Has anybody tried to get someone to stop taking Homeopathy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2011, 04:10 AM
RE: Has anybody tried to get someone to stop taking Homeopathy?
LMAO; I thought you were talking Metaphorically; but you actually meant "Snake Oil salesman"!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 04:49 PM
(26-01-2011 03:07 AM)Chesstime Wrote:  I'm not sure what homeopathy is; but by reading this thread it sounds worse than I thought. However, I do practice a SORT of homeopathy myself, But Please don't equate me with the weird shit you're talking about. When I had the flew, I ate Lots of garlic in my foods and even a bit raw. Home made Chicken/vegetable soup with Tons of veggies and garlic works better, but was too sick to go to supermarket. Why you ask? Because good foods nourish you: simple as that! Garlic is has natural Antibiotic properties, and my home made chicken veggie soup has so much good stuff in it, that it can't help but make you feel better. OK, I also had to buy sore throat lozenges, I confess. LOL

Oh, I forgot to say. If you're talking about herbs and things, they do have effects. And sometimes can work. But you should not outright choose one Over the other. For example, I still take Ibuprofen as my preferred headache Medicine. On the other hand, Have you read the labels of some famous cough syrups? Thyme, (Found in your kitchen spice rack) is often the expectorant!

That's all folks!

What you are doing is natural remedies. Which has active ingredients in them. Homeopathy does not have any active ingredients in it.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2011, 05:30 PM

(26-01-2011 04:49 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Homeopathy does not have any active ingredients in it.

Then how are they expected to work?

On the recommendation of a friend, I took Sambucol (says homeopathic on the box) when I had the flu. Didn't do a thing that I could tell.
Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 06:04 PM

(26-01-2011 05:30 PM)Mohanna Wrote:  
(26-01-2011 04:49 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Homeopathy does not have any active ingredients in it.

On the recommendation of a friend, I took Sambucol (says homeopathic on the box) when I had the flu. Didn't do a thing that I could tell.

Yeah, this is where homeopathy claims get completely bizarre.... they claim that water has memory and the memory imprint of the active ingredient are having the effect. And they even claim that the more dilute a remedy is, the stronger it is, which defies some fundamental laws of science i believe.
26-01-2011, 07:30 PM
(26-01-2011 04:49 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  
(26-01-2011 03:07 AM)Chesstime Wrote:  I'm not sure what homeopathy is; but by reading this thread it sounds worse than I thought. However, I do practice a SORT of homeopathy myself, But Please don't equate me with the weird shit you're talking about. When I had the flew, I ate Lots of garlic in my foods and even a bit raw. Home made Chicken/vegetable soup with Tons of veggies and garlic works better, but was too sick to go to supermarket. Why you ask? Because good foods nourish you: simple as that! Garlic is has natural Antibiotic properties, and my home made chicken veggie soup has so much good stuff in it, that it can't help but make you feel better. OK, I also had to buy sore throat lozenges, I confess. LOL

Oh, I forgot to say. If you're talking about herbs and things, they do have effects. And sometimes can work. But you should not outright choose one Over the other. For example, I still take Ibuprofen as my preferred headache Medicine. On the other hand, Have you read the labels of some famous cough syrups? Thyme, (Found in your kitchen spice rack) is often the expectorant!

That's all folks!

What you are doing is natural remedies. Which has active ingredients in them. Homeopathy does not have any active ingredients in it.
AH! Thank You (The) Doctor.

(Side Note) Tom Baker was always my favorite Doctor tooWink

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
27-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Quote:On the recommendation of a friend, I took Sambucol (says homeopathic on the box) when I had the flu. Didn't do a thing that I could tell.
Homeopathy works with placebo. You just didn't believe enough.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
27-01-2011, 07:56 AM

(26-01-2011 05:30 PM)Mohanna Wrote:  

there is a chance that some of the medicines could have 1 part of active ingredient per 1000000000000000000000000000000 parts of water.... the point is, it doesn't work, it's just expensive water. If it appears to work, it's either placebo or coincidence. Humans are constantly trying to find patterns in things There was an experiment done using birds. They would put a bird in front of a bird feeder that would release bird food at completely random intervals. After a while the bird would start repeating certain rituals like turning anti clockwise to try and get food because once when it did that, the bird feeder randomly released food so it continues doing what it believed was giving it food and it just ignored the times when it didn't work. Even though it is random it still believes doing this will give it food. Humans have the exact same patterns of thinking. if they do something and then get something as a result, they will continue doing that thing despite whether getting that result is caused by the action, like a person who believes that they have a lucky pair of socks that help them.
27-01-2011, 03:40 PM
If water has memory, how come drinking lots of water doesn't create measurable amounts of improvements in a person's memory? Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-01-2011, 10:44 PM

I just saw this today, I thought it was brilliant ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVV3QQ3wjC8
04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
http://articles.philly.com/2011-02-03/ne...ve-custody
My brother heard about this story on the radio. The link is to a newspaper from the city it occurred in, Philadelphia. Basically a 16 year old hurt his back wrestling and he and his parents want to treat him homeopathic-ally. Then the state stepped in...

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete