Has anybody tried to get someone to stop taking Homeopathy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
RE: Has anybody tried to get someone to stop taking Homeopathy?
She isn't going to change. Sorry to say it, but it's true. People who believe in homeopathy rarely ever realize how stupid the entire thing is.

You might ask her if she knows what homeopathy actually is, though. If she doesn't know... well, I've known a couple people who were just getting into homeopathy who realized how dumb it was when they heard.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
(12-01-2011 04:24 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  You might ask her if she knows what homeopathy actually is, though. If she doesn't know... well, I've known a couple people who were just getting into homeopathy who realized how dumb it was when they heard.

Chances are they will stay that way. Heck she believes God is much more important than science.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Beliefs that are started without a basis of logic are much more difficult to shake off, since there's really nothing to disprove.

Religion, aliens, the power of magnets, and homeo... uhh... homopathological medicine.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
13-01-2011, 12:08 AM
(12-01-2011 04:09 PM)mBear Wrote:  Did she say homeopathic immunization?! Confused
I'm starting to realize how dangerous homeopathy really is! I hope she goes to a real doctor if a family member gets seriously sick.

Death from homeopathy :
http://www.news.com.au/national/babys-ec...5708504277

Loose your sense of smell , with homeopathy :
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31388177/ns/...d_and_flu/

It is VERY dangerous , but sometimes you just can't reason with people.
13-01-2011, 07:49 AM
That's frightening. An adult using homeopathy is one thing, they are aware of the arguments against, and they still choose to use it. But using it for your children, especially babies, that crosses a line. If one of her kids got seriously sick, would she take them to a real doctor, or let them drink the magic homeopathic water until they die?

Let's say if one of her babies was diabetic. Would she take them to a real doctor to get them the insulin they need to live, or just give them over-priced water?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
25-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I share Dawkins opinion on this topic (and almost any other topic tooSmile), wich he wrote in one of his essays (It's in Devil's Chaplain, but i can't tell you witch essay it is, since i have the book in hungarian and i'm not sure what the english title is.) He sais that there is no homeopathy, "western" medicine, alterantive medicine, chinese medicine, and xy medicine. There are only medicine that works, and medicine that doesn't work.
So, what is used in hospitals, and by real (!) doctors, is not "western" or "artifical" treatment, it is treatment that works. What is not there, is either not working (may even be dangerous), or has not yet been proved to be working. What you can get in other non offical, "health centers", and stuff like that is there -and not in medical universities and hospitals- exactly because it does not work. Or it may work, but not as efficiently as other more modern treatments.
This categorisation is much more simple, and efficient, but it would ruin the nice income of homeopathy companies, charlatans....

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
25-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Personally ( i don't know if this might work), if there is no immediate danger to her or her family from homeopathy and she doesn't respond to logical arguments or scientific studies or simply the fact that the underlying ideas of homeopathy are... well, bunk, then you could try to drop the matter for a couple of months, and then try to slowly turn her towards a skeptical mindset, without mentioning homeopathy. You could try to find something that she agrees is bunk (there's enough of it out there, astronomy, phrenology, expanding earth theory, the lunar effect or even reptilians) and ones you've worked out a common ground then slowly bringing the same thought process and discussion towards alt-med and eventually homeopathy. And by slowly i mean over maybe weeks or even months.

That way she might just pick up some basic skeptical thinking whilst discussing the silliness of things such as the flat earth idea or bigfoot and eventually apply it to alt-med/homeopathy.

I don't know whether it works, but i think it might work better then a full on "homeopathy is bullshit and here's the proof" approach, which true believers tend to dismiss as close mindedness or something alike.

Hope this helps.
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 08:25 PM
So, I have an uncle who is a bit .... strange. He's brilliant, but he's strange. To give you an idea of how brilliant he is, back in the 1960s he worked for a military contractor as an engineer and he came up with some of the mathematical formulas used to put men on the moon. Seriously, he crunched the numbers and came up with some of the algorithms. And yet, if it wasn't for the social safety net in the US, as well as rent control, he'd probably be homeless right now.

Anyway, he believes that the modern pharmaceutical industry is a giant scam and exists solely to screw the public. Now, on this point, I don't think he's all that off the mark. However, he feels all they do is come up with things to treat symptoms, not cure problems. He won't take anything that is not a "cure". So, for example, if he has a headache he won't take an aspirin because it doesn't cure whatever is causing the headache, so why bother? I think this is a bit crazy, but ok, I can see the argument I guess. However, what he does believe in is these herbs and supplements that are completely unregulated, untested, and could have zero medicinal value. They are also produced by large corporations but the difference, my uncle believes, is these companies actually do have the consumers best interest at heart and these natural supplements are actually a "cure" for his various ailments (and he has a decent list of them, I won't bore you all with the details).

Anyway, in early December my uncle had a massive stroke. To give you an idea of how massive, per the doctors, 90 out of 100 people who had a stroke like this would have dropped dead pretty much on the spot. Of the 10 that survived, 9 of them would have suffered a wide range of symptoms including total loss of speech and partial or total paralysis on at least one side of their body. My uncle, through sheer luck and good fortune, is that 100th guy. He has his speech, he is not paralyzed, and while he has absolutely suffered some impairments from this, it is nothing like what it really should have been.

The upside of this, if there is an upside, is that he's now, finally, listening to the doctors. He believes them when they say he could have died and he's agreeing to take the medication they are prescribing for him (previously he had a script for blood thinners which, because of his age and income, he could have gotten for free. Instead he opted for an herbal blood thinner which not only was not free but he ran up thousands of dollars in credit card debt just to pay for it - he stopped taking it altogether because he could no longer afford them and that probably contributed to the stroke. Like I said -- strange).

So, the moral to the story is that trying to talk someone out of something they really believe is, 9 times out of 10, a wasted effort. However, many of these people may one day come face to face with the reality of their choices, and, sadly, most of them will not be nearly as lucky as my uncle.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-01-2011, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2011 03:27 AM by Chesstime.)
I'm not sure what homeopathy is; but by reading this thread it sounds worse than I thought. However, I do practice a SORT of homeopathy myself, But Please don't equate me with the weird shit you're talking about. When I had the flew, I ate Lots of garlic in my foods and even a bit raw. Home made Chicken/vegetable soup with Tons of veggies and garlic works better, but was too sick to go to supermarket. Why you ask? Because good foods nourish you: simple as that! Garlic is has natural Antibiotic properties, and my home made chicken veggie soup has so much good stuff in it, that it can't help but make you feel better. OK, I also had to buy sore throat lozenges, I confess. LOL

Oh, I forgot to say. If you're talking about herbs and things, they do have effects. And sometimes can work. But you should not outright choose one Over the other. For example, I still take Ibuprofen as my preferred headache Medicine. On the other hand, Have you read the labels of some famous cough syrups? Thyme, (Found in your kitchen spice rack) is often the expectorant!

That's all folks!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
26-01-2011, 03:44 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2011 04:21 AM by LeighJones.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7z0-FMUFFA

Yes, people become doctors to harm people, that's why they got into the profession, it's a huge conspiracy to keep people sick to keep selling them drugs *rolls eye*

I don't trust the pharmaceutical companies, but I trust the snake oil salesmen even less.

And how is it that no-one has linked tim minchin's 'storm' yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1yxDWxUIM0