Has anyone had the ancestry DNA testing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Has anyone had the ancestry DNA testing?
I hear ads for 23 & me (and various other companies) and over the years have had interest in geneology and family history.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this done? what company did you use? what info did you get back?

I think my family was a mix of various European countries, I'm wondering how well they can pin that down to a particular country....or will it just say Europe?

Any useful medical info?

just curious about what others experiences were.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 07:29 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: Has anyone had the ancestry DNA testing?
(28-02-2014 06:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I hear ads for 23 & me (and various other companies) and over the years have had interest in geneology and family history.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this done? what company did you use? what info did you get back?

I think my family was a mix of various European countries, I'm wondering how well they can pin that down to a particular country....or will it just say Europe?

Any useful medical info?

just curious about what others experiences were.

B&A, we had ours done by the National Geographic's Geno Project 2.0

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com

Men have both lineages traced while women only the mitrochondial. The findings were very interesting but not surprising. No medical value to the test. Cost $199.

Will share more in private PM when I return from trip.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-02-2014, 08:08 AM
I have been meaning to but haven't got around to it! My uncle traced my fathers side of the family back to the the 11th century in England. Apparently we are of noble descent which made tracing it back that far possible.Unsure

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
28-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Not ancestry DNA testing... descendant

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-02-2014, 09:26 AM
(28-02-2014 08:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Not ancestry DNA testing... descendant

Drinking Beverage

Blush

Need.......more........coffee

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-02-2014, 09:46 AM
is the grammar police squad growing around here? Dodgy

FC knew what I meant Tongue

01-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Re: RE: Has anyone had the ancestry DNA testing?
(28-02-2014 08:08 AM)Crulax Wrote:  I have been meaning to but haven't got around to it! My uncle traced my fathers side of the family back to the the 11th century in England. Apparently we are of noble descent which made tracing it back that far possible.Unsure

They say some insanely high percentage around 3/4ths of English people are descendants of William the Conqueror. Since he established what is England and had close to a dozen kids.

I haven't done it but have thought about it a lot. Especially since many podcasts I've listened to get sponsered by it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-03-2014, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 08:58 AM by Colourcraze.)
I thought 23&me had to stop selling their kits or something?

Edit: posted before googling... Apparently they're still doing the ancestry thingy but not any medical information.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
01-03-2014, 08:55 AM
(28-02-2014 07:14 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Men have both lineages traced while women only the mitrochondial. The findings were very interesting but not surprising. No medical value to the test. Cost $199.

So, I need to talk my brother into spending HIS money on it and sharing the results with me ?

Or, would it be better to test myself and husband to get the info for my children?

I think I just confused myself. Hobo

01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
So for my kids to get the info on all 4 grandparents I need to test my husband and my brother?