Has anybody tried to get someone to stop taking Homeopathy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Has anybody tried to get someone to stop taking Homeopathy?
I have a friend who admitted that she ONLY takes homeopathic medicine for her family.

Her response to me after I told her that Homepathy is just snake oil and science proved that it does not work.
Quote:Adam, I'm so sorry you are very wrong. You will just have to live with the knowledge that 16 children though my home responding from birth-ish age on up to talking toddler, is enough evidence to me that you know nothing of what you repeat from reading online.
What more do you want from me? lol You need to drop the subject and leave the people who are watching the results with their own eyes to their findings. You can rant and rave all you want about YouTube videos that anyone can make up. You're the one who will believe anyone. If I wanted I could waste my time sending you links of videos telling you the videos you found on YouTube are full of crap but I would rather watch a movie. Sorry! Go listen to some peaceful Adam music and BE-lax! (relax). Wink

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Doctor's post
12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
RE: Has anybody tried to get someone to stop taking Homeopathy?
You can't tell me my lizard's foot charm DOESN'T keep witches away.

28 years lived and not a single witch has shown up at my door.
-
-
-
-
I just got my new bottle of medicine in the mail today. It's called Placebo Effect and is to be taken daily with a glass of gullibility.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
BTW these are the videos I used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYFwT1LcBdI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh_9WcU3lc4

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
12-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I love how people like this equate you telling them they are wrong about something with you "ranting and raving." And anger - there's always lots of anger.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Wow.. The only thing I can suggest is explain to her what a placebo effect is! Also provide a lot of proof. Avoid youtube videos since she seems unconvinced by them, instead send her scientific journals and articles. I know a lot of journals released findings regarding Homeopathy and the placebo effect, including the Lancet. Good luck Smile
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
(12-01-2011 03:15 PM)mBear Wrote:  Wow.. The only thing I can suggest is explain to her what a placebo effect is! Also provide a lot of proof. Avoid youtube videos since she seems unconvinced by them, instead send her scientific journals and articles. I know a lot of journals released findings regarding Homeopathy and the placebo effect, including the Lancet. Good luck Smile

I have...
Homeopathy — Still Crazy
After All These Years
by Harriet Hall, MD
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/09-01-14/

Her response after posting science reports:
Quote: Adam, I use it often and it works perfectly well. Just because you want to follow what those people tell you doesn't mean you have to stop thinking. They even have homeopathic immunizations. The concept of stimulating the body to respond according to it's need is not even unscientific. Standard immunizations provide the same response but on a higher level and also with the creation of antibodies. Are you going to tell me it's not acceptable? lol

If someone eats dirt everyday they will look like the eat dirt, the body will respond poorly. If someone eats nourishing food (not crap) everyday the body will respond well. The body responds to what you give it to process.
Take something simple like "Teething Tablets". If give them to my 6 m-o when they gripe and they stops every time, is it working? I doubt they know what is going on in their mind, their body is simply responding. We have has 16 babies live in our home and EVERYONE of them settled down after teething tablets.
When you say Homeopathy doesn't work I LAUGH in your FACE! lol

I gave her this:
http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vsten...omeop.html
HOMEOPATHY AND SCIENCE: A CLOSER LOOK

David W. Ramey, DVM*
Mahlon Wagner, PhD^
Robert H. Imrie, DVM`
Victor Stenger, PhD#
To be published in The Technology Journal of the Franklin Institute

Her response:
Quote:We're not talking about faith here Adam, we are talking about using a product for it's results. If it works, there is your proof.
However, because direct natural things (like plants, trees, etc) can not have a patent placed on them they are discounted as not "real". They can patent Brand X but that does not stop anyone else from making the same product and then out selling the Brand X. Therefore, it is not lucrative for pharmaceutical companies to put research or time into products made using easily accessible things (like plants, trees, etc.).
I don't care what Harriet Hall says, no offense to her -I've never heard of her as most people have not. For every one book written with a similar opinion as hers there are 30 books written with positive advise on using Homeopathy. So right there is a 30 to 1 proof it is good science. You can always find someone who will disagree. I will even allow you 30 to 1 odds you can find someone. (Probably very generous odds.) Like I said, it works and there is my proof.

[+] 1 user Likes The Doctor's post
12-01-2011, 03:28 PM

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. It is very likely that in the time she speaks of that her and her family really needed nothing from the conventional world of medicine. Most bacterial infections will clear up on their own in roughly the same time as in a child taking antibiotics if the childs immune system is in fairly good working order. For viral infections there truly are no medicines and as far as treating symptoms the homeopathic stuff is probably just as good. I mean my kids have never taken anything stronger than amoxycilin. So what specific medicines were you hoping she would try? Now if her or her family get really sick then I would hope she would relent, but for now why?
12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
(12-01-2011 03:28 PM)Dregs Wrote:  Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. It is very likely that in the time she speaks of that her and her family really needed nothing from the conventional world of medicine. Most bacterial infections will clear up on their own in roughly the same time as in a child taking antibiotics if the childs immune system is in fairly good working order. For viral infections there truly are no medicines and as far as treating symptoms the homeopathic stuff is probably just as good. I mean my kids have never taken anything stronger than amoxycilin. So what specific medicines were you hoping she would try? Now if her or her family get really sick then I would hope she would relent, but for now why?

I fully support her family letting their own bodies to do the healing, but I don't accept the idea that homeopathy work's better than actual medicine. I remember at the time at church (when I used to believe) she had an headace. I tried to gave her some asprin. She denied saying she had her own. Then I found later it was homeopathic pills.

I hate her losing money off to a charlatan.

12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
You can't debunk it, it's almost like a fundamentalist faith system. When people believe something like this it's almost impossible to make them budge. It's a comfortable idea and few understand a drug trial and a double blind test.

I wish I could help , but I'm in a similar pickle (what does this expression mean anyway ? )
12-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Did she say homeopathic immunization?! Confused

I'm starting to realize how dangerous homeopathy really is! I hope she goes to a real doctor if a family member gets seriously sick.

I gotta admit, I tried homeopathy out of curiosity. I suffer from chronic migraines, and basically have to either take strong painkillers or isolate myself in a darkroom for a day or two. Homeopathy offered me a cure for migraines, I was skeptical, so I had to try it. They did some weird tests and 'blood analysis' from which they were able to tell me where the stress was concentrated in my body (And people around here really believe in this bullshit). I ended up having to take 15 pills a day, and they even told me I should STOP taking my prescription medication (none of them were certified... anything actually. They didn't even know what my medication did! They weren't qualified to tell me to stop taking it). Either way, I wasn't surprised when the pills didn't 'cure' my migraine. I don't know how qualified a person has to be in order to give out homeopathic medication, but people shouldn't just trust anyone in scrubs or a lab coat. They sell those at walmart.
[+] 1 user Likes mBear's post