Has Jesus "converted" many theists into atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2016, 07:42 AM
RE: Has Jesus "converted" many theists into atheists?
(18-10-2016 11:22 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 01:53 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ......... Your "miracle" started with a huge assumption upon which the rest of the story was built.

Please state clear and concise the alleged assumption.
What was not clear about the link I posted here? Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2016, 09:13 AM
(19-10-2016 07:29 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 05:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  .......... Believing without good evidence is not rational.

And what do you do, when you ask for directions in a foreign city? You trust the people around.

I dont know about things where you are living your pathetic life, but where i am living we are asking our navis, the ones that come with the car, or the ones you additionally buy. Drinking Beverage

Ohh, and how often did the directions from those strangers work, and how often not? Consider

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
19-10-2016, 09:49 AM
(19-10-2016 05:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  .......... Believing without good evidence is not rational.

And what do you do, when you ask for directions in a foreign city? You trust the people around.

What a stupid argument, even for you. I trust people to give directions because that is a common occurrence and the odds that I will get reasonable directions are very high. My trust is not based on blind, unevidenced faith but on past experience and knowledge of the experiences of others. It also isn't absolute -- I know I might get bad directions and am prepared to ask again if things don't appear to be right. Trust, but verify.

Faith, in the religious sense, is not at all the same thing as trust based on evidence. It isn't the same as hope or speculation or any of the other things that theists try to conflate it with. I trust things and people, I hope for things and events, I speculate about possibilities, and I believe claims that are supported. I just understand the differences between those things.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
21-10-2016, 05:25 AM
(19-10-2016 07:29 AM)theBorg Wrote:  And what do you do, when you ask for directions in a foreign city...

[Image: 55451581.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
21-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Actually I don't; I've not trusted people for directions since the NYPD officer's directions landed me on an Express train to Queens instead of to the station I was asking for...

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post