Has Anyone Else Seen This?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2017, 10:37 AM
RE: Has Anyone Else Seen This?
Nope... no changes to policing in my town recently. Oh wait...

Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2017, 11:53 AM
(07-03-2017 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 06:17 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Something to remember when being pulled over (and this is just what I do). "If" I get pulled over I roll down my front and back widows and keep my hands on the steering wheel at all times until instructed to do otherwise. DO NOT make any sudden moves. I sympathise with Law Enforcement Officers. In recent times they have gotten a bad rap (sometimes deservedly so) but the vast majority of officers out there are are just doing their jobs and "most" do their job to the best of their ability and want to protect the public and go home to see their family. Every run in I've had with an officer they have "usually" been very professional. But looking at it from their point of view (and I work with them quite often) I can empathise with the stresses that come with that job. So I try to make it as easy on them as possible. If you're in the wrong just accept it and move on. Try to not make that mistake again.

As much as what you say makes sense, American cops sound craaaazy. "Don't make any sudden moves" is advice you give to people confronted by a wild animal. For fucks sake, they should be able to deal with people without that level of fear factor?

Well... I say that looking from a Law Enforcement point of view. A routine traffic stop can turn from normal to horrific in the blink of an eye. I would hate to be the one walking up to a car with tinted windows (and mine are tinted dark) and not know what is going on inside the vehicle. When I say try not to make any sudden moves what I mean by that is just follow the officer's orders and politely give them the information they ask for.

So as a courtesy I roll down my windows and keep my hands where they can be seen. I do as the officer instructs and there is no issue. Yes... there are bad cops out there. We all know this. But the vast majority are good and want to go good in the community they serve. So when you say that "they should be able to deal with people without that level of fear factor" I'd have to respectfully disagree. You never know what a person's true intentions are. They are here to protect and serve us. And I for one respect that level of commitment.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
07-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I haven't seen an increase in police activity, but I have seen an increase in the number of Trump campaign bumper stickers. It's as though people were embarrassed about supporting him prior to the election, but now that he won, they can admit it.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM
(07-03-2017 11:53 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  As much as what you say makes sense, American cops sound craaaazy. "Don't make any sudden moves" is advice you give to people confronted by a wild animal. For fucks sake, they should be able to deal with people without that level of fear factor?

Well... I say that looking from a Law Enforcement point of view. A routine traffic stop can turn from normal to horrific in the blink of an eye. I would hate to be the one walking up to a car with tinted windows (and mine are tinted dark) and not know what is going on inside the vehicle. When I say try not to make any sudden moves what I mean by that is just follow the officer's orders and politely give them the information they ask for.

So as a courtesy I roll down my windows and keep my hands where they can be seen. I do as the officer instructs and there is no issue. Yes... there are bad cops out there. We all know this. But the vast majority are good and want to go good in the community they serve. So when you say that "they should be able to deal with people without that level of fear factor" I'd have to respectfully disagree. You never know what a person's true intentions are. They are here to protect and serve us. And I for one respect that level of commitment.

Ah well, you see, I live in one of the more violent societies of our planet, if only by reputation - actually we're significantly more cuddly than people believe - and cops here though they carry guns and though they do frequently get shot at, for some reason are not scared stiff of everyone they stop and don't tend to freak out and shoot them.

While I respect your crowd's commitment to doing good etc, if that commitment can be shattered by merely making a sudden move then I submit that you guys have a problem. I further submit that if a cop is that goddamn jumpy that there's a credible risk he's gonna shoot people he stops, then all he needs to do is *not* stop people.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Haven't noticed the police but I have seen ICE agents twice now.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-03-2017, 03:07 PM
I can only say 'after the election' because that's when it started to happen. I can't really say anything else as before then I never really did notice it. It was only until after the election did everything pick up suddenly. It's one thing if it was done over the course of a few weeks. But to suddenly see a car pull over almost every day was a bit confusing to me.

Just was wondering if anyone else saw this. I'm not really 'worried' just curious.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
07-03-2017, 04:46 PM
(07-03-2017 11:53 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Yes... there are bad cops out there. We all know this. But the vast majority are good and want to go good in the community they serve.

Statements like this always make me reflect on Bukowski's view:

"... when a man puts that uniform on ... he is the paid protector of things of the present time. He is here to see that things stay the way they are.
If you like the way things are, then all cops are good cops. If you don’t like the way things are, then all cops are bad cops
."
-- Charles Bukowski: Notes on the Pest, from the collection Tales of Ordinary Madness

As a practical matter, though, you don't argue with the cops; you argue with the judge. Judges, typically, are not armed. Undecided

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
12-03-2017, 03:01 PM
(07-03-2017 03:07 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I can only say 'after the election' because that's when it started to happen. I can't really say anything else as before then I never really did notice it. It was only until after the election did everything pick up suddenly. It's one thing if it was done over the course of a few weeks. But to suddenly see a car pull over almost every day was a bit confusing to me.

Just was wondering if anyone else saw this. I'm not really 'worried' just curious.
As an old-timer once opined to me, "some cops like the feel of their goddamned authority". Or as a retired cop once told me, there are only two kinds of cops in his view, those who join the force out of idealism and a desire to protect / serve / make a difference, and those who originally joined for that reason and are now embittered and cynical.

At any rate ... it stands to reason that the Assholes In Blue will be emboldened by Trumpism. This seems most noticeable in the border security services like ICE. It seems unlikely to me that even a few weeks of Trump's extreme xenophobia and nationalism could have transformed these folks into goon squads that are dragging people awaiting brain surgery out of the hospital, separating mothers from children, harassing people with proper credentials including degreed professionals and gainfully employed scientists, etc. It seems there must have just been a lot of people secretly wishing they could do all this shit and now thrilled that they, nudge-wink, CAN. There has always been a much more watered-down concept of respect for human rights at the borders, particularly for non-citizens. There has always been rampant profiling, so I'm given to understand.

I saw today a semi-viral video out of (I think) North Carolina about an lawyer moonlighting as an Uber driver* who gets pulled over and the cop is giving him attitude and says it's not legal to film him. He just calmly says, I'm just sitting in my car, and yes it's legal to film you. The situation starts to shift when he lets on that he's a lawyer and offers to show the cop his bar association card. But the cop looks away, considering his options. Ultimately, just Because He Can, he calls for a K-9 unit and has the guy's car searched and finds nothing. After the video went viral, the local PD was forced to publicly admit that it's NOT illegal to film police so long as it's not interfering with operations, which no passive filming ever could.

So ... is the OP the victim of confirmation bias? Possibly. Is there something to the concern? Probably. I don't expect to have problems in the liberal area I live in, especially if I avoid the county police and stay in town. If I lived in more of a "mean streets" sort of environment, I'd keep an even lower profile than normal.

* Granted, what kind of lawyer is motivated to moonlight as an Uber driver? He was young and, I assume, paying off student loans and/or under-employed at the moment. Perhaps still a grad student.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
13-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Not much happening in my part of the US (North East), in fact I pass the local PD station almost daily and have noticed three patrol cars parked in the same spot for the last three months, haven't the foggiest notion as to why but it seems a wast of resources not to mention what happened to the officers who would/should be using them.

Probably will never know but it bothers me that the town is not as well patrolled or safe as in the past.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself