Has anyone ever made a tasty homemade fruitcake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 02:42 PM
RE: Has anyone ever made a tasty homemade fruitcake
(03-12-2015 08:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My aunt used to make a fruitcake that was actually good. I personally think that it gets a bum rap because too many people don't understand how to properly bake.

I wouldn't look to Rachel Ray for anything baking related. She's admitted far too many times that she doesn't bake (unless it's some crappy casserole).

But who knows, I gave up on food network when it was revealed that one "chef" was a fucking liar and what did the network do? Gave the fucker more shows. Bad, bad tv.

I didn't know RR wasn't a good baker. I've only made some of her dinner recipes, which were pretty good.

Back when I used to watch her 30 minute meals, she admitted it more than once. She doesn't like to measure and accurately measuring for baking is essential.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM
(03-12-2015 02:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 08:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I didn't know RR wasn't a good baker. I've only made some of her dinner recipes, which were pretty good.

Back when I used to watch her 30 minute meals, she admitted it more than once. She doesn't like to measure and accurately measuring for baking is essential.

Yeah, I remember her saying that more than once. I don't mind measuring carefully. What I like about R Rae is that she uses fairly common ingredients, sometimes stuff out of a....gasp....can. I don't have to go out to some speciality store to get an expensive, obscure mushroom that only grows on some mountain in the Himalayas and only during the full moon. She uses stiff I can actually find.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-12-2015, 03:54 PM
(03-12-2015 02:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What's the problem with the taste in the ones you make? I mean, is it something hard to make or do you not like th ingredients? (silly questions, but we have no fruitcakes in Greece)

And why does everyone hate them?

The only fruitcakes I've ever encountered are the ones people buy, and they're usually full of nasty stuff like candied orange peels (I am not making that up!). So I hate them. I'm sure a good one could be made by someone who knows how to cook and puts good stuff in it. I've just never encountered one of those.
03-12-2015, 04:18 PM
(03-12-2015 02:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What's the problem with the taste in the ones you make? I mean, is it something hard to make or do you not like th ingredients? (silly questions, but we have no fruitcakes in Greece)

Lucky you!

Partly yes, it is the ingredients. They have these neon green candied fruit things and orange peels and mushy raisins and different nuts and it's all cooked in rum in a flour cake-like mixture. I don't mind the nuts and the rum, it's all the other stuff I hate.

So all day yesterday I was thinking about my pending fruitcake making challenge and thinking of all the stuff I hate about fruitcakes. I came to the conclusion that it's definitely the fruit in the fruitcake that I hate. Love the nuts, the cinnamon spice and the nutmeg though.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to remove all the fruit, keep all the nuts, the spices and the rum, put a couple of pureed bananas in it for moisture and voila! I've got myself a fruitcake.

Some might be tempted to call it.....Dodgy.... Banana Nut Bread, I'm calling it Fruitcake though.

So there!Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-12-2015, 05:29 PM
My mother used to make pretty good fruitcake...even with that weird fruit in it. I suspect the amount of booze they had in them may have made my taste buds drunk because I have never really been a fan of any other fruitcake.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
03-12-2015, 06:53 PM
(03-12-2015 04:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Lucky you!

Partly yes, it is the ingredients. They have these neon green candied fruit things and orange peels and mushy raisins and different nuts and it's all cooked in rum in a flour cake-like mixture. I don't mind the nuts and the rum, it's all the other stuff I hate.

So all day yesterday I was thinking about my pending fruitcake making challenge and thinking of all the stuff I hate about fruitcakes. I came to the conclusion that it's definitely the fruit in the fruitcake that I hate. Love the nuts, the cinnamon spice and the nutmeg though.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to remove all the fruit, keep all the nuts, the spices and the rum, put a couple of pureed bananas in it for moisture and voila! I've got myself a fruitcake.

Some might be tempted to call it.....Dodgy.... Banana Nut Bread, I'm calling it Fruitcake though.

So there!Angry

Remove all the fruit? If you do, there will only be one fruitcake involved. Tongue

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-12-2015, 06:56 PM
I really hate McDonald's and Five Guys burgers; that doesn't mean I hate burgers.

It sure sounds like people hate bad fruitcake, not fruitcake. Drinking Beverage

03-12-2015, 06:57 PM
(03-12-2015 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Philistines. Censored

I am going to send all of you bigoted fruitcake haters a fruitcake for Xmas. Angry

I'll send you my address...I actually like fruitcake. Blush

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
03-12-2015, 09:59 PM
(03-12-2015 06:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Philistines. Censored

I am going to send all of you bigoted fruitcake haters a fruitcake for Xmas. Angry

I'll send you my address...I actually like fruitcake. Blush

Of course you do, you're a lady of refinement and good taste. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-12-2015, 11:13 PM
I have a neighbour who, with her husband, spends several WEEKS making fruitcake every Christmas:
Not that she makes that many cakes, it's just that each fruitcake takes weeks to make, because you need to add booze every few days or so and let it soak in very slowly.

Haven't had a chance to try the cake yet ... by the time I get over to wish them a happy New Years , she's run out of cake Sad I'll try to get the recipe.

(If you like the spicy/heavy/richness of fruitcake but don't like the fruit, you might want to try the Brit tradition of plum pudding with rum sauce .... mmmmm....)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom