriage is basically in the same boat.

In short, he can issue directives in certain limited circumstances. And if he were really acting in opposition to what the country wanted, voters could elect veto proof majorities.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2014, 01:55 PM
(21-12-2014 01:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 01:42 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I prefer the Rod Stewart version.

Why? His cover of it is terrible.

That's live. I like the album version.

21-12-2014, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 02:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-12-2014 01:55 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 01:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why? His cover of it is terrible.

That's live. I like the album version.

All right. I'll give it a ride. ... Yes you're right. That's much better than live.

#sigh
21-12-2014, 02:11 PM
GirlyMan, what did you do in the Navy?

21-12-2014, 02:25 PM
(21-12-2014 02:11 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  GirlyMan, what did you do in the Navy?

Machinist's Mate, E4.

#sigh